CONFIRMED Rumor: Disney World no longer transferring refrigerated goods between resorts

I respect your opinion but disagree for our Disney travel group. We stayed four days at GF and had a food delivery day one. Food was in an insulated bag. Split stayed to Riveria. The bell service was very gracious at GF and took our refrigerated food in same bag in which it was delievered along with our luggage and forwarded to the Riveria bell service. Worked great and we were very appreciative. (We have done on several split stays between CR and GF several times in the past too.) However, knowing this service is cancelled we will start taking our wine cruiser which is an insulated piece of luggage. For us problem solved other than wrangling another piece of luggage. (Same as dealing with no Magic Express, no fast passes, no menues, insufficient employees and limited hours, no tours, limited room service etc etc.) Upside: No more bag searches and fingerprints to get into parks meaning no waiting. Seems like the metal detectors are doing a good job.

I agree - I used the luggage transfer service for refrigerated goods and will definitely miss it. They will take hard sided coolers, so I think there are solutions such as the one you mentioned. You can purchase a cheap disposable cooler from Target for $7.99 too that they should take I think (might require some bungie cords or tape to keep the lid on).

BTW- As an aside - the new security scanners where they don't search your bags isn't a metal detector, they use millimeter wave technology (high-frequency radio waves) and artificial intelligence to detect weapons both metal and non-metal. Totally doesn't matter - but in case you were interested :) The scanners are made by Evolv Technology and the scanner is called "Evolv Express". My company uses the same scanners at our conferences (at least before when they were in person).

All they have to do is have you acknowledge that they are not responsible for perishables, and then let the guest decide if they would like them to still transfer them. That would keep them from eliminating yet ANOTHER perk….but the current Disney way is to eliminate and frame it “in the interest of our guests”:headache:

All they have to do is have you acknowledge that they are not responsible for perishables, and then let the guest decide if they would like them to still transfer them. That would keep them from eliminating yet ANOTHER perk….but the current Disney way is to eliminate and frame it “in the interest of our guests”:headache:
Reports are that they will transfer perishables already packed by the guest in hardsided coolers with ice or cold packs, in other words they'll take your items if you assume the responsibility for those items remaining at proper temperature while in transit. I just wish they'd issue a policy so that everyone would know what the policy is, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree - I used the luggage transfer service for refrigerated goods and will definitely miss it. They will take hard sided coolers, so I think there are solutions such as the one you mentioned. You can purchase a cheap disposable cooler from Target for $7.99 too that they should take I think (might require some bungie cords or tape to keep the lid on).

BTW- As an aside - the new security scanners where they don't search your bags isn't a metal detector, they use millimeter wave technology (high-frequency radio waves) and artificial intelligence to detect weapons both metal and non-metal. Totally doesn't matter - but in case you were interested :) The scanners are made by Evolv Technology and the scanner is called "Evolv Express". My company uses the same scanners at our conferences (at least before when they were in person).
Thanks for the security education. DH will be very interested in what you explain as he is an engineer. He likes that sort of thing. He did not travel with us in July but we will be onsite in about two months for the 50 year celebration. (We look forward to Disney getting CLEAR like the airports and some sports venues.)

FYI Some medical devices haven't been tested for use through Evolv scanners.
One example is the Dexcom CGM
When wearing your G6, ask for hand-wanding or a full-body pat down and visual inspection instead of going through the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners (also called a milimeter wave scanner).

I called evolv. Their device is a millimeter wave scanner. They have not tested it with the Dexcom and suggest not going through the scanner if you're using that device. The evolv device is low power it might be OK but the advice is don't go through.

A few years ago, when you spoke to real technical support, and not people reading from a script, I was told one issue is the effects might be cumulative. Go through once might be OK. Go through many times maybe not. Some scanners have multiple settings. Might be OK at normal setting but not if set at high sensitivity.

FYI Some medical devices haven't been tested for use through Evolv scanners.
One example is the Dexcom CGM
When wearing your G6, ask for hand-wanding or a full-body pat down and visual inspection instead of going through the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners (also called a milimeter wave scanner).

I called evolv. Their device is a millimeter wave scanner. They have not tested it with the Dexcom and suggest not going through the scanner if you're using that device. The evolv device is low power it might be OK but the advice is don't go through.

A few years ago, when you spoke to real technical support, and not people reading from a script, I was told one issue is the effects might be cumulative. Go through once might be OK. Go through many times maybe not. Some scanners have multiple settings. Might be OK at normal setting but not if set at high sensitivity.

Good to know, better safe than sorry!

Reports are that they will transfer perishables already packed by the guest in hardsided coolers with ice or cold packs, in other words they'll take your items if you assume the responsibility for those items remaining at proper temperature while in transit. I just wish they'd issue a policy so that everyone would know what the policy is, but I'm not holding my breath.
Good news!

I guess we are traveling with a cooler now! Haha!

It would help their case if Disney mentioned why the change. Otherwise folks will lump it with the loss of DME.

If it’s liability, it’s unfortunate that people got upset with the complementary service between hotels.

I guess we are traveling with a cooler now! Haha!

It would help their case if Disney mentioned why the change. Otherwise folks will lump it with the loss of DME.

If it’s liability, it’s unfortunate that people got upset with the complementary service between hotels.

Its hearsay - but someone posted on the DVC Fan FB group that they were told by a CM it was due to an issue that occurred with someone's medication. My guess is that the guest complained about their medicine being spoiled and raised the issue up to management and that this issue had happened often enough to make Disney decide to cancel it. Definitely unfortunate and it will make split stays a bit more challenging. But imho this probably ranks as one of the least impactful freebies being removed. I wish it were still allowed - but I'm sure there are worse changes coming that I'll complain more about :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter