Rum Point Beach

feiste

DIS Veteran
Can anyone give me there opinions of Rum Point Beach. How long to get there, things to do, hurricane damage, worth the trip/not worth the trip?

Thanks!

We went to Rum Point Beach Jan 28th and had a great time. We've been on several cruises and this is one of our favorite stops. The water is the most beautiful turqoise blue and the beach is clean. Very picturesque. We purchased the Rum Point Beach and Stingray Snorkel excursion. You take a trip out to the reef on a glass bottom boat and then snorkel/swim with the stingrays...then back to the beach for a great lunch...choice of "large" sandwiches, burgers etc..comes w/fries and pickle. There is also a bar. We then got to snorkel off the beach and saw Lobster, barracuda, beautiful fish etc..The bus ride is about 10 minutes and then you take a boat out to the point (another 20 min?) When you get back to the pier you have about 2 hrs left to shop etc..before having to board back on the ship. Hope this helps! ~Barb~

Thanks Barb. Are there plenty of beach chairs? Was Grand Cayman affected by any of the hurricanes last year?

Rum Point didn't look affected by the hurricane. Plenty of trees with some areas nicely shaded. Looks just like the pics on the site. As far as the chairs..if you take the snorkel/stingray option you have a choice of going 1st or 2nd once you get on the beach. If you go first as we did you may have a difficult time finding some...but I have a little one so being right on the water was necessary and we just used our towels. If you take the 2nd trip you will no have a problem at all. :sunny: ~Barb~

thompson princesses said:
We went to Rum Point Beach Jan 28th and had a great time. We've been on several cruises and this is one of our favorite stops. The water is the most beautiful turqoise blue and the beach is clean. Very picturesque. We purchased the Rum Point Beach and Stingray Snorkel excursion. You take a trip out to the reef on a glass bottom boat and then snorkel/swim with the stingrays...then back to the beach for a great lunch...choice of "large" sandwiches, burgers etc..comes w/fries and pickle. There is also a bar. We then got to snorkel off the beach and saw Lobster, barracuda, beautiful fish etc..The bus ride is about 10 minutes and then you take a boat out to the point (another 20 min?) When you get back to the pier you have about 2 hrs left to shop etc..before having to board back on the ship. Hope this helps! ~Barb~

did you book this through disney?

Thanks.

Yes, we booked through Disney. I believe you can also book this on your own. The site offers a Rum Point Beach ferry that runs from the Hyatt on 7 mile beach..so you could do this yourself and probably save some $. It was just easier for me at the time to do it through Disney. The Disney excursion does include the lunch. You will find more info on the ferry at the above web site. :wave: ~Barb~

Barb,

Thanks for some great information on this excursion. If you don't mind, a couple more questions.

In total, how much time did you actually spend on the beach? We are not planning on doing the snorkling. Also, was the boat ride fun, or was it just transportation? We have done some excursions (like Blackbeard's Cay in Nassau) where it is just transportation. But have done others (like Fury Catamaran in Cozumel) where it was a party.

Some of the reviews scare me as it seems like there is a lot of travel time involved, and I am afraid of not enough time at the beach.

Much thanks.
David

We are going on the May 20th Western. I, too, am a little skittish about all the time involved. The Birnbaum review in the Cruise book wasn't all that great. Your experience sounds so positive- I am going to have to rethink this!

We did this in Jan 06 as well. We did this on our own, as we had a group of 50 people. We rented jeeps from Avis, $80 each including tax and gas. That was $20 each person.....much less than the excursion. We walked to a store right off of the tender and they bused us over to the car rental place. We got the jeeps, (I think we had 14 of them) and caravaned over to Rum Point. It was about a 40 minute drive, but a nice way to see the island. Because we did nto have a mapquest, ;) we were not too sure of where we were going. We had asked at Avis and they were like, just left and then turn right and you will be there. It was not quite that easy!!

How beautiful!! We loved Rum Point Our ages ranged from 3 to 83 and there was something for everyone!! I would not miss this spot, however you get there.

We also went to Rum Point in Nov. 05 there was no damage from the hurricane. We rented a jeep also, and drove to Rum Point. The drive was nice and it took us about 1 hour. We were one of the first ones off the ship and we were on the beach by 9:45. The beach is beautiful my kids had a great time in the water, and the food from the resturant was great!!!!!!!!! We left the beach by 1:30 or 2:00 and we were back by the ship by 3:00. We shopped a little and had a great day. I would definitely do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter