RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should not have said 8am if they didn't plan on doing it at 8am.
Completely agree. I was through the gates by 7:45 this morning, and by the time the app registered me as being in the park, all boarding groups were gone — five minutes before the 8am time we had all been given. I’d understand if we hadn’t been given a specific time for sign ups to begin, but when you see multiple signs, tweets, etc. giving the start time, I feel like it’s understandable to be disappointed. 😔

How has the ride been on downtime today? About to head up there and try to ride it one last time for the weekend.

One thing clear from today, in my opinion.... AM Extra Magic Hours and the Virtual Queue are two concepts that do not go well together. Or at the very least it's a scheduling nuance that needs more thought / communication from Disney with just how things will happen (and then they should stick to it).

I've said before that I really hope that SWGE ultimately ushers in the return of regularly-scheduled PM EMHs to DHS. While easy for me to say sitting here as an armchair park ops expert, it seems like switching currently scheduled AM EMHs to PM EMHs would be a good solution on an interim basis until things settle down - if the intent is to continue to use the VQ on a daily basis.

Just too many issues with AM EMHs... the volume of people already in the park... off site folks kind of in the park but not fully... more problems than solutions, unfortunately. Scrap the whole thing and make them PM EMHs, problem solved.

giphy.gif

I hope those PM EMH return too. I wonder if it isn't reliable enough to handle it yet, as the last thing I'm sure they want would be to extend the hours specifically to alleviate some of the pressure on ROTR during the day only to have it not running during EMH anyways, and then they're stuck having to keep a park open without charging people more for it ;).

I agree with you though, the two concepts don't mesh well. I think it's best when the VQ is up and running as soon as people tap in so there's no guessing and there's no "cutting" in line (I know it isn't really cutting, but it feels a bit like it) when people who arrived much later are able to snag a BG first.

My thoughts about EMH ‘s and boarding groups ... you should plan on being in the park a good 60minutes prior to the announced boarding group time.
You need time to get through the gate and for your phone to register.
Today was a perfect example of how many more people are in the park and how quickly the passes go

One thing clear from today, in my opinion.... AM Extra Magic Hours and the Virtual Queue are two concepts that do not go well together. Or at the very least it's a scheduling nuance that needs more thought / communication from Disney with just how things will happen (and then they should stick to it).

I've said before that I really hope that SWGE ultimately ushers in the return of regularly-scheduled PM EMHs to DHS. While easy for me to say sitting here as an armchair park ops expert, it seems like switching currently scheduled AM EMHs to PM EMHs would be a good solution on an interim basis until things settle down - if the intent is to continue to use the VQ on a daily basis.

Just too many issues with AM EMHs... the volume of people already in the park... off site folks kind of in the park but not fully... more problems than solutions, unfortunately. Scrap the whole thing and make them PM EMHs, problem solved.

giphy.gif
I think they could do AM EMH along with the Virtual Queue if they just allowed EMH to ride standby. Turn on the BG's once official park open starts.

My thoughts about EMH ‘s and boarding groups ... you should plan on being in the park a good 60minutes prior to the announced boarding group time.
You need time to get through the gate and for your phone to register.
Today was a perfect example of how many more people are in the park and how quickly the passes go
Well that would have worked perfectly today since it was supposed to open at 8am. Except we have no idea going forward, what time they will announce it will open and what time it will actually open. And getting there is only part of the equation, since you need to be constantly refreshing once you enter.

Completely agree. I was through the gates by 7:45 this morning, and by the time the app registered me as being in the park, all boarding groups were gone — five minutes before the 8am time we had all been given. I’d understand if we hadn’t been given a specific time for sign ups to begin, but when you see multiple signs, tweets, etc. giving the start time, I feel like it’s understandable to be disappointed. 😔
Yeah, that sucks. I would have done the samething. I don't know enough about Disney so I would have assumed a company that big would go by the time they mentioned give or take a few minutes.

EMH will problematic either morning or evening, unless you just decide to leave ROTR out completely. Right now the ride is not reliable enough to get through a day without breaking down. At the end of the day you'd have BG from that morning not done and onsite guests pissed that they couldn't queue up in the standby line. There really is no solution that works well for everyone. The only thing that would help at this point is to run the ride/park from 6am to midnight everyday. Then the problem lies in necessary maintenance for the ride.
The issues we now will continue at least until MMRR opens next year and they get ROTR running reliably at 100% capacity.

But that's no different than FOP has been. At least with BG's people arriving after EMH wouldn't have to actually stand in the line the whole time.

I'd be totally okay with onsite guests getting an advantage one day of the week even if it puts offsite guests at a disadvantage. Like you said this does happen already on a smaller scale at all the other popular attractions when there is morning EMH (or morning paid events).

If they were still doing every day EEMH I would feel differently, but as of now until it gets on FP Disney resort guests have no real advantage when it comes to ROTR so it would make sense to give them something.

Another random thought, (and a big knock on wood).... but it does seem like the technology behind the boarding groups/the app is proving to provide a solid guest experience so far. I haven't really seen any big/material complaints about the technology itself, to my knowledge?

Who knows if it could have handled an 8am attack, but generally speaking the thing seems to work well and handle the stress it has faced the last few days, at least from my far away vantage point.

Another random thought, (and a big knock on wood).... but it does seem like the technology behind the boarding groups/the app is proving to provide a solid guest experience so far. I haven't really seen any big/material complaints about the technology itself, to my knowledge?

Who knows if it could have handled an 8am attack, but generally speaking the thing seems to work well and handle the stress it has faced the last few days, at least from my far away vantage point.

I think this mornings communication issues aside, Disney has done a fantastic job with this opening and that is almost completely due to their decision to use the VQ and how well it's worked.

I really hope they learn from this, keep improving upon it, and keep it around for the hyped up attractions that are set to open in the next couple years.

But that's no different than FOP has been. At least with BG's people arriving after EMH wouldn't have to actually stand in the line the whole time.
🤔 interesting idea. So you’re saying during EMHs People would wait in a legit line then boarding groups would only get called once the physical line cleared? I don’t think I’d mind the idea although there’s no way Disney is looking to do that imo.

Wow, several minutes! Really gave on site guests an advantage, didn't it?
I assume this is sarcasm. Interestingly enough though, several minutes was the equivalent of a huge advantage. Boarding groups filled in 37 minutes today so a 5 minute head start for EMH guests equated to 13% of the total time spots were available.

That would be the equivalent of a 90 minute head start on a 12 hour operating day (in a very strange comparison).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter