Rough seas out of NYC

Ronneeaght

Mouseketeer
Can anyone just off the Magic reassure me that the seas were unusually rough coming home from Bermuda? I understand the choppiness the first night with the bomb cyclone, but yesterday - especially last night - had me thinking I might never cruise again. Doesn't make sense to spend so much money just to be curled up on bed feeling miserable for the bulk of the trip.

ETA: I felt fine the first sea day.

I just got off the same cruise and I believe the captain mentioned it was due to a tropical storm moving north from the gulf. I agree, it was very rough. My mom couldn’t go to dinner last night and neither did our table mates. I also saw a lot of people leaving dinner early. I have felt like I’m still on the ship all day. All things considered, I’d still cruise this time of year, but I really do think it was due to that storm (and maybe generally rougher seas this time of year?).

I was on DVC Member Cruise October 5-12 and we had unusually rough seas coming home from
Bermuda, skipped Boston and our bad seas were from what was called Melissa. It’s been rough waters in the NE Coast this October.

Someone elsewhere said that by evening we were getting 18 ft waves and wind in the same direction which made it worse. But it was one of the rougher sea days I have had. But I wouldn’t give up on cruising because of that. Just come prepared, I start bonine before the cruise and take it nightly for the entire cruise. It helps on and off the boat for me (I get landsickness).

After hundreds of days at sea on cruise ships of all sizes, I can reassure you that most (maybe 90-95%) days, the sea was as smooth as can be and you barely noticed you were on water. When the wind picks up, or when the ship goes full throttle, any ship, anywhere in the world, will be uncomfortable for a lot of passengers. You might have encountered both, since the captain has a lot of sea to cover on the last night of that cruise, and they usually want to get to port as soon as possible to help with turnaround.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!!

I just got off the same cruise and I believe the captain mentioned it was due to a tropical storm moving north from the gulf. I agree, it was very rough. My mom couldn’t go to dinner last night and neither did our table mates. I also saw a lot of people leaving dinner early. I have felt like I’m still on the ship all day. All things considered, I’d still cruise this time of year, but I really do think it was due to that storm (and maybe generally rougher seas this time of year?).
I was one of those leaving dinner early. You know, this is going to sound colossally stupid, but I didn't consider that the seas would be rougher this time of year. I just figured we'd have the risk of being rerouted and I'm flexible and would have been happy going pretty much anywhere. I really really liked the convenience of sailing out of NY. Adding one more voice to the "maybe when the new ships come" chorus and hoping for spring/early summer sailings from Baltimore or points north.

Someone elsewhere said that by evening we were getting 18 ft waves and wind in the same direction which made it worse. But it was one of the rougher sea days I have had. But I wouldn’t give up on cruising because of that. Just come prepared, I start bonine before the cruise and take it nightly for the entire cruise. It helps on and off the boat for me (I get landsickness).

Definitely feeling the landsickness today!! I did take Bonine the first night, and it helped, and the last night, and maybe I would have felt worse without it? I was too sick for dinner or the show, though 😟. This was my first DCL cruise, and I was so impressed! Maybe I need to just investigate smoother itineraries.

I was one of those leaving dinner early. You know, this is going to sound colossally stupid, but I didn't consider that the seas would be rougher this time of year. I just figured we'd have the risk of being rerouted and I'm flexible and would have been happy going pretty much anywhere. I really really liked the convenience of sailing out of NY. Adding one more voice to the "maybe when the new ships come" chorus and hoping for spring/early summer sailings from Baltimore or points north.

Definitely feeling the landsickness today!! I did take Bonine the first night, and it helped, and the last night, and maybe I would have felt worse without it? I was too sick for dinner or the show, though 😟. This was my first DCL cruise, and I was so impressed! Maybe I need to just investigate smoother itineraries.

If you are still feeling sick take some Bonine tonight and tomorrow. I always have to take it for a few days after every cruise. I often feel queasy on first night of any cruise, crossing the gulf stream always makes me feel ill. I got some ginger candy for our last cruise and took some anytime I started to feel sick, it helped a lot!! If you cruise again, you might want to get some. I ordered some from Amazon, just make sure it has real ginger in it, not just flavoring.

I was one of those leaving dinner early. You know, this is going to sound colossally stupid, but I didn't consider that the seas would be rougher this time of year. I just figured we'd have the risk of being rerouted and I'm flexible and would have been happy going pretty much anywhere. I really really liked the convenience of sailing out of NY. Adding one more voice to the "maybe when the new ships come" chorus and hoping for spring/early summer sailings from Baltimore or

Nope not stupid! I wasn’t really anticipating it being that rough either. I hope they sail from Baltimore one day as I’m about a 35 min drive from the port! But a 2.5 hour train ride to NYC was also pretty easy :)

Bermuda is one of those itineraries that is known for having rough seas. We felt rough seas the night we left New York and the night we came back to New York (so first and last nights). It is similar to the first night leaving Port Canaveral. However, the roughest seas I have ever felt have been in the Bahamas where I swear I thought I was going to be flung out of my bed. As a PP said, you'll probably have smooth seas 90% of the time; it's that other 10% you have to worry about. Does it stop me from cruising? No. I do, however, avoid itineraries that have numerous sea days in a row and/or sail areas that are known to be rough, e.g. North Sea or Iceland route. I did sail Bermuda, despite its reputation for being rough, because I knew it was only 1.5 days in a row at sea and I can handle anything for that length. But the trans-Atlantic right before us had 6 sea days in a row, I believe, with reports of 20+ foot waves and 50 MPH winds - now that is where I'd be miserable, because there's no close end in sight, and you have no choice but to ride it out.

Bermuda is one of those itineraries that is known for having rough seas. We felt rough seas the night we left New York and the night we came back to New York (so first and last nights). It is similar to the first night leaving Port Canaveral. However, the roughest seas I have ever felt have been in the Bahamas where I swear I thought I was going to be flung out of my bed. As a PP said, you'll probably have smooth seas 90% of the time; it's that other 10% you have to worry about. Does it stop me from cruising? No. I do, however, avoid itineraries that have numerous sea days in a row and/or sail areas that are known to be rough, e.g. North Sea or Iceland route. I did sail Bermuda, despite its reputation for being rough, because I knew it was only 1.5 days in a row at sea and I can handle anything for that length. But the trans-Atlantic right before us had 6 sea days in a row, I believe, with reports of 20+ foot waves and 50 MPH winds - now that is where I'd be miserable, because there's no close end in sight, and you have no choice but to ride it out.

I was on the trans-Atlantic cruise. It certainly was interesting on several days. They closed the pool and outdoor areas at times because of the winds. We were very happy to see land after all those sea days.

I had clients on the 10/17 Bermuda cruise and they confirmed unusually rough seas coming back into New York. I agree the lateness of the season definitely had an effect.

However, the roughest seas I have ever felt have been in the Bahamas where I swear I thought I was going to be flung out of my bed.

I also had a REALLY bad night back to PC one year; swaying and rocking - the closet doors constantly opening and closing. I honestly thought we were going to flip over and didn't sleep a wink. It was the last night and all I could think (aside from thinking we were goners!) was we're almost back at port...we're almost back.

We just got back from Bermuda, and we were on Bonine from a day before we left till a day after. You take it at night and it helps you sleep....and it worked...but you must take it daily...it does take a while to get into your system..well worth it

Just off this cruise as well. Yes, I thought it was unusually rough seas. I heard even some crew was affected. We take sea sickness meds at night starting a few days pre cruise and were fine. But when the winds really kicked up we found it a little too rough to be on the top deck.

My plan had been the Bonine at night thing, but when I started it a few days before the cruise I felt so muzzy-headed the next day that I stopped. Maybe I should start with half a tablet and work my way up 😴

I found Bonine doesn’t work as well as Dramamine does for me. I felt good and even enjoyed my meals on our last sea day going back to NY last year when we had a lot of rocking going on. The family pool looked like a wave pool splashing up really high back and forth in the pool. We watched as they tried covering the pool. Poor maintenance men were drenched. The wind was so bad the pool chairs were blowing around and that lifeguard kept trying to put them back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter