RSR Ride Conditions?

Occasional malfunctioning isn't uncommon. There's a LOT of tech in that ride, and it's very fragile. So the smallest things can interrupt the process and create a malfunction.

When I was there a few weeks ago (end of Sept), I believe everything was working.

My family and I were on RSR on Oct. 13 and Oct. 14. I think everything was working!

People who visit multiple times a year/month and probably have Magic Keys, can easily notice a lot of things not working. To me the issue is not that things break or not working, but the fact that in some cases it has been months and nothing has been done to fix it. RSR and Indiana Jones are BIG examples.

Here are the others...
The Yeti is about 50/50 if it works or not.
The Women chasing the Pirates scene, Almost always has something wrong with it.
Splash AAs in the dark and turned off.

I think the ride will still be great for the causal visitor. But I can't think of a single time I rode RSR over the past year when everything was working. Often times, Frank or Mater won't move or mouths aren't moving properly.

Disney maintenance is definitely not as good as it was pre-pandemic but sometimes that is a good thing. I don't know if it's been fixed now but one of the waiting rooms where Rocket comes out was broken for Guardians of the Galaxy so you could see both A and B versions of the pre-show for Monsters After Dark in the same day. Most of the time, both rooms function normally so you don't get to see the B version of the pre-show.

I rode it four or five times last week and noticed a number of things wrong. If you haven't done it in years you might not notice, if you're a kid you probably won't notice, and if you've never done it before you won't notice. It's a great attractions still, BUT, after doing Disney yearly for the last five or six years, I noticed characters not moving on their tracks, a couple mouth movements not working, one tractor not falling over all the time (about 50% of the time it did), the window for the white wall tires not working one day (the curtain never opened). It needs some work. I actually noticed a number of attractions in the park that had a few small things not working... a couple lighting effects that weren't working, stuttering a couple times on Smugglers run like it was on an old computer (really found that odd), audio completely stopping half way through Space Mountain on one specific ride vehicle (actually got that car twice on the same day and it stopped at the same point both times yet other cars ran fine).

Probably "short staffed."

I would imagine it's easier for Disney to keep things working than to let major issues happen and require extensive downtime to fix... example, World of Color. Routine maintenance and operation probably would be far cheaper than the lengthy downtime and repair that it's having right now.

Again, while the front facing side of Disney is "hey, everything is back to normal, come on down!" I think the back end is "holy cow staffing is an issue, supplies are an issue, logistics are an issue, help!"

This article is ridiculous. I rode the ride on Sunday and it was all working fine.

I've been on it probably over 200 times (that is not an exaggeration) and there are some elements that are not always working 100% of the time, but overall the ride is in amazing condition given it's age and popularity. It is very infrequently down for refurbishment and they keep it in good shape year round.

The few things that are sometimes not working perfectly are:

The first Mater who comes into view sometimes isn't moving on the track

The tractor "bull" sometimes doesn't move forward towards the cars

At times, the railroad crossing area is dark

The whitewall effect is temperamental and sometimes the curtain doesn't even open

Luigi sometimes fails to pop up before changing your tires

That's all I've noticed, ever. At no time were all those things failing at once. In general, there might be zero to one thing not working on any given ride through. I've never personally noticed projections of faces not working or being "off pace."

Didn't read the article, but the last time I rode it back in July we raced solo - no competitor car pulled up after sitting for a minute and then it just took off for a solo run.

Didn't read the article, but the last time I rode it back in July we raced solo - no competitor car pulled up after sitting for a minute and then it just took off for a solo run.

That happens every once in awhile too.

Didn't have any issues with RSR in October that I noticed. We did ride Monster's Inc. and they had no news stories running in the ride vehicle and the lady at the end wasn't interacting as we exited. That was disappointing.

This article is ridiculous. I rode the ride on Sunday and it was all working fine.

I've been on it probably over 200 times (that is not an exaggeration) and there are some elements that are not always working 100% of the time, but overall the ride is in amazing condition given it's age and popularity. It is very infrequently down for refurbishment and they keep it in good shape year round.

The few things that are sometimes not working perfectly are:

The first Mater who comes into view sometimes isn't moving on the track

The tractor "bull" sometimes doesn't move forward towards the cars

At times, the railroad crossing area is dark

The whitewall effect is temperamental and sometimes the curtain doesn't even open

Luigi sometimes fails to pop up before changing your tires

That's all I've noticed, ever. At no time were all those things failing at once. In general, there might be zero to one thing not working on any given ride through. I've never personally noticed projections of faces not working or being "off pace."

you're a good one to ask - is there any trick or hint as to whether you're going to get luigi or ramone? we've probably been only on it...20 times, and 18 of those times have been ramone and my kids are determined to find out why. haha.

you're a good one to ask - is there any trick or hint as to whether you're going to get luigi or ramone? we've probably been only on it...20 times, and 18 of those times have been ramone and my kids are determined to find out why. haha.

There's no way to know ahead of time. The cars alternate, and they typically launch cars in groups of 4 from the loading area. However, there is also a handicap loading area and that 5th car is sometimes sent out between groups of 4, so it's not like cars 1 and 3 go to Ramone's and 2 and 4 go to Luigis. It just depends on where you car is on the track compared to the other cars. There is no way to know which way yours will go until you see the car in front of you go to one or the other.

I CAN tell you, though, that the car that goes to Ramone's wins the race the majority of the time.

There's no way to know ahead of time. The cars alternate, and they typically launch cars in groups of 4 from the loading area. However, there is also a handicap loading area and that 5th car is sometimes sent out between groups of 4, so it's not like cars 1 and 3 go to Ramone's and 2 and 4 go to Luigis. It just depends on where you car is on the track compared to the other cars. There is no way to know which way yours will go until you see the car in front of you go to one or the other.

I CAN tell you, though, that the car that goes to Ramone's wins the race the majority of the time.

The cars on both sides actually win a majority of the time because sometimes, both cars win the same race. But the right side does win more often. From the data from the guy who has riden it over 10K times, the left side wins about 51.5% of the time and the right side wins about 54% of the time (a statistically significant difference).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter