Rose and Crown or Marrakesh?

chrismom3

I want to live on Main Street!
Added another Epcot day to our schedule and can't decide between Rose and Crown or Marrakesh. We've eaten at most of the other restaurants there but not at either of these. Any recommendations?

Well... do you want fake British pub with beer and fish and chips or fake Morrocan with tangines and belly dancers?

I think Marrakhesh is better value for the money (better portions for splitting). It's also generally less crowded. But in no way are the two comparable- it's very subjective.

However, if you like Moroccan and get it on a regular basis; you may be disappointed. It's good but very Americanized. If you like fish and chips and beer, rose and crown compares favorably to pubs elsewhere.

Added another Epcot day to our schedule and can't decide between Rose and Crown or Marrakesh. We've eaten at most of the other restaurants there but not at either of these. Any recommendations?

We have not eaten at Marrakesh but have eaten at Rose & Crown several times. My favs are the Coronation Salad (love this salad) and the Fish and Chips. The Chicken Masala Curry was good as well but just not my "taste" - we found the salmon to be a bit dry.
Feel free to check out my photos from some of our visits.

Rose & Crown Photos

I like R&C. The Fish and Chips are some of the best I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a bunch of fish and chips (and have a waistline to prove it) :D

The Bangers and Mash there is also really good. The UK Cheese Platter is also really good; the Stilton cheese is AMAZING! When we found that same cheese at the Wishes Dessert party a few days later, we were contemplating taking the entire platter.

Just give me a plate of Fish and Chips, a side of mushy peas and a Black & Tan, a bottle of malt vinegar and HP sauce, and I'm not leaving, ever.

Don't order the curry, it's really underseasoned. My dish also had crunchy rice and naan which almost chipped a tooth! I think the starches got hard because the dish is so rarely ordered. I think it could be dropped, and no one would really cry about it.

However, if you like Moroccan and get it on a regular basis; you may be disappointed.

You scare me, now, because there's a restaurant in Philly, also called Marrakesh, which has some really good food. $25 per person, 7 course meal.

I have eaten at both. Rose & Crown is good for British food. Marrakesh is good for Moroccan food. I prefer the higher flavors of Moroccan food, so if I were you I would go for Marrakesh. But I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Marrakesh is a fav. Most entrees can easily be split. I enjoy the (hot) Mint Tea service and Roast Lamb Meshoui. The decor is incredible and not to be missed. Even if you opt for R&C, pop your head in to check out Marrakesh and read the letters from President Washington to Morocco.

It's been a while, but I've eaten R&C several times, and have never had a bad meal. Actually, my ex, who hated Disney and would only go if we made Le Cellier reservations, decided he liked R&C's steak better. Of course this has been about a decade ago.

I've never been to Marrakesh, but my husband has, and he loves it. We are going to both restaurants when we go in September

Rose and Crown. We have a lot of good Moroccan restaurants back home and Marrakesh is just very bland in comparison.

You can't go wrong either way but I think Marrakesh might be more fun if you don't normally eat at restaurants like that. It's exotic and unusual for most of us ordinary, suburban folks who don't happen to have Moroccan food right down the street. You can get your fish and chips fix at Yorkshire Co Fish Shoppe.

Marrakesh isn't great, but at least it's something different for most people. Rose and Crown is fun, but it's safe and boring.

Surely you don't expect truly authentic
Well... do you want fake British pub with beer and fish and chips or fake Morrocan with tangines and belly dancers?
You don't expect truly authentic food anywhere at Epcot do you. Nothing against Americans (we are you loving neighbour to the north), but most people want Americanized versions of food. Heck, the countries at Epcot are just that. I'll admit when I go to a Chinese Restaurant in Toronto I want "Canadianized" versions of Chinese food. Marrakesh is probably easier to get into because Rose and Crown has good viewing for Illuminations.

Surely you don't expect truly authentic

You don't expect truly authentic food anywhere at Epcot do you. Nothing against Americans (we are you loving neighbour to the north), but most people want Americanized versions of food. Heck, the countries at Epcot are just that. I'll admit when I go to a Chinese Restaurant in Toronto I want "Canadianized" versions of Chinese food. Marrakesh is probably easier to get into because Rose and Crown has good viewing for Illuminations.

I don't but neither did I expect it to be that dumbed down. I don't mind Americanized food. I'm not comparing it to Morrocan food I've eaten in say Paris. I'm comparing to the other "ethnic" food in Epcot. Tokyo actually manages to be unexpectedly good. Marrakesh? If they dumbed down the menu any further, it would be the equivalent of Panda Express and they might as well make it counter service.

I guess what throws me off is let's say you were to strip away all preconceived expectations of culture. Actual morrocan food would be more attractive to Americans than sushi. I mean from the standpoint of flavors and what it actually is. My parents are (hilariously) the stereotypical Americans you're talking about. I mean they are so stereotypical that if I didn't know them I'd probably disagree with your stereotype. They will try (and enjoy) Moroccan food as long as I don't tell them it's morrocan food. Because the flavors suit their Americanized palate. But fish and rice? Nope. Doesn't appeal. Too "plain".

So I certainly expected Tokyo to be more Americanized and Marrakesh to be less so, and instead it was the other way around. They could have at least made it more of a fusion place. I like fusion- at least it tends to be interesting. As someone else said- it's not bad food it's just so very bland.

I don't actually think RC is harder to get into, unless it's near illuminations. It's just that the lay out makes it feel more crowded and cramped- marrakhesh is a huge room. But it probably also has to do with the middle American factor you're talking about. Fish and chips and beer are "comfort" foods. If you're with picky eaters I think you're way less likely to try something they perceive as foreign.

Having eaten at both, I'd choose Rose & Crown easily. We really enjoyed our experience there. Marrakesh service is really good but we thought the food was bland and all really looked the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter