RUMOR: New DVC Property Coming to Contemporary Convention Center Site

aoconnor

WDW Nut
According to this, Disney filed plans last Friday to expand the Yacht Club Convention Center in preparation for the closure of the Contemporary Convention Center late next year. Rumor is it's to make way for a new DVC property. As seen in the picture below, a new tower could be constructed at the south end of the convention center site without impeding the views of the main A-Frame building:

contemporary_site_plan.png

User Mike730 at the above sourcelink superimposed a BLT-sized tower at the site of the South Garden Wing-- a new tower could fit there as well. However it wouldn't have those point-selling theme park views, so my bet is the convention center site is more likely.

BLT_Overlay.png

Last edited:
Hadn't heard the why of the YC convention center expansion but would be fairly surprised if it was due to removal of CR convention center. I don't know how easily they'd fill the CR tower and Garden wing rooms without it.

Hadn't heard the why of the YC convention center expansion but would be fairly surprised if it was due to removal of CR convention center. I don't know how easily they'd fill the CR tower and Garden wing rooms without it.

Well, if you figure BW, YC and BC would be less available, and they just cut the Wilderness Lodge in half, that likely leaves GW as the cheapest near-park Deluxe rooms. They would probably be fine.

There was a second tower in the original plans, but it was nixed during the recession. I wouldn't be surprised that see the plans resurface.

But, this sounds like someone making a conjecture based on that fact and the YC expansion. Maybe an educated guess, but a guess just the same.

I think they need to see first how this two different DVCs at WL go first before they try to stick a second at another dvc location.

There was a second tower in the original plans, but it was nixed during the recession. I wouldn't be surprised that see the plans resurface.

But, this sounds like someone making a conjecture based on that fact and the YC expansion. Maybe an educated guess, but a guess just the same.

Entirely possible. The poster did claim to have specific knowledge of the plans (timing of the Contemporary Convention Center demolition, GF convention center plans undecided). But alas, he is an anonymous source..

I think they need to see first how this two different DVCs at WL go first before they try to stick a second at another dvc location.
The current VWL only has 25 years left, while BLT has 44. Since they still keep the BLT price higher than the current resorts, it's entirely possible that they'll simply add the second tower to the existing resort.

Last edited:

The current VWL only has 25 years left, while BLT has 54. Since they still keep the BLT price higher than the current resorts, it's entirely possible that they'll simply add the second tower to the existing resort.

I think you mean 44 for BLT.

I would think that the expansion at the YC convention center is due to the fact it it the premiere location for large conferences that use it, the Swan and Dolphin and even BW.

I thought there was a problem with soil stability where the Garden Wing (formerly the South Wing) is located. I'm not sure it would support a tower as tall at BLT.

I thought there was a problem with soil stability where the Garden Wing (formerly the South Wing) is located. I'm not sure it would support a tower as tall at BLT.

Definitely a rumor. DVD will find a way to stabilize any foundation if it means selling a few million seriously expensive timeshare points!

Not sure, but this rumor suggests it would go on the site of the convention center on the other side of the main building and not where the Garden Wing is.

Last edited:
WDW News Today is now reporting this as well. They claim there are two competing sites -- the site of the convention center which will be demolished in favor of an expanded Yacht Club, and a site north of the existing Bay Lake Tower, even closer to MK

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/rumor...wing-constructed-disneys-contemporary-resort/

CONTEMP-1200x712.png
I think that is 100% a better location!

I wonder how the distance between that site and the contemporary compares to the distance between buildings at some of the more spread out resorts.

Definitely a rumor. DVD will find a way to stabilize any foundation if it means selling a few million seriously expensive timeshare points!
Yes, any location is possible with enough engineering $$$

But if it is 3x the cost of a River Country location, is it really worth it to DVD?

But if it is 3x the cost of a River Country location, is it really worth it to DVD?

If they could restore (rebuild at this point) river country and sell villas next to that.... Whoa. River County villas. RCV. I'm going to spread that rumor. It'll catch on.

Last edited:
According to this, Disney filed plans last Friday to expand the Yacht Club Convention Center in preparation for the closure of the Contemporary Convention Center late next year. Rumor is it's to make way for a new DVC property. As seen in the picture below, a new tower could be constructed at the south end of the convention center site without impeding the views of the main A-Frame building:

contemporary_site_plan.png

User Mike730 at the above sourcelink superimposed a BLT-sized tower at the site of the South Garden Wing-- a new tower could fit there as well. However it wouldn't have those point-selling theme park views, so my bet is the convention center site is more likely.

BLT_Overlay.png

Always thought those rooms that faced the canal would be unpleasant as to noise from the boats in the canal.

Still, don't doubt for a moment they'd sell out and be very popular

When reading through the WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events forum, on WDWMagic, give the most weight to the posts by WDW1974 (Spirit), Marni1971, PhotoDave219, and Lee.

WDW1974 has previously stated that an ideal balance has been reached at Disney's Contemporary Resort, with a fitting number of cash, convention, and DVC reservations.

WDW News Today is now reporting this as well. They claim there are two competing sites -- the site of the convention center which will be demolished in favor of an expanded Yacht Club, and a site north of the existing Bay Lake Tower, even closer to MK

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/rumor...wing-constructed-disneys-contemporary-resort/

CONTEMP-1200x712.png

Not to totally diverge, but I have to say..... I'm glad Google Maps chooses to highlight "The Barnstormer" as one of the signature attractions in the Magic Kingdom. :rolleyes1:tilt:

If DVD did go with that site (indicated in the red box... next to the world renowned Barnstormer),... I wonder if they'd spend the money to modify the monorail line somehow to service it? It's a bit of a hike from the main tower. There is a track that goes by it currently, but that is the track to the roundhouse, not part of the loop, so it would take some monorail construction to rework that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter