Rumored retheme of Tomorrowland?

mdmost

DIS Veteran
Mods, obviously if this doesn't belong here please move it. I thought about putting it on the board with rumors but since that's more for WDW and this pertains solely to Disneyland, I figured it could go here for now.

Seeing some chatter online that as part of a larger retheme to Tomorrowland, which badly needs it, that Space Mountain might be reimagined with a new facade and new interior. The prevailing thought is it will be rethemed to match the Star Command launch building in the new Lightyear movie. In the movie, Buzz launches from a place that looks a lot like a certain place in Tomorrowland. Tokyo Disneyland previously announced a new exterior renovation to Space Mountain though it looks more like Tron and I believe they're also getting a new Tron coaster.

spacemountain-hed.png

There's also some pictures on Twitter of the new Buzz real life character meet and greet with the same Star Command Mountain on it. You can see it in the video below when Buzz poses.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce9IS4yJaOI/

I'm not a fan of putting more IP in Tomorrowland because I think Tokyo Disneyland has the better idea of making Space Mountain look more futuristic versus just an IP addition. I do wish Tomorrowland was beefed up but I'm not sure how much more they could put in given the space limitations unless you started scaling down Autopia. I guess you could demolish Star Wars Launch Bay and absorb some of its land. Maybe get rid of Pizza Planet. I know they won't do it but I'm fine with Star Tours being folded into something new since there's now a land for Star Wars.

Tokyo Disneyland:

273tgku2h3tijgn24g231.jpg

I feel like we were so close to an announcement about a refresh of Tomorrowland before Covid. Now though, who knows. Although I do imagine it’ll happen one day.

But I’d say there is ZERO chance of Disneyland Space Mountain ever being rethemed to Star Command. Just not gonna happen.

I'm sure D23 will have a full announcement on changes to Tomorrowland. I don't know about zero chance of SM changing as there's been a lot of talk about it on YouTube, like David at Fresh Baked! Now, he talked about it more as perhaps an overlay but I could see based on how well the movie does that this is the fate for Space Mountain. They're certainly playing up the Star Command in the current Buzz promotion at the parks.

FVjqThLWAAAODR2

Last edited:
My feeling is that this movie is not doing that well. If Disney was going to shove an IP, it would not be this one.
That pictures also looks way more like Space Mountain in Paris than it does the one in California.

I also can't see Mr. Cheapek spending more money on unnecessary rethemes.

Unless Disney is willing to drastically rethink Galaxy's Edge (and by rethink, I mean admit that setting the entire land, not just a single ride, during a super specific moment of the sequel trilogy was a mistake), Star Tours needs to stay because it includes all of the trilogies and in theory it's something new and different each time.

I could see them adding overlay that is used every now and then. Hyperspace Mountain exists without completely retheming the ride, so maybe something like that, only Toy Story themed.

Call me old fashioned but I think a retheme back to the sorta original, now retro, style would be great. I hope that Lightyear does not invade Space Mountain. I know there are limited time overlays like Ghost Galaxy but Space Mountain is a classic and should be left alone.

Honestly, I'd be fine if the land was left the way it is, just cleaned up and fixed up. Bring back the People Mover!

I would be okay with a Tomorrowland revamp, but personally if Space Mountain was rethemeved, I would really miss the music that played during the ride. I'm not a local to Disneyland and I've only been twice in my entire life, but this track really makes Space Mountain come alive in my opinion. I get that a lot of locals like Hyperspace Mountain more, but the music plus the reduced roughness is why I prefer Disneyland's Space Mountain. I kind of hope Lightyear doesn't take over Space Mountain, but we'll see what happens.

Call me old fashioned but I think a retheme back to the sorta original, now retro, style would be great. I hope that Lightyear does not invade Space Mountain. I know there are limited time overlays like Ghost Galaxy but Space Mountain is a classic and should be left alone.

Honestly, I'd be fine if the land was left the way it is, just cleaned up and fixed up. Bring back the People Mover!

After riding the People Mover at MK, I want it back at Disneyland SO BAD.

Doing some revamping of Tomorrowland would be good, but re-imagining Space Mountain like that would be a heinous mistake.

This x1000

So Lightyear Mountain may not be in the works but possibly a return of the PeopleMover is?

https://***********.com/2022/07/rum...-disneyland-as-part-of-tomorrowland-overhaul/

So Lightyear Mountain may not be in the works but possibly a return of the PeopleMover is?

https://***********.com/2022/07/rum...-disneyland-as-part-of-tomorrowland-overhaul/
I'll believe it if/when Disney announces something. By the way, the way the return of the PeopleMover is framed in the article isn't exactly promising - a shorter "budget" version? If that's the case, I'd rather they just tear it down altogether and make room for something else some day when they decide to spend the money.

I'm sure there's some limitations based on the age of the existing support columns. I would venture a guess that the idea behind the revamp is the whole area goes down for refurbishment like ToonTown has. Or maybe it goes in stages. I guess it depends on what rides they may or may not be keeping. I could easily see Star Tours maybe being replaced now that Smuggler's Run exists. I think they'd also have to shut down the Monorail during the refurbishment given how close the tracks are. Maybe not. Should be interesting. I think it would be great to have even a smaller PeopleMover as it is so enjoyable at WDW.

I'm sure there's some limitations based on the age of the existing support columns. I would venture a guess that the idea behind the revamp is the whole area goes down for refurbishment like ToonTown has. Or maybe it goes in stages. I guess it depends on what rides they may or may not be keeping. I could easily see Star Tours maybe being replaced now that Smuggler's Run exists. I think they'd also have to shut down the Monorail during the refurbishment given how close the tracks are. Maybe not. Should be interesting. I think it would be great to have even a smaller PeopleMover as it is so enjoyable at WDW.
I hope for a total Tomorrowland refresh. I doubt they’d close the entire land at once though. That would potentially mean no Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz, Astro Orbiter, Autopia, Subs, and no monorail stop. That would be too much closed at once.

I’d guess they’d do it like Epcot and wall off everything to keep attractions open while they work.

Whatever they do (if they are going to do anything at all) I hope they start soon and put a major investment and effort behind it.

I hope for a total Tomorrowland refresh. I doubt they’d close the entire land at once though. That would potentially mean no Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz, Astro Orbiter, Autopia, Subs, and no monorail stop. That would be too much closed at once.

I’d guess they’d do it like Epcot and wall off everything to keep attractions open while they work.

Whatever they do (if they are going to do anything at all) I hope they start soon and put a major investment and effort behind it.
I doubt they do anything to the subs given they just fully refurbished them. Plus, you can access them from the walkway that goes behind the Matterhorn. Same with Autopia. I think we'll see some walls like Epcot as things go up and down. Or they'll shutdown the area after Astro Orbiter over to Launch Bay. I think the main things we'll see are a new face on Space Mountain like Tokyo Disneyland, something in place of Launch Bay, a refresh of Buzz, and a new ride in place of Star Tours. I wish they would add on to Star Wars Land with a Star Tours replacement or make Smuggler's Run have a Star Tours component but that's just my pie in the sky hopes.

Unless Disney is willing to drastically rethink Galaxy's Edge (and by rethink, I mean admit that setting the entire land, not just a single ride, during a super specific moment of the sequel trilogy was a mistake), Star Tours needs to stay because it includes all of the trilogies and in theory it's something new and different each time.

I could see them adding overlay that is used every now and then. Hyperspace Mountain exists without completely retheming the ride, so maybe something like that, only Toy Story themed.

Amen. We don’t even go to galaxy’s edge most visits….. it just doesn’t have much meaning for me and my husband who grew up on the OT. But we ride star tours every trip…. Yesterday we got the one with Vader, Leia, the Wookiees and they landed on Naboo. Such a nice mix of all the Star Wars I love!

I hope they leave space mountain alone except for temporary overlays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter