Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

The worst part is we only had one water bottle left in our fridge at home and my husband really wanted it, but I said I needed it for my workout. I should have let him have it... that bottle was out to get me!!!

Oh my!
I am super clumsy and know the feeling... :crazy2:
When I was at the college I lost track of how many times I fell in the same hallway...full of people. Yeah. Not really nice.
But, well...you got your best mark, so good job, girl!, :thumbsup2

I ran tonight and stayed on two feet this time! Well, I guess one foot then the other then the other etc etc etc
The tvs were all out of service tonight and I wondered if it would make for a dull run, but I actually really liked it. I sort of focused on things right in front of me and it seemed to help my balance and posture. I find if I'm looking up at a tv I tend to drift to the side on the treadmill.
I ran 2.63 miles tonight and am happy with that because it felt really good. I jogged at 5.5 speed and the last min of each jog interval I bumped up to 6.
I'm nearing the end of getting to walk in my program...scary but exciting?!?

Now the important stuff. I'm running in a Candy Run next month. Should I be a chocolate bar in brown sparkles, a red kit kat, a silver Hershey kiss? I need ideas!
I'm pretty modest but don't mind a bunch of bling :)

They released the pic of the medal and it's kind of perfect for me and my sweet tooth! Maybe I'll just get a sparkle skirt to match?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Way to go on your running so far! Following along on these boards and journals are really inspirational and motivating to me as I look to kick up my own running. I'm registered for Wine and Dine in November, but have a ways to go to be ready for that. Keep up the great work!

Now the important stuff. I'm running in a Candy Run next month. Should I be a chocolate bar in brown sparkles, a red kit kat, a silver Hershey kiss? I need ideas!
I'm pretty modest but don't mind a bunch of bling :)

They released the pic of the medal and it's kind of perfect for me and my sweet tooth! Maybe I'll just get a sparkle skirt to match?
Umm, I'm pretty sure that's one of the most perfect medals ever. So cute and what a fun sounding race!

Hi DisneyDreamer! Thanks for reading my journal!

I'm jealous that you are doing the wine and dine. It sounds amazing and is on my bucket list for sure! I really do have a sweet tooth. I just added the Hot Chocolate race in Chicago to my schedule for my November race because they give you chocolate at the end. The medal is a chocolate bar but only for the 15k....maybe I'll be ready for that by Nov.???

Morning observation time!

Although I do not personally have a weight loss goal with my running right now (just would be a nice side effect) I can totally see how it's hard to eat better while running. After every run day I wake up Starving!!! Where are those mini muffins?

Hi DisneyDreamer! Thanks for reading my journal!

I'm jealous that you are doing the wine and dine. It sounds amazing and is on my bucket list for sure! I really do have a sweet tooth. I just added the Hot Chocolate race in Chicago to my schedule for my November race because they give you chocolate at the end. The medal is a chocolate bar but only for the 15k....maybe I'll be ready for that by Nov.???
I'm so excited for it! Hoping for better weather than they had last year! And hoping I can get the needed days off work (working in a school makes that harder since I only have one personal day per year). Have fun doing the Hot Chocolate race. I've heard about that series and the medals are so cute, so it's definitely on my list to do someday as well. I'm from the Milwaukee area, so the Chicago one would be the closest to me. I'd do it this year, but it's the same weekend as Wine and Dine. But next year is calling my name!

Just got back from my run. I was going to go earlier in the day but my little toddler did not nap until 12:20 and we were having too much fun playing together. It's 80 degrees today and has a hot windy thing going on. But I know most of my path I s shady, so I and went out anyways. Three 5 minute jog segments with 3 min walk intervals in between. 5 min walk warmup and 5 min cool down.
I think I went 2.79 miles but maybe more? You'll see why below.

The first 5 min went great. Just under 10 min pace. Second 5 min jog was even better. I may have overdone it as I was down around 9:25. The third 5min jog I slogged through. Like absolutely willed myself. There was less shade, wind was in my face, sun was hot. But I did it and didn't quit. And then with 1 min left to jog I hear "workout complete"
What?
My hand must have bumped the quit button while I was switching my phone into my other hand. So I quickly looked at my miles, hit next workout and just jogged the last minute and walked the cool down. Then math.
Ugh. But I hit my best average pace of 10:10 and think it was best distance if not close.

Also I'm bright red still and it's been an hour since I ran. I'm very very fair and Irish. I'll look like I have a sunburn for a good 20 more minutes at the very least. Thank god for makeup! (I'm realizing now I'll be the color of Ariel's hair if I stop and take a pic with her during runDisney race...haha)

Last edited:
Your body is going through changes as it acclimitizes to the heat. Your body has to increase its blood plasma levels to help cool you more efficiently. Until it does so, your face will get very red when running in the heat, whether you are in the sun or not. It is more obvious in folks like us, with fair skin.

Just part of the process, so don't give it a second thought. But don't let the extra "stress" of the run allow you to cut these runs short. The longer these runs in the heat last, the quicker your plasma percentage will increase.

That's actually very interesting BuckeyeBama! I love reading about stuff like this.

I'm looking forward to running earlier in the day next weekend. That will be better for me in general.

I've loved following your thread. I'm so glad you did this!

One thing to consider, treadmill times are often faster than outdoor runs. Under 10min pace is really pretty ambitious (at least for me, but you're also taller than me and a dancer so you might just be in better shape). That might be your natural pace, but don't feel afraid to slow it down some.

I've been working my 5k base. I've got a pretty decent one built up by now and am ready to start building up my 10k, but I completely threw myself off schedule with some cross training that I immediately realized I had done too many squats. Oh my god I can barely walk! I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow. I find following the various Disney Instagram threads keep me motivated.

If you ever get tired of listening to music give this a try http://www.missedinhistory.com/blog/missed-in-history-haunted-mansion-part-1/
Its a great story. The Haunted Manson is my favorite!

I haven't tried listening to podcasts instead of music yet but I think I will for my run tomorrow with that haunted mansion link boxlessthoughts posted!!
Tomorrow I delve into 8 minute segments and this weekend I run 20 min straight so I have a funny feeling that pace will be a little different everyday as my body gets used to not as many walking breaks. I'll just try to run comfortably and not kill myself!

Yeah, pacing is super super hard. All the boards I read on running always get back to "if you're uncomfortable, you're running too fast". It's the best advice I've ever gotten.

When I did the half marathon training I found listening to music all the time got a tiresome sometimes. You end up spending a LOT of time doing it and I got through Doctor Who audio plays like you wouldn't believe. It's not for everyone, but I think it works well if it's something you can zone out from and then still come back too. I can't do serious audiobooks, but podcasts are great. Plus, I think you'll love this. It's a 2 parter!

Ohhhh, I just discovered how you make those signatures.
Are you guys staying at the Contemporary? Did you know that's where Nixon said "I am not a Crook"? That's my favorite thing I know.

Ohhhh, I just discovered how you make those signatures.
Are you guys staying at the Contemporary? Did you know that's where Nixon said "I am not a Crook"? That's my favorite thing I know.

I didn't know that! (I've failed in Disney fandom)
We are staying at the BayLake Tower right next to Contemporary. In a 2 bedroom villa with the in laws. So kitchen and living room!!!
Any idea where you want to stay yet? Keep us posted.

I didn't know that! (I've failed in Disney fandom)
We are staying at the BayLake Tower right next to Contemporary. In a 2 bedroom villa with the in laws. So kitchen and living room!!!
Any idea where you want to stay yet? Keep us posted.

Sounds amazing. Haven't booked anything yet. I was thinking of doing the Contemporary or something with Monorail access race day, but my mom and her husband get military discounts so we were thinking of booking something together. I really need to get on that.

Well I have made it through "week 5 day 2" and that is the official halfway point of my C25K program...feeling pretty good about that. But that means all the long runs are ahead of me now. My next workout will be the first with no walking intervals at all. But here's what I did last night.

5 min warmup walk, 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog, 5 min cooldown walk.
And it went GREAT! Shocked and happily surprised.
I did two things differently for this run and I think both worked out well.
1) I listened to the Haunted Mansion part 1 podcast that boxlessthoughts posted above. I was skeptical at being able to pay attention while running but figured why not at least give it a try. I could always switch to music if it wasn't something I liked. But I found it was perfect for the longer jog intervals and here is why. When I listen to music my brain knows a song is going to be about 2.5-3 minutes in length. So when a new song comes on my mind is thinking "ok I have to get through this song...ok I have to get through this next song...ok I have to get through this next song...and now I can walk." With the podcast there was no time associated with it. So I just listened. The one thing I kind of missed was the driving beat of pop music that kind of propels me forward...but this brings me to my thing #2.
2) I slowed down a little bit...but felt strong the whole time. Since I've moved past 3 minute short interval jogs in my program...I am not really treating them as "sprints" like I was previously. So I took some advise again from boxlessthoughts and slowed my roll a little. I ran the whole time at a 5.5 speed on the treadmill, except the last minute of each run I amped it up to a 6. No driving music beat kind of kept me from going bananas. Oh, I was definitely getting a sweat going though, but I wasn't killing myself to try to beat my distance. I only ran 2.43 miles last night but they felt really really really good. Comfortable but not too easy.

I've been reading a bunch of Keels posts about trying to get the distance and not the time. And I think maybe that should be my mind-set. My C25k app is so time-focused right now. I get too hung up on how far can I go in one half hour. If I'm nearing the 25 minute mark and I've only gone 2.0 miles I start really pushing to add on that .5 or .7 miles more before the clock runs out. In all honestly I have gas in the tank to walk or run 5-10 more minutes anyways once that clock runs out...I just haven't been because I'm sticking with my app. Once my endurance is built up better and I finish my program, I'll probably just try to focus on "today I will run X miles" and just see how long it takes me...instead of the other way around.

So I guess that was a lot to take from one Wed night treadmill workout. Haha

My next workout is going to be warmup walk 5 min, 20 MINUTE JOG!, 5 min cooldown walk. Will try to listen to part 2 of the haunted mansion podcast.
I can choose to run that on the treadmill on Friday. Or try to take it outside on Saturday. Looking for votes on which I should do.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter