Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

This weekend went pretty well for my continuation of getting out the door and running outside. Saturday it was 40-50 some degrees, cold and rainy. I decided I would do my weekend run on Sunday instead and pray for better weather. If weather didn't hold up I'd get my behind to the gym for a treadmill session.
Feeling especially excited that my beloved hawks won their playoff round to advance to the finals on Saturday night...but also feeling bloated by the pizza and ice cream that I ate watching the game...I knew running HAD to happen Sunday.

I woke up to COLD and RAINY. Ugh. My daughter wanted to take her nap at about 11:45am and my hubby gave me the "you should probably run now" speech and his was definitely right. I could either get ready and drive to the gym or take advantage of the rain letting up and run in the drizzly. I threw on long pants, two layers of long sleeved shirts, my hat, and out I went. It wasn't raining so much as the wind was blowing all the water off the trees everywhere. It felt pretty gnarly for the first 10 minutes. But then suddenly cool and refreshing as I got hotter from the jog. I did have to be ever vigilant of puddley, muddy spots where the sidewalks turned into street at the intersections.
But I did it.
2.99 miles per my C25k week 7 day 2. 5 min walk, 25 min jog, 5 min walk. I really tried to run "easier" so that I wouldn't kill myself on the slippery conditions. My pace for the jog was 10:44. I feel good about that.
My left knee did feel sore yesterday after my run though and that worries me. It feels totally normal today. I made sure to stretch well outside after my run. But I sat in a movie theatre watching Tomorrowland with my mom (GO SEE IT! IT IS REALLY GOOD!) and it just got stiff.
Something to keep an eye on. Maybe ease back on my next jog Tues if it feels funny while running.

I've got a busy week next week. So this week my focus is to keep on track and run Tue and Thur. Hopefully outside if it is light out again, but treadmill if not.

I chased the sunset again. This is my new term for leaving my house at 8pm and trying to get home before it gets dark. I don't know what got into me, but I think I had a full on runner's high. My C25k app has me finishing week 7 and running for 25 minutes + the walking before and after. I just felt really strong and really good and managed 3.06 miles before I hit my driveway and finished my walk up and down it. Best avg. pace and distance using this app.
I've had a lot of anxieties weighing me down about some family illnesses and a few things happened yesterday that are good and positive and "heading in the right direction" and I think maybe that weight lifting made me physically lighter or stronger? I dunno...but it was therapeutic none the less.

Thinking I'll take it easier on Thursday when I'm set to run again. Or not...haha

Talked with my hubby about next step goals and I think maybe next I'll just start picking an amount of time (like 45 minutes and just see how far I get...just comfy easy jogging.) That or do something "non jogging" one of my days to "cross train"...like zumba or yoga again. Two more weeks of C25k to go though before that point.

Really liking reading everyone's journals this week too. I run for you guys just as much as myself now!

I feel like I was a bit of a slacker last week. I ran on Tuesday and then decided to clean the house on Thursday instead of running. And it actually was a workout, but not the same. Then Thursday turned into Friday (and who wants to run on a Friday) and then Saturday was so nice out that we played outside instead and then I wanted to take a nap when my toddler was napping. And then Saturday turned into Sunday. And then it was raining.
And my husband, god bless him, looked at me while all of us were playing play doh in the basement and said "Mommy is going to go running." And my daughter had that look at me like "mommy is not going running." But he talked to her and up I went to get changed into my workout gear. I could hear them having a grand ole time in the basement so I knew it was safe to make my escape.
It had been raining all day and the forecast said a storm was coming in 10 minutes, so I drove to the gym. I think there were maybe 5 people there on machines total which is almost no one (I go to one of those mega-gyms) so it was kind of nice to literally have no one running near me. But also a little weird.
I did my C25K app week 8 routine of 5 min walk/28 min run/ 5 min walk. And it was not bad. I was a 5.0 speed on the treadmill. I cannot for the life of me figure out tread mill speed vs my actual pace "in the wild" aka outside.
Anyone have any tips for treadmill speed? I mostly just know that over a 6.5 and I'm a klutzy mess. But the pace on the treadmill that it tells me I am running at is way slower than what I run outside (I know this via my gps, via my app and via my 5k finish time.)
Oh well...I was sweating and not dying while also not taking it too easy, so I guess that's all that matters.
Second question:
Does anyone day dream while they run? I am not too proud to admit that I was imagining I was on some kind of reality get fit show where I had to outlast other contestants on the treadmill and everyone was so amazed that I was still running! And that is what kept me going those last 5 minutes. Because I am a dork :) American Ninja Treadmill Warrior???

I was a 5.0 speed on the treadmill. I cannot for the life of me figure out tread mill speed vs my actual pace "in the wild" aka outside.
Anyone have any tips for treadmill speed? I mostly just know that over a 6.5 and I'm a klutzy mess. But the pace on the treadmill that it tells me I am running at is way slower than what I run outside (I know this via my gps, via my app and via my 5k finish time.)
5.0 MPH = 12:00/mile pace
6.0 MPH = 10:00/mile pace

Unless your treadmill is poorly calibrated. :)

And I don't dream while I run, mostly just think about what I need to get done that day/over the next few days (what I'm making for dinner that week, what I need to work on at work that day, etc.). Your way sounds a lot more fun. :thumbsup2

Ok, so that makes total sense! I did not realize the number = mph. I comfortably run in between 10:00 and 11:00 pace when I am outside and I feel like I am working harder outside than at 5.0 on the treadmill...that all makes sense.

Maybe I will see what it feels like back to about 5.5. And if it feels not so great I will back off.

Ok, so that makes total sense! I did not realize the number = mph. I comfortably run in between 10:00 and 11:00 pace when I am outside and I feel like I am working harder outside than at 5.0 on the treadmill...that all makes sense.

Maybe I will see what it feels like back to about 5.5. And if it feels not so great I will back off.
I think that sounds like a good idea!

The other thing with treadmills is that 1. you're totally flat the entire time (whereas outside you have uphills and downhills - even if they are slight, they're still there), 2. the treadmill is a little softer surface than outside if you're running on concrete/asphalt, and 3. you are getting a little help from the belt actually moving on the treadmill - it could be "pulling" you, if that makes sense.

I've read recommendations from people to put the treadmill incline to 1%-2% to make it more "equal" with running outside, but personally I don't worry about it. :) Might be something to look into for people that do ALL of their runs on a treadmill when they are training for a road race, though.

I actually go a little faster on the treadmill than I do outside - I do 5.0-5.2 on the treadmill (11:30-12:00 min/mile) & I'm usually a little over 12:00 outside (although I have been known to dip lower occasionally). Not sure why. But definitely use the information @Ariel484 gave you in terms of pace, up the incline if you want to simulate outside more (although I really don't find it that significant of a distance), and see what works for you.

Does anyone day dream while they run? I am not too proud to admit that I was imagining I was on some kind of reality get fit show where I had to outlast other contestants on the treadmill and everyone was so amazed that I was still running! And that is what kept me going those last 5 minutes. Because I am a dork :) American Ninja Treadmill Warrior???

Yeah, I thought I was the only one who did that.
Although I've never come up with American Ninja Treadmill Warrior ... I do sometimes dream about make believe races. Or assorted other things that have absolutely nothing to do with running.

For those traininr on a treadmill - to get the feel and workout of a street run, raise the incline to 1.0. While the speed is in MPH, it does not translate well to real world ability or training without the incline as you do not have to push off to move "forward". The incline compensates for that.

So tonight is my next 5k in my journey. And I'm having weather anxiety as well as, no one to hold my stuff anxiety.
I will leaving work at 5 to drive downtown and get parking. Then I'll pick up my packet and gear check bag. Here's the annoying part. The weather says it will rain from 6pm through midnight tonight. I have never ran in full on rain. I went to walmart on my lunch break and bought one of those hip belt things to store my car key and phone and ID and headphones if it rains and I do not want to have them on my Nike armband and in my hands while running.
So do I bring an umbrella and gear check it. I am not sure my raincoat would fit in a gear bag. AHhhhhhhh!

And what about wet socks??

The ANXIETY is at maximum levels.

At least the physical aspect of running is the only thing I am not worried about. Which is kind of funny.

The area near the lake and the zoo and the lagoon should be really pretty....if I can see any of it. Afraid I'll have my head down praying the rain stops splashing me in the eyes. Ugh

Grab yourself a moisture-wicking hat and moisture-wicking socks. Also, you may want to bring a garbage bag with you - rip arm holes and wear it over your clothes while you are waiting for the race to start so you don't get completely soaked.

You'll be okay! Good luck!!

Thanks Ariel. I have my hat luckily in my trunk and my socks are moisture-wicking I think. I think I'm just gonna grin and bear it. Maybe I'll get lucky with the weather.
Le Sigh.

I'll report back tonight on my splashy good time.

Thanks Ariel. I have my hat luckily in my trunk and my socks are moisture-wicking I think. I think I'm just gonna grin and bear it. Maybe I'll get lucky with the weather.
Le Sigh.

I'll report back tonight on my splashy good time.
Good luck! I did Wine & Dine in the rain...it wasn't ideal but my BFFs and I made the best of it and we felt like bad***es for making it through. :) You got this!!

And now a "things a newbie has learned" and "new rules" report.

New thing I learned: I should have been more concerned about traffic than about the weather.
New thing I learned: It's just easier to pick up packets pre-race day, because then you don't have to add that into things you need to make time for on race day.
New thing I learned: Do not drink 3 full bottles of water after lunch and then sit in the car for 1 hr and 45 minutes.
NEW Rule: I will not run a race on a weekday on a workday when driving to the race is during Rush Hour. Next time I will take a vacation or 1/2 day off. Or just run weekend races.
NEW Rule: I will not run a race on the NORTH side of the city on a weekday. Probably just a good rule to rule all North side races out until its not the Summer any more.
NEW Rule: I will not be so hard on myself when things don't go perfectly as planned. This is supposed to be fun and not stressful.

I am great-ful for my cheerleaders that helped me to not feel so bad when I had minor freak-outs about being late!

It did rain but only for 5 minutes. I know now that having ample time to park and stretch and go to the bathroom and pick up my packet and gear check and all those things is super important to my issues with anxiety about being late/things not running smoothly.

So next run should go better. It's in my neighborhood. Literally a 5 min walk from my house. And its on a Saturday morning.

I am going offline for awhile now because I'm heading out of town to visit my sister and we have all kinds of fun stuff planned. "See" you all next week as I get back onto my running kick!

I'm glad to hear the race went well without much rain! But yeah, traffic is a killer sometimes and it can totally throw off your schedule, which is not a good thing for a race. It's great that you were able to learn from your missteps and you now know what races might not be manageable for you.

I hope you're having a great time on your trip!

Congrats on your race Roxy! Hope your trip to see your sister was great! You continue to inspire me....just want you to know that.

Hi All,

Back from vacation with my sister. No jogging has been done as I've fallen in to a little bit of a slacker moment. But I did do what I set out to do which was truly RELAX. Many margaritas were had. BUT I swam for what seemed like a million hours on Saturday and we literally walked until we were ready to keel over this weekend. I should have ran last night since I was back home, especially since we had a break from all this rain hitting Chicago land, but the siren song of sitting the couch and sleep got me.
So the game plan for me is to run TONIGHT! Hoping for outside but will go to the gym if necessary. I can reward myself with watching Game of Thrones (no spoilers please even though I feel like I kinda know what happened based on the thousands of tweets and memes on the internet...I just don't know the hows or whys.)
Then I will run on Friday and again over the weekend and then back to my normal schedule next week.
My next race is 6/27 and its the one in my neighborhood and I'm crossing my toes that I can do really well for a PR. I'd be super happy with a sub-30 but realize a lot of things would have to go right for that to happen. I'll be happy to get close to or top my 31:08 best.

This reminds me I need to register!

Question: How do you get yourself out of a slacking off rut? It's been too many days of non-running and I'm starting to realize how easy it is to just not run. Even though I like running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter