Rumor - Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom game closing?

This is greatly upsetting. There is no way to know for sure, but it seems like this is a Disney cost cutting move. Rather than refurbish this, they seem to be getting rid of it. For me, it is one of what I call pixie dust experiences at WDW. It may be the tipping point for me. Right now, all you can do at WDW is stand in line.

It doesn't make sense to me for this to be a cost-cutting move. The stations have been installed and cost miniscule amounts to operate (I'll bet they cost more to maintain and repair than they do to operate). Disney is actually signing up for a large outlay to remove these stations entirely. In addition, these help relieve a little crowding from the rest of the park -- more places to go and things to do for people, the greater people can spread out and the more capacity the park can handle.

What would make sense to me is for them to use this lower capacity downtime to reconfigure the game to allow for participation with a mobile device. I really hope that's their plan, but I'm not optimistic, since they could pretty easily keep the current one going while the new one is in development.

We will REALLY miss this. It was a lot of fun. Some of the scenes they showed were quite entertaining. I also really miss the Pirate map adventure and Phineas/Ferb also. I sure hope they'll be back!
On our Thanksgiving trip, DH and DS played a little. and we completed our card set! they were so excited to get the final card! But it had been buggy lately for sure. Portals not responding, etc.
Bummer.....

SOMK has been on "life support" for several years. It was my understanding that the company that provided the systems (all specialized, custom, proprietary stuff) is long out of business and whatever "spare" parts that may have existed have likely all been used up.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter