RunKeeper discrepancies?

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
So I was shooting for 6.5 miles yesterday and plotted my route online with RunKeeper. However, when I used the app on my iPhone while running, it wound up being .8 miles short of the online route.

Which do you think was accurate? I don't know enough about GPS and all that business to know......

Hi Denice -

I use RunKeeper a fair amount and I would trust the actual miles you logged while running over the course you plotted it. RunKeeper *tries* to follow all sidewalks, pathways and other public areas that you might run on, but they can't always follow everywhere you may put your foot down. :)

If you want to grow your street team, I am OregonGirl. Always happy to cheer fellow Disboards/RunKeeper peeps on!

- Carey

You can add me too. I love the motivation that comes from people watching my activity. Name is in my sig.

I'm using the free version of the App and don't see anything about street team. Is that only on the $ version?

I use the Garmin sync app on RunKeeper and Sunday I ran my first sub-ten minute mile (9:56) in a looooooong time and after it was imported to RunKeeper, it was a 10:13. :(

I tweeted RunKeeper and all they had to say was, 'we interpret GPS points differently, rather than just read Garmin stats. However, that pace difference is larger than usual.'

I'm inclined to believe my Garmin, not just because of the sub-ten, but because my times on it have always been consistent.

My Runkeeper GPS has been messed up since the last update. My usual route has been 3.5m for years and now Runkeeper thinks it's 4+ ;) Since I run the same route, i don't even really pay attention to it anymore.

That seems like an awful big difference. What I would do is download the run from your Iphone to your computer and see if you see any major problems with the path. I use my Garmin 305 and most of the time I'm off no more than a couple of tenth of a mile from what I'm expecting even over a half marathon distance. That being said, going in circles causes trouble with GPS's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter