Rumors that Disney is in negotiations to sell Star Wars back to George Lucas!

200.gif

star-wars-leia-organa.gif
facepalm-han-solo.gif
obi-wan-kenobi-facepalm.gif

I briefly looked through this Youtuber's videos and he seems to have a very strong anti-Disney bias. I wouldn't trust anything he says at face value in terms of Disney selling the rights to Star Wars IMO.
Could be but you can't deny that Disney is in a world of hurt financially. Those facts are known and when a company is between a rock and a hard spot they scramble to stay alive. Iger has run this company into the ground and we are about to see the results of a train wreck that has been his tenure.

Let me guess. The guy in the video has "sources" who thinks Disney will sell Star Wars back to Lucas for less than they paid, that Kathleen Kennedy will be fired in Lucas' first act when he has it, that Dave Filoni will takeover everything, and Lucas will produce his own sequel trilogy based on the treatment Disney chose not to make? Oh and Luke will be awesome again and they won't have any icky female "Mary Sues" as protagonists?

I don't mean this as a slam to the OP but please don't link to rumor mill YouTubers who use hatred of Disney content to generate clicks. If an actual media outlet was running with this, it would've been out already.

Disney's problem with Star Wars is the same one with their live action content. They have got to find a way to move past the nostalgia and just generate new content that is great.

Last edited:
I about can't watch that guy so I'm mostly replying to the headline.

I'm thinking Disney is getting desperate for cash to pay off the last third of HULU. Come January 2024, Disney can force Comcast to sell, OR Comcast can force Disney to buy, and it's sounding like Comcast is planning to force the sale. Disney can't afford that at the moment.

I'm thinking Disney is getting desperate for cash to pay off the last third of HULU. Come January 2024, Disney can force Comcast to sell, OR Comcast can force Disney to buy, and it's sounding like Comcast is planning to force the sale. Disney can't afford that at the moment.
I think you'd see ESPN go way before any IP that has long term benefit to Disney like Star Wars.

Could be but you can't deny that Disney is in a world of hurt financially. Those facts are known and when a company is between a rock and a hard spot they scramble to stay alive. Iger has run this company into the ground and we are about to see the results of a train wreck that has been his tenure.
I just did a quick Google search to see if this "rumor" had any substance and one of the first results was the video you posted along with another video with a similar looking thumbnail. This is just clickbait - I wouldn't pay this any attention.

This is a "rumor" board so take it for what it is worth. The bill that comes due as shalom mentioned is larger than Disney can afford and will have to sell off assets to do this. This is an accumulation of bad decisions made over the past 10 years.

This Comcast issue could be the end of Disney. In my opinion, might not be a bad thing seeing how they can't run a lemonade stand at the moment.

I think you'd see ESPN go way before any IP that has long term benefit to Disney like Star Wars.
But have the Disney Star Wars movie or streaming projects brought in that much money? I'm thinking the biggest money-makers have been the additions to the parks, which seem pretty popular, but any deal they'd make would keep those with Disney.

But have the Disney Star Wars movie or streaming projects brought in that much money? I'm thinking the biggest money-makers have been the additions to the parks, which seem pretty popular, but any deal they'd make would keep those with Disney.
In 2018, it was reported that Disney already made back their 4 billion dollar investment. Disney+ wouldn't be a thing without the Mandalorian.

I about can't watch that guy so I'm mostly replying to the headline.

Disney has enough cash on the books today to pay for Hulu, no need to fire sale the company.

This is a "rumor" board so take it for what it is worth. The bill that comes due as shalom mentioned is larger than Disney can afford and will have to sell off assets to do this. This is an accumulation of bad decisions made over the past 10 years.

This Comcast issue could be the end of Disney. In my opinion, might not be a bad thing seeing how they can't run a lemonade stand at the moment.
Have you looked at the financials? They have $10B in cash today and cash flow will improve with the recent cuts.

"End of Disney" Hyperbole much? Hulu is one of only 2 streamers that makes bottom line profit, not the worst thing if they have to buy it for $9B.

Disney+ wouldn't be a thing without the Mandalorian.
Duh. I don't know where my brain was at. We like the Mandalorian, but for some reason I was thinking of the Marvel properties versus Andor. My impression is that Andor did well with the critics but not so well with the crowds. We liked it, though.

Disney has enough cash on the books today to pay for Hulu, no need to fire sale the company.
They will owe Comcast a guaranteed minimum $27.5 billion. According to the Internet, Disney's cash on hand is more in the range of nine billion.

Last edited:
Disney's current "cash holdings" are at 10.4 billion and the buyout will be around 9.2 billion from what I can find. There are reports that Disney's cash is far less than that.

For a company of Dinsey's size and operational expense, I don't think they want to drain cash. As the old saying goes Cash Is King.

Have you looked at the financials? They have $10B in cash today and cash flow will improve with the recent cuts.

"End of Disney" Hyperbole much? Hulu is one of only 2 streamers that makes bottom line profit, not the worst thing if they have to buy it for $9B.
Could a company like Apple buy Hulu off of Disney? I know money isn't an issue with Apple and they're really trying to push people to Apple+ with great original content.

They will owe Comcast a guaranteed minimum $27.5 billion. According to the Internet, Disney's cash on hand is more in the range of nine billion.
That is not correct, Dis will owe one third of the total value of $27.5B or about $9B. That changes your calculus, no?

Disney's current "cash holdings" are at 10.4 billion and the buyout will be around 9.2 billion from what I can find. There are reports that Disney's cash is far less than that.

For a company of Dinsey's size and operational expense, I don't think they want to drain cash. As the old saying goes Cash Is King.
So they are lying of the reports they filed with the SEC? Please give us some sources so we can report them to the Government!

True, they will not want to bring it to zero but they have the ability to issue bonds quickly and at decent rates (for these times). They will also have much improved positive cash flow with the recent cuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter