Runners: I have a question!

littleangie

DIS Veteran
Okay so i ave started running so i can run the Princess Half Marathon in 2014. I am "training" using the Jeff Galloway method of run, walk, run. I normally use my phone a my indicator as to when to run or walk but i want to get a watch that will be that. Can anyone recommend a watch.

Thanks in advance.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 which includes a GPS to track your runs. Also monitors heart rate, pace, distance, lap time, etc. There are several Forerunner models available. I bought one of the larger models which is especially important if you want to monitor several factors simultaneously. Comes with software which allows you to archive past runs and track your improvement. Good luck with the race. I also use the Galloway method; it has served me well.

I bought the galloway bracelet. I love it! It is a clip so it can be worn on the waistband or on the wrist strap. I use the wrist (an extra $3) so I can see how much longer I have during the walks so I make sure I stow my cell or water bottle before the next run. I use endmondo (iphone app) to track my distance.

Garmin has recently releasded the Garmin 10.

It is a smaller unit than the 205 (it's predecessor), and comes in more color choices as well. It also has a smaller price tag than the 305.

If you do not plan on training or racing with heart rate and just want distance and pace, this is the watch for you (if you want to buy something new).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=107143

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-GMFR10S.html

Now, if you don't mind buying used (which every Garmin I have ever bought has always been used), eBay can offer some good deasl on used and refurbished 305 and 310 models.

The biggest difference between the 10 and the 305 is heart rate and personal customization (like racing against a virtual partner, calories burned, etc.). The 310 is built more for triathletes so you can swim in it and has a longer battery (18 hours) for Ironman compeition.

Also, keep an eye out because many online stores (best buy, sams, target, running warehouse, road runner sports, etc) will be doing holiday and/or black friday sales. YOu can go to each and sign up for the email alerts to see if any of them are offering any discounts on garmin products.

Garmin has recently releasded the Garmin 10.

It is a smaller unit than the 205 (it's predecessor), and comes in more color choices as well. It also has a smaller price tag than the 305.

If you do not plan on training or racing with heart rate and just want distance and pace, this is the watch for you (if you want to buy something new).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=107143

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-GMFR10S.html

Now, if you don't mind buying used (which every Garmin I have ever bought has always been used), eBay can offer some good deasl on used and refurbished 305 and 310 models.

The biggest difference between the 10 and the 305 is heart rate and personal customization (like racing against a virtual partner, calories burned, etc.). The 310 is built more for triathletes so you can swim in it and has a longer battery (18 hours) for Ironman compeition.

Another thing you might like about the 10 is that I am pretty sure you can program your intervals into the watch, so it will beep when you need to walk and then beep again when you need to start running again. You just put in your walk/run times and go.

For just starting out, I think the FR 10 is the way to go. The FR305 has lots of features you may not end up using.

The Garmin Forerunner 10 does not beep at intervals. I found that out after I bought one.

ghoulishgirl said:
The Garmin Forerunner 10 does not beep at intervals. I found that out after I bought one.

Did you turn off the tones in the menu? If so, turn them back on and try again. It will beep each time you hit a button though.

Ariel484 said:
Did you turn off the tones in the menu? If so, turn them back on and try again. It will beep each time you hit a button though.

I've borrowed my husband's 10 and it does beep for intervals. My training partner has one too and it certainly beeps.

There are so many on the market, so it is hard to say. I bought mine at Target, and it only cost me about $30. My advice would be to find one that you are able to test out in the store, and that isn't too complicated.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 and I love it. You can set the run walk intervals easily and it does beep at each interval change. The GPS has been very accurate for me, even in a tree lined area.

I was just coming to post about watch recommendations! So glad I saw this post!

I just tried turning the tones on again and my Forerunner 10 will not beep at intervals. It says on the website it will beep at miles, but makes no mention of run/walk intervals. My Forerunner 10 never makes a sound.

I hope I don't have to return it, I bought it a few months ago and I'm sure I put the paperwork somewhere safe, but I don't know where that would be right now!

ghoulishgirl said:
I just tried turning the tones on again and my Forerunner 10 will not beep at intervals. It says on the website it will beep at miles, but makes no mention of run/walk intervals. My Forerunner 10 never makes a sound.

I hope I don't have to return it, I bought it a few months ago and I'm sure I put the paperwork somewhere safe, but I don't know where that would be right now!

That's so odd. As I said I've borrowed my husband's and it does these three beeps for the intervals (different from the one beep I get at each mile). My friend's does the same thing as I just let her do the intervals when I'm running with her. She has hers set to do the intervals continuously while my husband has his to not count if we're paused. But they both do the three beeps to tell you to walk or run.

Very weird. Now that you have the tones on does it beep whenever you press any of the buttons? From this forum it sounds like Alert tones are different from Key tones (see post #3): https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?31236-Beep-and-backlight

A couple of years ago I sent my Forerunner 305 to Garmin (the screen got all pixelated, but it worked fine otherwise) and they were pretty good with customer support...they sent me a refurbished watch within a week I think. So if you do need to send it back you'll be without it for a bit, but not long. If you call them they may try to help you out over the phone and possibly have you reset the watch (you can probably find how to do this in your manual or online if setting Alert tones doesn't work)...keep in mind that depending on whichever reset you do the data in your watch may get erased. Good luck!

Ii is completely mute, no sounds even when I push buttons. I have sent an email to customer service and we'll see what they have to say. I would love to get it resolved, as constantly checking it to see when it is time to walk is such a hassle!

I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 and I love it. It's a little bulky but it works great. I've programmed my run/walk intervals into the watch and it does a 5 second beep countdown letting me know when it's time to start running or walking again. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter