Rt.417 By-Pass

bridgewaterduo

Earning My Ears
Tell me all about the Rt 417 bypass around Orlando. Will be coming from the north.
Thanks much:
Bridgewaterduo !!!!

Tell me all about the Rt 417 bypass around Orlando. Will be coming from the north.
Thanks much:
Bridgewaterduo !!!!

We love it and use it every trip. We take 95 to I-4 to 417 at Sanford.

If you are using a GPS, DO NOT LISTEN TO IT when you get onto 417. Just stay on, and eventually it will give in and give you directions to WDW. Otherwise, it will keep telling you to exit and go back in the opposite direction/turn around to get back onto I-4.

Tolls are around $7.50 for the entire trip. Some are only 50 cents, others are $2.00. You can always get change, but you must get into the cash lanes. The Sunpass lanes are completely separate and totally automated. I did that once and they sent me an invoice for a missed toll - no penalty.

The other tip I have is to make sure you take the second Disney Exit, NOT the first one. Especially if you're driving to the Fort, but no matter where you go, the second exit is the one to take because that's the one that takes you through the big gate. You'll pass Gaylord Palms, then get onto the main WDW highway that will go straight to the MK gate. That's your Fort Wilderness entrance, too, so it's perfect. If you take the first exit off 417, you'll go in the DTD way which is always backed up and crowded because of the lights on 535 and 536.

Let me know if you have any questions. We've used 417 at least 10 times.

Depends on time of day. Between 9 and 3 a.m. I'd go I-4 and after 6 p.m. I'd use 4. 417 takes you way south around Orlando not to mention the tolls. Just try and plan around rush hour.

I keep a small jar of quarters for the 417 as there are "Exact Coins Only" thru lanes that have no attendant and are faster than the attendant lanes that give change and receipts.

Depends on time of day. Between 9 and 3 a.m. I'd go I-4 and after 6 p.m. I'd use 4. 417 takes you way south around Orlando not to mention the tolls. Just try and plan around rush hour.

I-4 is always full of tourists and they have no idea how to drive through there. That's why we avoid it, it's not the rush hour locals who know what they're doing, it's everybody else and they are there 24 hours a day.

If you watch the local traffic reports, there is almost always some sort of backup due to an accident on I-4.

Maybe at 3 or 4 am it would be okay. Otherwise, the extra time, miles and quarters are worth it for the avoidance of 7 lanes of crazy traffic in the middle of a city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter