Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Sorry your friend had a tough race... that really stinks.

I just love Epcot! (PS Why the title of your 1st post 'Ep-Cot'?) Disney Starbucks is the best kind and I'm glad they got "your" name right this time! Your medal picture is perfection! I loved getting to see some the flower and garden displays!T hat pizza looks delish!! Have you been to Blaze in Disney Springs? We tried it for the 1st time this trip and loved it!

Okay, not to seem like a crazy stalker or anything but noticed earlier when showing someone my pics from the half that there was a girl wearing InkBurn in them in a few I took while running down Main Street of the castle and I went, hmmmm that might be @Ariel484 (since I follow you on insta and know you are an inkburn girl... okay this sounds like stalker territory, but I promise I am not!!!) but wasn't sure. Now that you have posted a pic of your half outfit I can say for certain it was you! I started in F as well so it makes sense. So, if you wanted a couple pictures of you running down Main Street USA from the back, here you go! :rotfl2:

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 67
Sorry your friend had a tough race... that really stinks.
I know! :(
I just love Epcot! (PS Why the title of your 1st post 'Ep-Cot'?)
It's from this video, about 9:20 in! The way he says "EPCOT" :)
Disney Starbucks is the best kind and I'm glad they got "your" name right this time! Your medal picture is perfection! I loved getting to see some the flower and garden displays!T hat pizza looks delish!! Have you been to Blaze in Disney Springs? We tried it for the 1st time this trip and loved it!
I have no been to Blaze, gotta put it on the list for next time! I have heard that it's awesome!!
Okay, not to seem like a crazy stalker or anything but noticed earlier when showing someone my pics from the half that there was a girl wearing InkBurn in them in a few I took while running down Main Street of the castle and I went, hmmmm that might be @Ariel484 (since I follow you on insta and know you are an inkburn girl... okay this sounds like stalker territory, but I promise I am not!!!) but wasn't sure. Now that you have posted a pic of your half outfit I can say for certain it was you! I started in F as well so it makes sense. So, if you wanted a couple pictures of you running down Main Street USA from the back, here you go! :rotfl2:
Hey that's me!! Yay! :yay: Glad it's actually a picture where I am running. So, spoiler alert - I make it to the MK for the half! :rotfl2:

Oh man that sucks your friend had a bad start. A bad start can really make the whole race bad.

Looks like you guys had a great rest of the day though! Via Napoli is always good!

Oh man, I totally didn't think to spoiler alert that! Sorry!!! Just totally stepped all over your TR. Crud... ummm so everyone, she may or may not be in those pictures, tune in for the Princess Half Marathon update to find out! :confused3

ps- I know what you mean about running in a pic, there is vault of ones that I am not or look like death and no one will ever see them.

So sorry to hear that K had a not great experience. People are so not nice sometimes. :( Wonderful day at Epcot though. Since eating at Via Napoli for the first time in January, I'm definitely a convert. It's going to be a don't miss from here on!

And, I love your matching skills. That's the beauty of InB. :D

Oh man that sucks your friend had a bad start. A bad start can really make the whole race bad.
I know! I think it was tough for her to recover from that. I did put her bib number in for her race pics under my account and she is smiling in some of them, though!!
Looks like you guys had a great rest of the day though! Via Napoli is always good!
Yes it is, I haven't had a bad meal there yet!
Oh man, I totally didn't think to spoiler alert that! Sorry!!! Just totally stepped all over your TR. Crud... ummm so everyone, she may or may not be in those pictures, tune in for the Princess Half Marathon update to find out! :confused3
:rotfl2: No worries! I posted medal pics on my Instagram and on my training thread here so it's no great mystery! :)
ps- I know what you mean about running in a pic, there is vault of ones that I am not or look like death and no one will ever see them.
Seriously though. Some should never be seen! :eek:
So sorry to hear that K had a not great experience. People are so not nice sometimes. :( Wonderful day at Epcot though. Since eating at Via Napoli for the first time in January, I'm definitely a convert. It's going to be a don't miss from here on!
I know! :( Honestly, what she was describing fell in line with other things I have heard about Princess weekend and was why I was sort of nervous to do this weekend in the first place! ***!!
And, I love your matching skills. That's the beauty of InB. :D
I knew you would understand!! :banana:

Quote extravaganza coming up :P

What did you end up signing up for??

I think for future January weekends I'll be doing a 10K/marathon combo. That way I get Minnie and Mickey medals (assuming they don't change the themes of those races) AND a day off in between to sleep in/recover!

I signed up for Goofy because I am crazy! I really wanted to do Dopey, but couldn't justify the extra $ at the moment. I'm planning it for 2019 if we can get down to Disney though! A whole year to save up :) I say this now, but we'll see how I feel about the marathon after I've actually run one...

And someone threatened to punch someone else! What?? Then, due to the long corral wait, K decided to stop for an early porta potty with a long line and almost got swept - even though she was in the first wave of F! She finished, but I don't think she had very much fun due to the issues she had at the start. :(

Oh man, that is awful! I am so sorry that this race wasn't good for your friend. I just don't understand why people can't be nice and civilized, but maybe I expect too much.

insisted on waiting for front row center seats for Soarin', which was a good decision - the distortion is not at all noticeable there!

I think I will do this next time - I loved the film, but the distortion was pretty obvious from the side, which made it a little less awesome.

Love that we got to see some Flower & Garden goodness!

Yes!! Love F&G - can't wait to see some for myself :)

My favorite medal shot of the weekend with my favorite medal of the weekend! :)

Good one! I may have to steal that idea - I'm planning on taking my medal back for some good photos since we had to leave right after the half and our lunch!

Ice cream in France! Yum! This is the apple cinnamon crunch flavor, probably my favorite snack in all of WDW!

That sounds amazing - I keep saying I'm going to get ice cream there, but then get distracted by the pastries. But apple cinnamon ice cream sounds like just my kind of thing.

I got a pepperoni pizza. M got something with broccoli (she's the healthy eater of the group).

Yum! What size did you get? I'm always curious to know if a personal or small pizza would be splittable here - the prices seem high, but if my husband and I could split something (or split something with an appetizer), it might be a little more reasonable. It's on my list anyway though :)

Sorry about your friend not having a great race. I have to say I am intrigued that you ate pizza the night before a half? I guess I am pretty new to running...but for me I have to avoid cheese the night before lol...but I'm sure the half is no biggie for you so you can eat anything lol :)) Can't wait to hear about it.

Oh man a sigh literally just left my body in reaction to that medal shot with the belle/beast topiary behind it. I love that!!

So sorry K didn't enjoy her 10K. It's amazing what a difference common courtesy and the golden rule can make (or break if people don't follow them!).

Noting your tip at Karamelle Kuche. That's a place I've never tried-- but I love desserts, so I really should!

Belle, your medal pics are a-m-A-z-I-n-g!! Love the InB skirt and your matching skills are on point! So not only do I really need a do over but I missed my reservations at VN! Waaaah! Caprese always, carciofi and tiramisu to go! Yum!!

There really is such a difference in race experience from the back corrals and the front corrals. Sorry K got caught in the middle of that!

Glad you had a great race and were able to get some great photos with the two people that mattered to you!

Your pizza looks great! We always do our Italian 2 days before!

M and K returned soon after I was out of the shower, and I was bummed to hear that K didn't have a very good race! :( Apparently people in her corral were very pushy trying to get up to the front at the last minute (when she’d been there waiting for an hour) because they were planning on walking the race and did not want to get swept. Which...if you want to be up front with your friends, fine, but maybe get there earlier! And someone threatened to punch someone else! What?? Then, due to the long corral wait, K decided to stop for an early porta potty with a long line and almost got swept - even though she was in the first wave of F! She finished, but I don't think she had very much fun due to the issues she had at the start. :(

Love that we got to see some Flower & Garden goodness!
33015524782_818972a6b9_z.jpg

My favorite medal shot of the weekend with my favorite medal of the weekend! :)

32356660583_bf3f16d597_z.jpg

Ice cream in France! Yum! This is the apple cinnamon crunch flavor, probably my favorite snack in all of WDW!

32356660303_9d3255557a_z.jpg

I am bummed that your friend did not have a good race experience! :(

I love your medal photos. I really like the lighting and colors of the flower one. I would never think to take a photo of the medal with a topiary in the background. That's really cool, especially matching Belle and Beast to the race weekend theme.

There is a little hole in the wall ice cream place in upstate New York that has a maple walnut (maple pecan?) ice cream. It is AMAZING.

PIZZA YAAASSSSS
I got a pepperoni pizza. M got something with broccoli (she's the healthy eater of the group).
32326710684_65af90c0ac_z.jpg

See? If I'd left without riding SSE, I wouldn't know that I will be 100% OK! :wizard:

K & M had originally planned on staying to see Illuminations, but decided to come back with me instead since K had to pack up and get ready to leave the next morning. WAHH!! We left Epcot at about 8:20 and I was in bed much later than I'd hoped to be - after 10. Arg!

I LOVE Via Napoli also! It's hard (impossible, really) to find great pizza where I live, so I try to make a Via Napoli ADR every WDW trip I take. I also try to go to Naples every Disneyland trip.

I'm a huge Illuminations fan, but I hear you on leaving before the show. You've been going going going on this trip and your Fitbit stats reflect that!

Quote extravaganza coming up :P

I signed up for Goofy because I am crazy! I really wanted to do Dopey, but couldn't justify the extra $ at the moment. I'm planning it for 2019 if we can get down to Disney though! A whole year to save up :) I say this now, but we'll see how I feel about the marathon after I've actually run one...
Hey, at least your first marathon will be in Disney! Good decision. ::yes::
Oh man, that is awful! I am so sorry that this race wasn't good for your friend. I just don't understand why people can't be nice and civilized, but maybe I expect too much.
Neither do I. I feel like...I am SO happy to be at Disney races that it's hard for me to be anything BUT happy. There have been times where I wasn't (because of lack of entertainment or feeling sore/tired) but I'd sort of realize that and snap out of my funk. And not try to mess things up for others!!
I think I will do this next time - I loved the film, but the distortion was pretty obvious from the side, which made it a little less awesome.
It was significantly better. This was the 3rd or 4th time on that ride for me and the first time in the center, and it made a big difference!
Yes!! Love F&G - can't wait to see some for myself :)
It's so pretty!!!
Good one! I may have to steal that idea - I'm planning on taking my medal back for some good photos since we had to leave right after the half and our lunch!
Steal away!
That sounds amazing - I keep saying I'm going to get ice cream there, but then get distracted by the pastries. But apple cinnamon ice cream sounds like just my kind of thing.
It's so good! They also have the macaroon ice cream sandwiches that are pretty awesome!
Yum! What size did you get? I'm always curious to know if a personal or small pizza would be splittable here - the prices seem high, but if my husband and I could split something (or split something with an appetizer), it might be a little more reasonable. It's on my list anyway though :)
The personal size. I was not sharing! :rotfl2:
Your medal phtoos are always so amazing!!!
Thanks!! :yay:
Sorry about your friend not having a great race. I have to say I am intrigued that you ate pizza the night before a half? I guess I am pretty new to running...but for me I have to avoid cheese the night before lol...but I'm sure the half is no biggie for you so you can eat anything lol :)) Can't wait to hear about it.
Yeah, that definitely does not work for other people! I think VN is okay for me because they don't use a TON of cheese on their pizzas and the crust is thinner. The reason I initially picked it is because I'd eaten there before and enjoyed it/not gotten sick after, and it's just become my pre-race dinner over the years. :) That's something you will figure out as you run more and get into longer runs, what kind of food the night before works for you and what doesn't. It's part of training!
Oh man a sigh literally just left my body in reaction to that medal shot with the belle/beast topiary behind it. I love that!!
:rotfl2:There was a line of people waiting for a photo-op with that topiary, not sure how I managed to sneak a picture with no one in it!
So sorry K didn't enjoy her 10K. It's amazing what a difference common courtesy and the golden rule can make (or break if people don't follow them!).
I completely agree! I didn't experience it much this weekend, but I do think some people quite literally think they are princesses are are entitled to some things during Princess weekend...:sad2:
Noting your tip at Karamelle Kuche. That's a place I've never tried-- but I love desserts, so I really should!
Yes! I hear the cupcakes aren't that good there, but that cookie M got was good!
Belle, your medal pics are a-m-A-z-I-n-g!! Love the InB skirt and your matching skills are on point! So not only do I really need a do over but I missed my reservations at VN! Waaaah! Caprese always, carciofi and tiramisu to go! Yum!!
I have many names! :rotfl2: And thank you for appreciating my matching skills!

Seriously, I know the need for a do-over (since this was my do-over after missing 2016's race weekend). ::yes:: You need one!
There really is such a difference in race experience from the back corrals and the front corrals. Sorry K got caught in the middle of that!
Yeah, I wasn't going to say it, buuuut...I do think that's a big part of why her 10K was different from mine. She also said that they cut the line for Princess Minnie by the time she got there and was bummed about that.
Glad you had a great race and were able to get some great photos with the two people that mattered to you!
Me too! :yay:
Your pizza looks great! We always do our Italian 2 days before!
VN is always a must-do...so good!!
I am bummed that your friend did not have a good race experience! :(
Me too! Thankfully we did have a great time the rest of the trip!
I love your medal photos. I really like the lighting and colors of the flower one. I would never think to take a photo of the medal with a topiary in the background. That's really cool, especially matching Belle and Beast to the race weekend theme.
It was meant to be - glad I decided to go to France for ice cream because otherwise I may not have seen that topiary!
There is a little hole in the wall ice cream place in upstate New York that has a maple walnut (maple pecan?) ice cream. It is AMAZING.
That sounds so awesome! I just had some oreo cake batter custard last night, but maple...:scratchin
I LOVE Via Napoli also! It's hard (impossible, really) to find great pizza where I live, so I try to make a Via Napoli ADR every WDW trip I take. I also try to go to Naples every Disneyland trip.
VN is my favorite pizza on earth. It's the best!
I'm a huge Illuminations fan, but I hear you on leaving before the show. You've been going going going on this trip and your Fitbit stats reflect that!
Yeah, it was time for sleep, for sure!! :faint:

Day 5: Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 2017 Princess Half Marathon! Part 1

Time to become a pretty princess!

31714213164_baaa774378_z.jpg

A 3AM wake-up AGAIN? :faint: UGH!

K got up again with me today...but it was to leave! She had a 7AM flight, and thus a 4AM DME bus, to catch. Wahhh!

We said good-bye and I headed to the bus. I think I got on at about 3:45, and today we were stuck in traffic! I wasn't super worried because we were still moving and it was early, but the drive did take longer today and apparently it was a big problem for others. The race start was even delayed by a few minutes due to so many late arrivals, which I don't think has ever happened at any of the runDisney races I have participated in...or maybe it did happen once? Eh, can't remember. Anyway, I later heard that a bus broke down...not sure if that is what caused the back-up or what, but that's why you don’t wait to get on the last bus, folks!

I was walking through the staging area by 4:30 today...like the previous 2 mornings, I just kept on walking. The start for the longer races is in a different location than the shorter races and requires about a 20-minute walk to get to! During the walk, I ate a bagel and peanut butter I'd brought from home.

33044496211_b728da5856_z.jpg

Once I was closer to the corrals, I made a porta-potty stop and then headed toward Corral F. After starting in Corral I for the marathon in January, it was bizarre - and pretty super - to be up so much further today! The corral set-ups for the Princess and longer January races are exactly the same, so the difference was pretty striking to me.

There was another small bank of porta potties outside of my corral and I stopped again...because why not. I was starting to get a little nervous by now...I'd made it through the 5K and 10K, but this would be the real test of the weekend for me. I was undertrained and had been walking WAY too much over the past few days. The only things I had going for me were banked fitness from the marathon in January (which seemed like forever ago, even though it had only been, like, 6 weeks), the cardio I'd been doing over the past couple of weeks, the knowledge that I have done this distance before a few times, and the fact that I know this course super well (this would be my 4th time running it after my second Princess in 2011 and running it as part of the WDW Half Marathon twice).

DISmeet #2 of the weekend happened in the corral - it turned out @JulieODC was right next to me! We chatted for a bit and I heard the announcers mention something about mini waves for the corrals and a delay in the start due to traffic. Or sort of heard it, anyway...it was hard to hear the entirety of the announcement.

The National Anthem happened and Corrals A, B, C and (I think) D started.

33130553126_4bc032df6e_z.jpg

Unlike the 5K and 10K races, which have 6 larger corrals that start 6-10 minutes apart, the larger races have a TON more corrals. There were P corrals for this race, and they start closer together, more like 2-5 minutes apart. The earlier corrals are smaller and start closer together, and the later corrals are larger and start further apart. So once some of the front (smaller) corrals got going, the mini waves started (I can't remember exactly when - if it started with Corral D or E? But Corral E was definitely broken up). It didn't take long to lose track of who was going when! I don't remember them doing the mini wave thing in January during the marathon, so I'm not sure if this is a new thing they'll have going forward for the longer races or what. When it was our wave's turn to go (first or second wave of Corral F?), we didn't get fireworks. Julie and I both had our phones out, ready to get a picture of our corral's start, and gave one another a *look* - boo to no fireworks! :(

33130559676_861d49d25c_z.jpg

I LOVE your outfits. i just got my first InB top and skirt today! yehey! they have a sale, i am sure you already know. :) i hope to run the 10k next year. i am even thinking of doing a local half this summer to see if i can do the GSC next year. Hey, I have a whole year to train. looking forward to the half part.

2017 Princess Half Marathon! Part 2

3-2-1-GOOOOO!

Julie and I took off and said good-bye - she was looking super strong and I knew I was going to be taking this one soooo slowly! Even though the mini waves were a little confusing, I'm definitely a fan - the first few miles didn't feel crowded at all!

2 down!

32356803943_dc4125dae1_z.jpg

32789724450_65b103893f_z.jpg

We started on Epcot Center Drive and then made the turn onto World drive. I skipped photo-ops with Pirates and the Heroes, telling myself I'd stop for the Heroes on the way back down World Drive.

Almost to the Magic...with CAUTION!

32326821844_4b32ede34d_z.jpg

33044480971_e884a1967a_z.jpg

Mrs. Incredible was out meeting near the 5K mark...I have met her before so I passed her up. There was also a Villains photo-op, but they were both ones I had met before (Maleficent and Evil Queen) and the line was enormous, so I moved on from them, too.

TTC time! So much fun through here! Tons of spectators and a group of Japanese drummers that I remembered from 2011 when I last ran Princess (forgot to grab a picture of them, but they were awesome!).

33130597046_eb06615faf_z.jpg

This is when I really started to figure out/remember the slight changes to the course. It had seemed slightly different to me up to this point...particularly turning off of Epcot Center Drive onto World Drive...can't remember exactly was struck me as being different, but I do remember being slightly thrown off by something about that section. I remembered after the marathon that someone here on the DIS had said that the starting line was moved up, so I think that’s what it was. It really stuck out when I got to Mile Marker 4, which I remembered being at the TTC in the past - today it was closer to the Contemporary (I guess I hadn’t noticed the changes to the earlier mile markers since they were just along the highway and not at a memorable point like the TTC, if that makes sense). So much for my whole, "calm down, you know this course like the back of your hand!" pep talk!

33130598606_90f8139bc9_z.jpg

DISmeet #3 happened here - @tigger536 recognized me from behind! We said a quick hi and I actually saw her again in the MK waiting in a character line (because she gets alll of the pictures!). But now I was already slowing down, so she sped by!

Up next: The Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
I LOVE your outfits. i just got my first InB top and skirt today! yehey! they have a sale, i am sure you already know. :) i hope to run the 10k next year. i am even thinking of doing a local half this summer to see if i can do the GSC next year. Hey, I have a whole year to train. looking forward to the half part.
:wave: Thanks! Glad you got some awesome deals! I am boring, I just got a couple of hats (because...I already have pretty much everything else :rotfl2:).

You have plenty of time for any of the Princess races!! :yay:

Just caught your trip report - Thanks for being part of the bus crowd cheering on those of us in corral F for the 5k! It was so fun to see all the runners with their medals already, actually quite motivating to think that'll be us in a little while! The port-o-potties were way better by the corrals - I think the one I used when we got there hadn't even been used yet! It was a little miracle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter