Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay

MLB1974

Earning My Ears
Okay, so I have Portofino Bay booked for two nights at the end of June before switching to Sapphire Falls for six nights. Royal Pacific just popped up for $120 less than Portofino Bay. Is Portofino Bay that much better, or should I jump on this because it will make transferring all of our stuff that much easier? We have our anniversary dinner booked at Mama Della's, but it would not be that big a deal to get over there for the meal. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

We have never stayed at RP as PB is our resort of choice. Is your party just adults? Does it matter how close your walk is to the parks? Is price a big consideration? We love PB - the ambiance, the restaurants, bars, spa, pools and don't mind the longer walk to the parks. Personally we are huge fans of everything Universal so I don't think you could go wrong with either choice - it will be a matter of what's a priority.

Enjoy your anniversary!!

No, Portofino is not worth that much more.

Also transferring is easy from any of the hotels to be honest, but Sapphire and Royal are attached by an internal walkway through the ballroom convention areas if you did choose to walk, it is an easy walk.

We do it most days 😊

We have never stayed at RP as PB is our resort of choice. Is your party just adults? Does it matter how close your walk is to the parks? Is price a big consideration? We love PB - the ambiance, the restaurants, bars, spa, pools and don't mind the longer walk to the parks. Personally we are huge fans of everything Universal so I don't think you could go wrong with either choice - it will be a matter of what's a priority.

Enjoy your anniversary!!
Two adults and a 9 year old. Oh! And thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Last edited:

No, Portofino is not worth that much more.

Also transferring is easy from any of the hotels to be honest, but Sapphire and Royal are attached by an internal walkway through the ballroom convention areas if you did choose to walk, it is an easy walk.

We do it most days 😊
Having read your last few trip reports, I figured this would be your take. :-) I just made the switch. That is $240+ more in my pocket, and an easier walk to the parks for the win! This will make justifying impulse purchases at the parks that much easier! 8-)

Having read your last few trip reports, I figured this would be your take. :-) I just made the switch. That is $240+ more in my pocket, and an easier walk to the parks for the win! This will make justifying impulse purchases at the parks that much easier! 8-)

lol......I am a little predictable with some things 😉

Glad to hear it, that`s a nice saving.

And you are super close to Sapphire for your move. It’s a quick walk with your luggage to switch, I have done it the other direction from Sapphire to RPR. I also like RPR proximity to the parks much better than PBH.

Two adults and a 9 year old. Oh! And thanks for the anniversary wishes!
Mom of 9 year old here! My 9 year old is obsessed with portofino bay because they have a water slide. RPR doesn’t.

Mom of 9 year old here! My 9 year old is obsessed with portofino bay because they have a water slide. RPR doesn’t.
We will be going to Volcano Bay, switching to Sapphire Falls (which has a waterslide) on day 3, and pool hopping the rest of the resort pools over our stay. She will get plenty of slides! I would love to stay at Portofino in the future; LRP just looks like the best option for us right now.

We will be going to Volcano Bay, switching to Sapphire Falls (which has a waterslide) on day 3, and pool hopping the rest of the resort pools over our stay. She will get plenty of slides! I would love to stay at Portofino in the future; LRP just looks like the best option for us right now.
If you don’t mind, please let me know how the slides are for your child at sapphire falls….I’ve been thinking about taking my daughter there next time!

If you don’t mind, please let me know how the slides are for your child at sapphire falls….I’ve been thinking about taking my daughter there next time!
I will! I am hoping to do a trip report for this one. I started one for a Disney trip in 2019 and failed miserably at finishing it. This time, for sure! I've heard that Sapphire Falls' pool is the best on property.

I’ve been monitoring prices at the top 3. We had a Sapphire/Portofino split stay and last night I saw AP price drop at RP, so we’re switching from PB to RP. I love both hotels so no problem switching. I do like PB pool better but RP pool is ok. I like the looks of the new Tuk-Tuk market at RP. Lots of options. Our last stay they were just starting lobby Reno

I’ve been monitoring prices at the top 3. We had a Sapphire/Portofino split stay and last night I saw AP price drop at RP, so we’re switching from PB to RP. I love both hotels so no problem switching. I do like PB pool better but RP pool is ok. I like the looks of the new Tuk-Tuk market at RP. Lots of options. Our last stay they were just starting lobby Reno
What time frame was AP available? I've been trying to snag one for late August for a month.

We like Royal Pacific more. It has a more relaxed fun vibe. Portofino is beautiful too - just not our favorite.

I am having the same dilemma. I booked PBR a few weeks ago for my January trip, a portofino suite. At the time RPR was outrageously expensive; they must not have released the less expensive rooms. Now the rooms are on sale for cheaper than the suite I booked. I can book two rooms (I am travelling with three other adults) for $300 less than the suite. The theming at PB does look amazing, but RPR would be easier for park access.

What time frame was AP available? I've been trying to snag one for late August for a month.
:sad: I saw it last night and messaged my TA to switch me, but this morning poof pixiedust: it was gone. My dates are first half of Aug. Keep watching and when you see one grab it. I didn’t think it would disappear so fast.

:sad: I saw it last night and messaged my TA to switch me, but this morning poof pixiedust: it was gone. My dates are first half of Aug. Keep watching and when you see one grab it. I didn’t think it would disappear so fast.
Sorry you missed it😔🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter