Running international drive

LisaManning

Earning My Ears
Hi I'm staying at the international palm resort on I drive and wondered if anyone knows of any good running routes thanks

Personally, I don't think I'd want to try running I-drive, but you should try going to a site like mapmyrun.com and searching for it. There are quite a few routes that others have used there.

I live on I-Drive. I really don't recommend running here - cars don't obey basic traffic laws, there are lots of tourists clogging the sidewalks, and it's just not fun at all. I actually drive to Boardwalk and do the path from World Showcase to Hollywood Studios or park at DTD early in the morning (there is never anyone there) and do 'laps' if I want to seriously exercise outside. Some other options are Universal Citywalk in the early morning/mid afternoon or the orange county trail but you'd need a car to get there (hotels usually have shuttles to the parks).

in general, I would agree with avoiding I Drive runs. But, I have attended an annual conference in the Hilton Garden Inn (its on the U Drive on the opposite side of Universal) and find the run there somewhat interesting. I would run early in the day before the area awakes. I do agree that if you are thinking of an afternoon run, there are many better options.

I ran to Universal Blvd and then over I-4 and circled the Universal complex. It is all side walk with few intersections once across the freeway. Note that you will want to cross Universal and run on the right (north or east) side of Universal... that side of the road's walk continues over the freeway.

As usual, practice good safety habits while out there.

I've never done it but I've heard of a path between DTD and Old Key West and was wondering how good it would be to run.I know it's gotta be about 1000x safer than running International Drive.

I've never done it but I've heard of a path between DTD and Old Key West and was wondering how good it would be to run.I know it's gotta be about 1000x safer than running International Drive.

It's a great path, though one where you should be closer to light than dark. Since the treehouses have reopened, the path is lit all the way to the treehouse bridge (from DTD). Between there and OKW it is dark.

If you are running in the dark, you should use a little caution as you approach the bridges. The pathway has a hill at the bridge to blend into the slope up the bridges. Also, early morning, this path is used heavily by golf course crews. If you see lights coming around a corner, pull off until they see you.

Other than that, it is a great run. There is water at the point where the practice green is located and water at all OKW pools. You can also combine the loops into the Treehouses and through SSR for more miles.

One of the neat things, if you do decide to run in the early hours... The DTD music system is cued up with motion sensors. There used to be a spot in DTD where you would hear the music magically appear.

Here is a loop through OKW and DTD
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/164105730/

One with SSR
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/5375436/

If you are driving over, the Boardwalk DHS loop is a better run in the early hours. One really needs to try to hit the guard shack at BWV about 0500 or later. They tend to want to turn you around if you are earlier due to safety issues (I have been warned a few times but always allowed in). Tell them you want to run, show your License and tell them you plan to park behind the guard shack. I find if I act like I know what I am doing and have done it before, they rarely give any grief.

Here is the trail
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/178482598/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter