Run Like It's Midnight (Comments Welcome)

6 weeks until Gulf Beach Half

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, +/- 10 sec)

8/8/16 - Mon - 3 miles @ 11:39 (EB)
8/9/16 - Tues - 1.5 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 mile @ 9:55 (strength) w/ RI of 0.5 mile @ WU + 1.5 mile CD
8/10/16 - Wed - rest
8/11/16 - Thurs - 1.5 mile @ WU + 4 mile @ 10:05 (tempo) + 1.5 mile @ CD **Blind
8/12/16 - Fri - 3 miles @ 12:28 (EA)
8/13/16 - Sat - 6 miles @ 11:16 (long run)
8/14/16 - Sun - rest

So how did it go?

Mon - 3/3 intervals within goal pace. Nice easy run, though my legs were a bit sore starting out. 11:32, 11:32, 11:40 Cadence 171 spm.

Tues - 2/2 within goal pace. Nice and cool this morning - only 61F! Good run - 9:52, 10:03 for the strength intervals. Cadence 181 spm for the strength intervals!

Thurs - 2/4 within goal pace. The weather has shifted dramatically since Tuesday - this morning was 78F with a T+D of 151 versus Tuesday's 61F and 106. This run was a huge struggle. My daughter has been running with me during my warm up a couple of times a week to prepare for an upcoming 5k. We stepped out of the house and the air was just so thick with humidity, it was awful. This was a BLIND run today. I realized when I got up the street that I had forgotten to cover my watch, but I was running a little late leaving, so I decided I just needed to not look at it. We'll see how that went. About halfway through the warm up my daughter asked me if I was going faster than Tuesday. I told her I had no idea since I couldn't look at my watch. I might be going faster or it might me the huge difference in the weather that was making it feel harder. We slowed down a little bit since she was struggling. The 1.5 mile warm up ended up being a 13:36 pace - more than a minute per mile slower than Tuesday's 12:29.

On to the tempo run. The first mile wasn't too bad as it's relatively flat. I was working hard and trying to keep my feet moving quickly. Mile 2 includes the hill, which I really wasn't looking forward to in this weather. I kept working hard, but it felt like I was going sooo slooow and not keeping my feet moving as quickly. The first half of mile 3 is pretty flat, then downhill, so I got a bit of relief. Back to a steady effort on the flat, but I realized about halfway down the hill that I was basically coasting and not working at tempo effort - oops! Back to work. The end of this mile has an annoying blip not even two tenths of a mile long, but it kills me every time. Only 1 mile to go, thank goodness. Mile 4 is a slow rise - it was tough, my legs were done. I was so looking forward to that 1.5 miles at cool down pace. Well, not really, but at least it would be easier. I survived, and the end result wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I did accidentally see my watch once. I was having a stern discussion with myself during the blip when my watch beeped and I reflexively looked down at it - seeing the mile 3 pace. Not good, no wait, is it? I was so worn out I wasn't certain what my pace was supposed to be. 10:01, 10:40, 10:14, 11:03 So miles 1 and 3 were within my desired interval and mile 4 was a minute slow. Considering the conditions today, I'm okay with that. While warm up was slow, cool down was about 20 seconds faster than it should have been. Cadence for the tempo miles: 179, 174, 175, 170 - so while it did drop some, it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was during the run.

Fri - 3/3 within goal pace. 12:21, 12:20, 12:22 Cadence 166

Sat - 6/6 within goal pace. Really hot and humid again today, T+D=152, thankfully I got the run in before it got really hot later in the day (high of 97 with T+D=174!). 11:19, 11:09, 11:17, 11:09, 11:14, 11:09 Cadence 170

We hosted our annual cookout on Saturday with the worst heat and humidity of the summer. Most of the 50 people attending ended up squeezing into the house to take advantage of the A/C, though the kids enjoyed playing in the 3 kiddie pools we picked up that morning. So I ended up on my feet from the time I got up until 10:30pm and my legs were just so tired and sore by then. I was really glad that Sunday was a rest day for me.

Another good run week. I hit 16/18 intervals and did well despite the heat and humidity that arrived mid-week.

Great week!

The big takeaway from this week is you listened to your body during the tempo and thus it was a success. The other takeaway is that you were too fast during the cool down. While this isn't something we always want to do it can be a means to say that the tempo couldn't have been too tough otherwise your body wouldn't have wanted to tolerate the faster than scheduled cool down. Well done!

Oh and a 174 T+D!!! :scared1:

Yeah, that day I was suffering from some intestinal distress during the cool down. It was trying to balance cool down pace versus making it home in time. :oops:

We picked the absolute worst day to host a cookout. It was brutal, and so not like typical conditions here. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

5 weeks until Gulf Beach Half

8/15/16 - Mon - 4 miles @ 11:39 (EB)
8/16/16 - Tues - 1 mile WU + 2 x 2 mile @ 9:55 (strength) w/ RI of 1 mile @ WU + 1 mile CD
8/17/16 - Wed - rest
8/18/16 - Thurs - 1.5 mile @ WU + 5 mile @ 10:05 (tempo) + 1.5 mile @ CD
8/19/16 - Fri - 4 miles @ 12:28 (EA)
8/20/16 - Sat - 11 miles @ 11:16 (long run)
8/21/16 - Sun - rest

So how did it go?

Mon - 3/4 intervals within goal pace. Good run with one interval just a second too fast. 11:30, 11:37, 11:28, 11:36 Cadence 170

Tues - 4/4 within goal pace. The beginning of the first strength interval was tough. My legs were a little stiff/sore and took a while to get loosened up even after the warm up. The second strength interval felt much better. 9:48, 10:03, 9:53, 9:52 Cadence of the strength miles - 182, 178, 181, 179

Thurs - 4/5 within goal pace. Good run with one mile a couple seconds slow. 10:05, 10:09, 10:06, 10:17, 10:06 Cadence over the tempo miles - 176

Fri - 4/4 within goal pace. Nice easy run. 12:21, 12:20, 12:21, 12:18 Cadence 166

Sat - 11/11 within goal pace. Great long run, felt good throughout. 11:13, 11:18, 11:13, 11:12, 11:18, 11:14, 11:12, 11:21, 11:18, 11:11, 11:10 Cadence 172

After my long run Saturday I drove an hour to help my sister move. My SIL, who has run half marathons, was surprised I was up for helping after such a long run, but I felt good. I was stiff after the drive, but a few minutes of walking around and stretching loosened me up. A 9+ mile run would have had me "done" for the day in the past. This time, yes, I was tired at the end of the run, but not completely spent. After a break to eat and shower I was more than capable of filling the rest of my day with activity. The training works!

Ten hours later we finished. It did make for a very long day and my legs were tired by the end of it. My step count was 29,696, which is a record for me. I appreciated my day of rest on Sunday!

A very good week of running - 26/28 intervals within desired pace and the ones that missed were only seconds off.

This week is not a good week. On Tuesday I started to get some discomfort in the bottom of my right foot during the first strength interval, and by the second strength interval it was starting to be painful. Unfortunately I had a long drive and walking to fill the rest of the day. A drive that was supposed to be 1.5 hours took 2.5 thanks to a detour off a closed highway due to an accident and construction traffic later on. My foot was stiff and sore once we finally arrived. By the time we were ready to head home I had to use an ice pack from the cooler on my foot before driving. I wish I could have canceled the trip, but it just wasn't possible.

Yesterday I rolled my foot on a spiky ball and frozen water bottle many times throughout the day. I also did stretching and foam rolling of my calves. The foot didn't feel too bad throughout the day, just some slight discomfort.

This morning my foot felt okay on waking, so I rolled it a bit on the spiky ball and set off for my run. The warm up felt okay with just a slight awareness of the right foot. Once I started the tempo portion the discomfort came back pretty quickly. I couldn't quite get to tempo pace and the foot didn't feel good. I backed off on the pace, but it just wasn't working so I slowed down and turned home.

Aaaaaahh! What now? I'm so upset. This training cycle has been going fabulously, and I'm just over 3 weeks out from my half.

This week is not a good week. On Tuesday I started to get some discomfort in the bottom of my right foot during the first strength interval, and by the second strength interval it was starting to be painful. Unfortunately I had a long drive and walking to fill the rest of the day. A drive that was supposed to be 1.5 hours took 2.5 thanks to a detour off a closed highway due to an accident and construction traffic later on. My foot was stiff and sore once we finally arrived. By the time we were ready to head home I had to use an ice pack from the cooler on my foot before driving. I wish I could have canceled the trip, but it just wasn't possible.

Yesterday I rolled my foot on a spiky ball and frozen water bottle many times throughout the day. I also did stretching and foam rolling of my calves. The foot didn't feel too bad throughout the day, just some slight discomfort.

This morning my foot felt okay on waking, so I rolled it a bit on the spiky ball and set off for my run. The warm up felt okay with just a slight awareness of the right foot. Once I started the tempo portion the discomfort came back pretty quickly. I couldn't quite get to tempo pace and the foot didn't feel good. I backed off on the pace, but it just wasn't working so I slowed down and turned home.

Aaaaaahh! What now? I'm so upset. This training cycle has been going fabulously, and I'm just over 3 weeks out from my half.

I'd recommend taking a few days off. For the next week any runs you do should switch from a SOS to an easy day. Let's see if a little rest and backing off can help heal this. You won't lose much of the fitness you've gained so don't worry about your goal race at this point.

Are your shoes brand new or super old?

As much as I hate to do it, I know taking some time off is the right answer.

The shoes I ran in Tuesday & today (Saucony Ride 8) have 76 miles on them. Saturday & Monday were my older shoes (Saucony Ride 7) with 258 miles. My last pair I retired at just over 400 miles.

As much as I hate to do it, I know taking some time off is the right answer.

The shoes I ran in Tuesday & today (Saucony Ride 8) have 76 miles on them. Saturday & Monday were my older shoes (Saucony Ride 7) with 258 miles. My last pair I retired at just over 400 miles.

Probably not the shoes then. Did you step weird when you got out of bed? I know I have to sit at the edge of the bed every morning for a minute or two prior to touching ground to allow my feet to settle (weird I know).

Take comfort in knowing that you'll lose almost no fitness in one week off. If you come back healthy after one week (or a few days), you'll still be able to crush your goal time!

So sorry to hear that your foot is bothering you. It does sound like some time off it the right thing to do, although I know that's hard to do especially when you are close to a race. Hope it gets to feeling better quickly.

So sorry to hear that your foot is bothering you. It does sound like some time off it the right thing to do, although I know that's hard to do especially when you are close to a race. Hope it gets to feeling better quickly.

Thanks! It is hard, but I didn't want to make things worse by continuing in pain. I think I'm going to try a short run tomorrow.

Probably not the shoes then. Did you step weird when you got out of bed? I know I have to sit at the edge of the bed every morning for a minute or two prior to touching ground to allow my feet to settle (weird I know).

Take comfort in knowing that you'll lose almost no fitness in one week off. If you come back healthy after one week (or a few days), you'll still be able to crush your goal time!

Nothing I can identify that was weird/different from usual. Believe me, I've tried to retrace every moment! I did manage to tweak my knee this week just by stepping into my pants though. :confused3 Fortunately that was nothing serious.

The past week has been up and down - Friday painful, but Saturday felt pretty good with lots of time off my feet & stretching so I thought I'd be able to run Monday. Sunday I was spectating while my husband and daughter ran a 5k and the walking and standing I did brought the pain right back - no run Monday. Most of Monday it actually felt okay, but by dinner time it was quite painful - decided to wait until at least Thursday before running. Tuesday I stayed off my feet as much as possible & today it has finally felt pretty good all day. I think I'm going to try a run tomorrow morning as long as it feels good when I get up.

So at least a whole week off and we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Looks like I never posted last week's recap after my foot issues...

4 weeks until Gulf Beach Half

8/22/16 - Mon - 4 miles @ 11:39 (EB)
8/23/16 - Tues - 1.5 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 mile @ 9:55 (strength) w/ RI of .5 mile @ WU + 1.5 mile CD
8/24/16 - Wed - rest
8/25/16 - Thurs - 1 mile @ WU + 5 mile @ 10:05 (tempo) + 1 mile @ CD
8/26/16 - Fri - 4 miles @ 12:28 (EA)
8/27/16 - Sat - 6 miles @ 11:16 (long run) **Blind
8/28/16 - Sun - rest

So how did it go?

Mon - 4/4 intervals within goal pace. Nice easy run. 11:39, 11:30, 11:31, 11:31

Tues - 2/2 within goal pace. It wasn't as difficult to get to strength pace this week. I started to get some discomfort in the bottom of my right foot during the first strength interval, didn't feel too bad during the rest interval, but during the second strength interval it was starting to be painful. 9:57, 9:52 Cadence of the strength intervals - 182, 183

Thurs - 0/5 within goal pace. Foot felt okay on waking so I decided to run. As I mentioned above, once I started the tempo portion the discomfort came back pretty quickly. I couldn't quite get to tempo pace and the foot didn't feel good. I backed off on the pace, but the foot was still not good so I slowed down and turned home. Total of 3 miles instead of 7.

Fri - Off for recovery

Sat - Off for recovery

A disappointing week - these were my first missed runs of the training cycle.

Yikes, PF sucks. I hope you don't have it. Does it hurt most at the heel? Like you're walking on a pebble? I think some people are talking about PF on the running thread. Besides stretching, rolling, etc - I find trying to "write" the ABCs with my big toe to be super helpful. Don't be disappointed about missing runs, it's more important to be healthy! :)

Yikes, PF sucks. I hope you don't have it. Does it hurt most at the heel? Like you're walking on a pebble? I think some people are talking about PF on the running thread. Besides stretching, rolling, etc - I find trying to "write" the ABCs with my big toe to be super helpful. Don't be disappointed about missing runs, it's more important to be healthy! :)

:wave2:

I'm battling some PF right now. :( I did get some good advice on the running thread though. Good luck with healing up!

:wave2:

I'm battling some PF right now. :( I did get some good advice on the running thread though. Good luck with healing up!

Thank you both. My foot is feeling much better, if not perfect yet. I do think it's probably PF.

dis- Thanks for the tip - I'm willing to do everything I can to take care of this!

Zelly - I'm sorry to hear you're in the same situation. I hope you start healing soon.

I got some inserts for my shoes (just from Target) that say they're for PF and they are amazing! I felt a huge reduction in the discomfort right away. I'm also using KT tape during my runs.

3 weeks until Gulf Beach Half

8/29/16 - Mon - 5 miles @ 11:39 (EB) - SKIP
8/30/16 - Tues - 1 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 mile @ 9:55 (strength) w/ RI of .5 mile @ WU + 1 mile CD - SKIP
8/31/16 - Wed - rest
9/1/16 - Thurs - 1 mile @ WU + 6 mile @ 10:05 (tempo) + 1 mile @ CD - CHANGE to 3 mile 12:28 (EA)
9/2/16 - Fri - 5 miles @ 12:28 (EA) - CHANGE to 1 mile 12:28 (EA) + 2 mile 11:39 (EB)
9/3/16 - Sat - 12 miles @ 11:16 (long run) - CHANGE to 10 mile long run on Sunday
9/4/16 - Sun - rest

So how did it go?

Mon - Off for recovery

Tues - Off for recovery

Thurs - 3/3 (for revised run) My foot felt pretty good Wednesday and this morning, so I decided to go for a trial run. I did 3 miles at my "Easy A" pace. I had some mild discomfort during the run, but no pain. The rest of the day my foot was a bit sore. 12:32, 12:28, 12:26

Fri - 3/3 (for revised run) We were leaving for Minnesota this morning, but I got a 3 mile run in before we left. I started out with a mile at EA, then two miles at EB. I wanted to try out the slightly faster pace to see how my foot felt before deciding on a weekend long run. It went well and I'm looking forward to a longer run. 12:19, 11:39, 11:32

Sat - Since we were spending the day at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival I put my long run off until Sunday thinking I'd spread out the time on my feet a bit.

Sun - 7/10 within goal pace. The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge was less than a mile from our hotel, so we headed out for a run before meeting up with our friends for the day. My husband ran the first 3 miles with me before heading back to the hotel. It was a nice place to run - a flat trail through wooded areas and meadow along the Minnesota River. There were some puddles and hard packed dirt rutted with bicycle tracks, but nothing too difficult to avoid, just some careful stepping at times. I was planning on running 9 miles, but found a little spur trail I took and managed to squeeze in 10.

The run felt good with no issues from my foot - it felt like a bit of stretching on the bottom of my foot with each step, but no pain. It was a pretty consistent run and I was pleased with how it went.
11:22, 11:22, 11:21, 11:11, 11:44, 11:23, 11:08, 11:00, 12:39, 11:18

Mile 5 was slow because I briefly stopped a few times to take pictures. I figured I wouldn't be in this area again and I enjoyed the scenery. I haven't mastered taking pictures while moving though. During mile 9 I left the refuge which had a steep slope with some areas of erosion and lots of loose gravel. I decided to walk up it - another injury now would not be worth saying I met my time goal for that interval.

So the week ended on a positive note! After the long run I feel a lot better about my upcoming half. With two short runs I was worried if my foot would be able to handle 13 miles, but this helped ease those fears. At least now I'm back to being confident that I will finish!

Catching up on your journal. It's fun to see someone else doing blind runs...kindred spirits. Sorry about the foot pain...I had to take almost month off earlier this year and now I'm feeling good. Mine were cause by wearing only one pair of shoes for over a year though (rookie mistake.)

Those pics are lovely...I wish I could run by that scenery when I'm out and about.

Catching up on your journal. It's fun to see someone else doing blind runs...kindred spirits. Sorry about the foot pain...I had to take almost month off earlier this year and now I'm feeling good. Mine were cause by wearing only one pair of shoes for over a year though (rookie mistake.)

Those pics are lovely...I wish I could run by that scenery when I'm out and about.

Thanks for checking in! I'm so far behind on the running thread and training journals... Life is just so busy and difficult right now. :confused3 If only they had wi-fi at the gymnastics studio I'd be able to keep up! The blind runs are certainly interesting - at least I'm over my panic of "what if it's not the right pace" and can just do my best with it now.

But, my foot is feeling better! Today even noticeably better than Tuesday, so that makes me happy.

My normal run area is not nearly so picturesque, so enjoyed it while I was there. :-)

Almost race day - aaaaaaaackkk!

Very late with this one...

2 weeks until Gulf Beach Half

9/5/16 - Mon - 4 miles @ 11:39 (EB) **BLIND
9/6/16 - Tues - 1 mile WU + 3 x 1 mile @ 9:55 (strength) w/ RI of .5 mile @ WU + 1 mile CD
9/7/16 - Wed - rest
9/8/16 - Thurs - 1 mile @ WU + 6 mile @ 10:05 (tempo) + 1 mile @ CD
9/9/16 - Fri - 4 miles @ 12:28 (EA)
9/10/16 - Sat - 6 miles @ 11:39 (EB)
9/11/16 - Sun - rest

So how did it go?

Mon - 0/4 intervals within goal pace. My foot is pretty good, so I'm back to my scheduled plan this week. Today was our travel day home, leaving Minnesota early to avoid the high winds/rain at our friends' final destination. That meant my run was after 6 hours in a 6-seater prop plane with one stop for refueling. I'm glad it was a short run! We finally made it home about 5:30pm and I got changed and headed out right away. I knew if I tried to put it off until after dinner it would never happen. This was a blind run at my Easy B pace. With a week off I wasn't sure I knew what that felt like anymore! The run felt good, maybe felt a little fast but not much. Turns out all intervals were too fast - oops. Maybe I just wanted to get to dinner. 10:46, 10:56, 10:43, 11:16

Tues - 3/3 within goal pace. My first "fast" run since taking time off, so I was a bit nervous for this one. No pain! and I was actually able to keep the pace where it should be. The first interval was straight into the wind which kind of sucked, but at least it felt a bit cooler. 9:58, 9:50, 9:57 Cadence for the strength intervals - 180, 179, 179

Thurs - 2/6 within goal pace. Ugh. Bad run. Not sure what the issue was with this run, but it was not good. I managed to hang on close to my desired pace for the first three miles, but after that I just could not get my legs to move! After my good run Tuesday this was discouraging with my half fast approaching. 10:13, 10:25, 10:08, 10:44, 10:38, 10:57

Fri - 4/4 within goal pace. Nothing exciting, just an easy run. 12:22, 12:18, 12:22, 12:27

Sat - 6/6 within goal pace. Nice and easy. 11:40, 11:34, 11:30, 11:35, 11:34, 11:32

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter