Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

Updated 8/8
This covers both a Early Entry (EE) and Non-EE plan. Be aware that this comes from a first day EE visit.

Disneyland:
Fantasyland Plan (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Peter Pan your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, but keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride will be Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo next as park is about to open.
8am-820am: Next Snow White, then Mr. Toad now Pinocchio.
820am-9am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, ride Indiana Jones Adventure without LL.
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
9am-945am: Ride Pirates and then the Haunted Mansion.
945am-1015am: Ride Splash Mountain without LL. Ride Winnie the Pooh.
After 10am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.
REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

Fantasyland Plan (without Early Entry)

730am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. There is a left, middle, and right of the hub rope area. I usually choose the Tomorrowland side as the Frontierland side can be crowded due to guests going to Rise of the Resistance.
Note: While at Rope Drop purchase your Genie+, but keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-815am: Once the rope drops walk to the right side of the castle and follow the path towards the Matterhorn but stay to your left and ride Alice in Wonderland first.
815am-835am: Second ride will be Dumbo, then Mr. Toad, finally choose between Snow White or Pinocchio. GOAL is to be out of Fantasyland before 835am.
835am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, then Haunted Mansion.
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
After 10am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.
REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Space Mountain your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, but keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride is kind of up to you. I would recommend Astro Orbitor, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Alice in Wonderland or Dumbo. The GOAL is to be move to the Matterhorn by park opening
8am-815am: Park opens ride the Matterhorn, can even do it twice on both sides if available.
815am-835am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure
835am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, then Haunted Mansion.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (without Early Entry)
Space Mountain first (RECOMMENDED)

Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Tomorrowland Entrance.
Note: Once settled near the rope, purchase Genie+ on the Disneyland App. No need to get a Lightning Lane at this time. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-820am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Tomorrowland to Space Mountain.
815am-830am: Next ride the Matterhorn.
830am-9am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure.
9am-10am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and then Splash Mountain.
Note: REMEMBER to keep an eye on that Rise of the Resistance ILL return time, again you want a return time after 11am.

Indiana Jones Adventure first
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Adventureland Entrance.
Note: Once settled near the rope, purchase Genie+ on the Disneyland App. No need to get a Lightning Lane at this time. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-815am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Adventureland to the Indiana Jones Adventure.
815am-830am: Next ride Big Thunder Mountain.
830am-930am: Ride the Matterhorn and then Space Mountain.
Note: Space Mountain will probably have a 30-40 minute wait
Note2: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 10am.

930am-10am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean and then Splash Mountain.
Note: REMEMBER to keep an eye on that Rise of the Resistance ILL return time, again you want a return time after 11am (aka after lunch)

Lightning Lane Tiers
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Space Mountain
- Matterhorn
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Haunted Mansion
- Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run (try to get a LL return time around the same time as your ROTR ILL return time)
- Star Tours
- Autopia
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- It's a Small World

SPECIAL NOTE about the plans above

- This plan also works if you arrive after ROPE DROP. For example, say you arrive at Disneyland just before 850am. Skip everything listed before 9am and start at what is listed for 9am. So that would be the Jungle Cruise and Pirates.

Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
This works on Android and iPhone (iOS)

- Select the circle + at the bottom navigation bar
- Select View Genie Day and Tip Board
- Select Tip Board at the Top of the Screen
- Select Edit Selections to the LL or ILL Attraction you want most. For example, I select the ILL (say Rise) and the top 2 LL attractions I want to experience. This way those LL and ILL selections are at the top of the Tip Board screen. As I start to either buy ILL or use LL, I will remove the attraction from the Edit Selection and add another LL attraction. You are basically trying to keep your LL at the top of the Tip Board so you do not have to scroll down.
- If a LL or ILL return time does not meet the earlier time you need or want, PULL DOWN on this screen to refresh.
- HOWEVER, if a ILL is sold out, it is RARE that you will see it come back at all.
Example LL Refresh Trick Scenario
- Got a Indiana Jones LL for 1pm-2pm, was ready to get in line at 1pm.
- The next LL attractions that interested me were Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and Space Mountain (top priority). So I put those two at the top of the Tip Board via Edit Selections.
- I scanned the Indiana Jones LL and went to the app for my next LL. Buzz was an hour out, Space was two hours out.
- I refreshed multiple times to see if I can get an earlier time. After the 6th refresh, Buzz came down to 130pm, Space was still two hours away, So I went with Buzz.
- I get off Indiana Jones, go to Buzz and scan my LL in.
- Now I remove Buzz from my Edit Selections and add the Star Tours with Space.
- I refresh a few time and now Space is at 2pm and Star Tours is ride now. I select Space.
and then remove it from my Edit Selections.
- As soon as I scan LL for Space I get Star Tours which is a ride now. Get off Space, go to Star Tours.
PLEASE be sure to CANCEL any LLs you may not be using as it may help other guests that are doing the LL refresh trick.

Rise of the Resistance Stand By

- The Stand By line for this attraction does lower and rise throughout the day. The issue is when guests see that the line at 60 minutes or less they head to the attraction which will raise the wait time. So the trick and with a bit of luck it is better to get in line for the attraction when it is slightly higher than 60 minutes. I have done this attraction twice at a posted 75 or 70 minute wait time and the wait was 60-50 minutes.
- My go to time is after 6pm, as people are having dinner and have already ridden the attraction. The issue here is that the attraction closes around 8pm or 9pm. If the ride breaks down, they may force you out of the line and close the attraction for the day.

Park Opening Attraction Closures
Wait times and temp closures do not show up until park opening, but can be delayed as you may see a - instead of a time or temp closure text.
However, most of the time, if there is a park opening closure it is due to the attraction not being signed off on time of the park opening. If you see the vehicles cycling, it may be best to stay near the attraction and wait for it to open up.
For example, you get to Peter Pan and the CM says that it is closed and they do not know when it will be open. Yet you see that the vehicles are cycling through. Ignore the CM and stay near the entrance of the queue. Give it 5-10 minutes (the time you would have probably waited anyways) and see if the line opens up. 90% of the time it will open up rather quickly
so whats the plan for Matterhorn on the Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (with Early Entry) plan now thats its under refurb?

Saw a video this morning of early entry for Fantasyland. It certainly looked as if you could start with PP and do all five dark rides before the hordes descend.
You can easily for dark rides. Just make sure first is Pan, second Alice, then Snow. After that Toad and Pinn, up to you.

Updated DCA Plan 8/9 based on Early Entry.
THERE IS NO EE entrance
MAKE SURE that if you are attending EE that you show up to the main entrances early.
They are letting both EE hotel guests and Normal guests into the park at the same time.
If you arrive late you are going to be far back in line. Ruining your 30 minutes of EE time.

See videos below of how empty it is currently for EE. FYI his attraction strategy is not the greatest.

Last edited:
Thanks again for this...

So for EE with Genie + and Park Hopping, do we just use your Park Hopping plan in post #3 of this thread (but adjust the times forward by half an hour to allow for early entry)?

Thanks again for this...

So for EE with Genie + and Park Hopping, do we just use your Park Hopping plan in post #3 of this thread (but adjust the times forward by half an hour to allow for early entry)?
correct, just follow the order.

UPDATE 8/10 Disneyland
The amount of EE guests at all attractions is quite low at the official park opening.
So if you are not a EE guest and you are close to the rope, you should be able to still get on Pan rather quickly.
Same goes with a non-EE guest and Space Mountain as the first attraction.

If non-EE guests are far back from rope then follow the plans listed.

How are they handling people who want to queue for RSR or Rise during EE? Since RSR was closed during the video at park opening I couldn’t tell.

How are they handling people who want to queue for RSR or Rise during EE? Since RSR was closed during the video at park opening I couldn’t tell.

From what I can tell from several insta stories, they seem to have a holding area off to the side where they are allowing people to queue for RSR before regular rope droppers.

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm heading to DLR and DCA soon. My family is staying at DLH. We plan to use EE. I was thinking that if we rode attractions in Fantasyland, would it make sense for EE folks to queue at or near the Big Thunder Trail that abuts Fantasyland (i.e. Red Rose Tavern and Casey Junior area) to head towards GE and RISE.

We tried this on Monday. There is a gate that was closed just past RRT so you can't get very far towards Star Wars land. We attempted SM but it was down, then did SW and then PP and were about 2 minutes after 8:00 getting to the gate (which I assumed had been opened at 8:00). It was not a crowded walk much of the way to Rise, but once we encountered the people coming in from the other ways it was madness. Not sure if we would have beaten them if we had been at the gate at 8:00. When we got there it was a 40 minute wait, again probably would have been shorter if we had been at the Fantasy Land gate right at 8:00. Then, of course, the ride broke down and we spent an extra 40 minutes waiting. It did come back up so we were glad we waited, we were in the inside part so had seats and air-conditioning, so it was better than waiting again in the afternoon, as much of that like is in the hot sun.

Following along to see peoples' experiences. I will be soloing this weekend (Sat from 10 am-ish to Monday at noon-ish and wondering how EE is impacting rope drop.

Rise EE update after talking with Plaid CM and Casey Jr CM.
There is a"rope drop" entrance to GE and Rise over by Casey Jr.

You don't have to line up near the Frontierlland entrance.

Which means you should be able to get to Rise first.

Saw this image on twitter. EE people lining up to get Rise when park opens.
6A63597C-F85B-491D-91C0-C4F2C586C4EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Rise EE update after talking with Plaid CM and Casey Jr CM.
There is a"rope drop" entrance to GE and Rise over by Casey Jr.

You don't have to line up near the Frontierlland entrance.

Which means you should be able to get to Rise first.
Best to line up there right at 7:30 AM or do you think you could ride PP then SM and still get there in time to be towards the front?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter