Rude People

Gordon

Earning My Ears
I am really MAD about the people who have no consideration for people in Wheelchairs or ECV's. After a week of looking at peoples butts I am tired of the way they just walk in front of you and just look back as if you are problem in their way.
This time I have my ECV and the problem is worse, if I go slow they cut in front of me and cause me to stop suddenly, which causes people behind me to crash into me. If I try to go quicker than the people to get ahead, I notice that most of them walk as they were DRUNK! not knowing weather to go left or right!
I actually had a child jump infront of me and wave his arms just to see if I could stop in time not to hit him!!:mad:

Once by accident at Biergarten at Epcot I backed into a woman while parking my ECV, I apoligized and once I was parked and got out of my ECV to hobble into the restraunt to eat her husband elbowed me on thier way out almost causing me to fall!

:(
Gordon

With some people, you just can't win. There are some who would like to keep people with disabilities invisible. Fortunately, there are some nice people in the world and you hope to come across the nice ones as oftne as possible.

Holy Cow! That's just plain rotten, especially that kid. My mother would've jerked a knot in my tail, on the spot! I am so sorry you were treated that way. It would've had me in a tizzy for the rest of the day.

If it helps, there are nice people out there, as I'm sure you know. Even at WDW. They're just not as obvious as we'd love them to be.

*snickers* I know this isn't very constructive, but I think it would be hilarious to sell ECV's and wheelchairs with electric cattle prods mounted on the front. If folks are gonna behave like cattle......ZAP!

My husband always says -- people step in front or a chair and expect it to stop! He is an experienced driver so with novices at WDW the ambulatory folks should be careful but they are not!!!

Add a service dog and people also stop and talk. One person asked if she could take a picture of our family ---but we noticed lots of others snapping our photo and videoing our approach! Ned is a gorgeous golden and gets lots of attention.

Linda

I've had the cattle prod suggestion brought up to me on many occasions!! :)

But when I was reading the post to DH..he thought I was going to say CATAPULT!!!!!

I think I like the latter idea better.....

SHHHHHHH-KUNK!!!!!!

:jester: :jester: :bounce: :bounce: :jester: :jester:

I was thinking about a AIR HORN like those used on boats, if someone got in my way I would blast the horn causing them to leap out of my way!:D

Gordon,
My daughter threatened to buy me one. How about a cowcatcher to mow them down with and push them out of the way?
It is really fustrating at times. Especially when you warn them and then they get mad at you for being there. Been cursed out a few times when I've told someone to watch out as they are walking in front of me or precariously close to the wheels.:(
I really thing AB need to realize that they need to be responsible too and assume that a person in a wheelchair has the complete responsibility to avoid accidents with them. After all would they walk in front of a car and play dodge with that? I don't think so.
I've learned to handle all sorts of barriers but the people are the most difficult to deal with.

Some people DO walk out in front of cars without looking and expect they will stop. My oldest DD drives thru downtown Minneapolis for school andd finds people jumping out in front of her all the time.
I think some of the same people who jump in front of wheelchairs at WDW, probably jump out in front of cars.
i like the catapult idea thought. My DD wouold really enjoy catapulting people out of her way.

My DD was pushing her stroller with Grandbaby in it between Small World and Pooh when this Ladie decided the line was too long and in stepping back to get out of the crowd,she almost stepped in the stroller ON the BABY!!! DD yelled watch out for my baby!! And then the Lady cussed DD out!?!?:( :(

I hate people who cut in front of my powered wheelchair in slow moving lines. Two recent occasions come to mind, one at MK closing when I was part of the crowd moving slowly up the ramp to the monorail, the other at the end of a Tarzan Rocks show when I was part of the crowd heading back into the rest of AK.

Because people stop dead in front of me, I hold back five foot or so to give me a safe stopping distance. People behind me assume I am not trying to keep up with the crowd and 'overtake', filling in that gap in front. If I fall back another five feet the cycle just starts again. So now, I shout at them explaining why I was holding back, and if they don't get behind me again, I take it as their consent to my riding six inches behind their feet, with the inevitable consequences.

Another one that gets to me are people who 'fill in' in front of me when say, I am watching the performers on the Boardwalk.

My final grumble is about crowds watching Tappestry at Epcot. I am not near a special wheelchair enclosure so line up right behind the white line with everyone else. Then as the parade approaches, the guy on my right leans out to get a better view with his camcorder completely blocking my view.

Andrew

It's no better at the handicapped areas. Unfortunately Disney has choosen to place the crosswalks right by the handicapped area and always between it and the approaching parade. No way to take a decent pick as you constantly have people crossing between you and the parade.:mad:

My favorite are the people who walk backward. They just decide to take two or three steps back from what they are gawking at as though there isn't anyone around. There is an often crossed fine line between getting lost in the Disney magic and losing your common sense.:p

I'm a supporter of the air horns. I wonder if they are available in lime green? :confused:

However, the clamps in the back of an ECV designed to hold a cane will also fit a cattle prod!!!!

I'm "just visiting". I as a person who is not disabled love the idea of the air horn. I became very aware of the treatment of those in chairs when I still in High School and my Best friend's fiance was in a wheel chair. Later I was freinds with someone who had a circulatory diease and lost one leg and 1/2 his foot on ther other one. His wife and I almost got into a fist fight with a couple of punks who wanted the handicap spot we were pulling onto. They kept yelling it did not matter if she had handicap plates they were in the parking lot first and it was the only space left. I also have a close friend who is particially paralized and blind in one eye. I could not beleive the way one woman spoke to him becasue she tried to cut around him on his "bad" side and he did not see her and bumped her. I was ready to run after her and he begged me not to. He said he was use to it. I hate the idea anyone would have to get use to people being rude to them becasue of their disability. Hope you don't mind the visit. LOL

I confess, I once stood behind a lady in a wheelchair because I wanted to take pictures at the Tapestry of Nations. I asked her and her husband if they minded me standing there (I wasn't touching her chair, but I didn't want to invade their space) and they told me to go right ahead. The woman was glad she could be of service (truly she said that!!) I don't think I managed to wander into a handicapped seating area, but in any event, I was permitted to stand there for the whole parade.

But, no, I would never purposely cut off someone in a wheelchair or an ECV. In fact, after reading these past few posts I am sitting here shaking my head wondering how rude people can possibly be. If my mother caught me doing this stuff, she'd throttle me (yes, I'm 40, but she still keeps me in line!)

But then again, I live in New York City, so why am I even surprised????

Donna

sha_lynn and FergieTCat, you are welcome here anytime. You both sound considerate and would be welcome to take pictures by us any time.

Most people (wheeled or unwheeled) just want to be treated with respect. People need to realize that a wheelchair or ecv is part of the wheelchair user's personal space.
My DD has had her wheelchair invaded several times. Once, someone sat their child on her footrests (while she was sitting in the wheelchair) while we were in a line that had stopped for a few minutes. Waiting for a parade at MK, DD was out of her wheelchair sitting on the curb. Someone sat their child in her wheelchair. At Fantasmic and the Indiana Jones show, people who were "standing room only" have leaned against her wheelchair and one family sat their toddler on her headrest (she was in the wheelchair at the time).
We've also experienced the "fill in the line" situation where we were trying to maintain a safe following distance or saving room to turn.
That's the type of rude behavior that happens all the time. Some of it is from people not realizing how much room a wheelchair needs, but some is just plain rude. People would not sit their child on another family's stroller (or maybe they would), but a wheelchair is fair game.

I can not imagind someone sitting their child in your DD's chair or on a part of it while she is in it. Probably the same type of person that sat at our table the other day at Mcdonalds. If she had asked I probably wouldn't haveminded but she sat her son at atable for 2 (there was another table of 2 next to it). I was sitting a table for 4. My 2 kids food was still there but they were playing. Next thing I know this woman sits on my pocketbook rght next to me an puts her daughter in front of my sons food on the ohter side. I asked her did she not see me sitting there and she just ignorred me and kept eating. This was in the indoor playground area. the kids never did play, and there were empty tables in the main part of the resturant. It still makes no sence to me at all.

Sue --

Thank you. :D

As I've mentioned, I like it over here because there's so much positive energy. I am also learning alot about being gracious.

I will continue to be forever amazed at how inconsiderate people can be, because it takes just as much energy to use manners.

Donna

I know exactly what you mean! It's so annoying especially when you are trying to leave
the parks at closing. I have little patience I must confess and by the end of the day, I'm
fed up. If I'm going along at a normal, even pace and someone cuts in front of me, I don't
even try to stop. If they get run into it's their problem. Unless it's a child and then I do
stop. It's so frustrating though and hard. I did accidently run into a kid once. He jumped in
front of me and I stopped immediately but sometimes you get an ECV that doesn't stop
immediately and keeps rolling for a foot or two. It wasn't my fault but you still feel bad.
Once, at Universal, there was a big rainfall. After when the park was closing and we were
leaving, all of a sudden my ECV started picking up speed. I couldn't slow it down or stop
it. I took my hands off and it still kept going, I tried putting it in reverse and it just sped up
in reverse. Finally I pulled the keys out and the thing stopped. The people at Universal
said it must have got a short from the rain. That was scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter