Rope Drop Ceremony at MK

monica9

DIS Veteran
Do they still do the ceremony with the characters coming in on the train?

If so, how are they doing it now that the railroad is down?

Do they still do the ceremony with the characters coming in on the train?

If so, how are they doing it now that the railroad is down?
They haven't done that for a long time. Main Street is open about an hour before opening and Opening Show is at castle main stage.

Its not as fun as the characters on the train IMHO, but its not a bad show.
As mentioned, they changed this (my guess) so the crowds can go do Mainstreet an hour before the park opens. Conveniently, the shops are open.
Just pick the side you want to head to when the park opens. As soon as the opening show is over, they open the lands. This spring, they had CMs walking the crowds into each land as best they could.

I had no idea they "moved" RD. So, for a 9am opening what time do you need to arrive? Is anything open on Main Street prior to the ceremony? (Haven't been to Dw in three years but in the planning process now). I confess, I liked the train opening.

They haven't done that for a long time. Main Street is open about an hour before opening and Opening Show is at castle main stage.
that's what I thought. My sister says she saw the train ceremony a few years back when she went. Must've been a few more years than she remembers

The train is still not running for Tron construction and refurbishment.

Anyway the train show *was* really great, just seemed to fit.

that's what I thought. My sister says she saw the train ceremony a few years back when she went. Must've been a few more years than she remembers
They were still doing it when I went in 2015 with my mom--I was about to say "that's just a few years" and then realized it was four. It's been four years. Maybe less since I don't know how long after that they stopped doing it. Mostly, though, I'm having one of those moments where you feel old because four years doesn't feel like much.

The loss of the train show makes me a little sad since it was such an iconic start to the day, but moving the welcome show up to the castle seems like a very practical solution to crowd control issues I'd observed back in 2015. With security stations dispersed a bit from the front area now (security before you get on the monorail, etc.) you wouldn't have quite the pileup you did back in 2015, but that whole security/gates/train area was a bit awkward as a holding area and the capacity was much more limited than Main Street.

How does the RD show work with EMH then? How do cast members manage the folks who are allowed into the lands because official park opening vs. those are aren't resort guests?

1. How does the RD show work with EMH then?
2. How do cast members manage the folks who are allowed into the lands because official park opening vs. those are aren't resort guests?
1. They let guests enter starting about 10-15 mins. before AM EMH begins.
2. They screen guest's entry cards or MagicBands to see if they are on-site guests.
This is/can be done outside the MK gates, and/or at the Hub entrances/bridges to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.
ALSO, on AM EMH days, guests parking at TTC also tend to be "held" at TTC (restricted/delayed runs of monorails and ferry boats) until closer to "regular hours open time" as MOST guests parking for MK are not WDW resort guests.
Good choice on AM EMH days is to arrive via Disney buses from WDW resorts.
(Of course Resort Monorail will be running early, as well.)

Last edited:
They were still doing it when I went in 2015 with my mom--I was about to say "that's just a few years" and then realized it was four. It's been four years. Maybe less since I don't know how long after that they stopped doing it. Mostly, though, I'm having one of those moments where you feel old because four years doesn't feel like much.

The loss of the train show makes me a little sad since it was such an iconic start to the day, but moving the welcome show up to the castle seems like a very practical solution to crowd control issues I'd observed back in 2015. With security stations dispersed a bit from the front area now (security before you get on the monorail, etc.) you wouldn't have quite the pileup you did back in 2015, but that whole security/gates/train area was a bit awkward as a holding area and the capacity was much more limited than Main Street.
yes! That's when she went. she went as part of her honeymoon which was 2015

I had no idea they "moved" RD. So, for a 9am opening what time do you need to arrive? Is anything open on Main Street prior to the ceremony? (Haven't been to Dw in three years but in the planning process now). I confess, I liked the train opening.

For a 9am park opening, they'll open the front gates 7:45'ish-8am. You are free to roam Main Street up to the Hub/Castle (the Hub "spokes" are blocked). The Main Street Bakery (Starbucks) is open, the Emporium is open, Main Street Vehicles are often (although not always) out, PhotoPass photographers line Main Street. The welcome show will be on the castle stage at 8:55am.

In my opinion the extended "loading" time into the park gives one a lot of flexibility in just how to approach rope drop. Unless you are trying to be first to 7DMT, you can pretty much time arriving to the MK whatever suits you. We like to get there 8'ish and just chill/relax for the hour, grab a coffee, etc. People will congregate around the Hub spokes, particularly the one heading towards Tea Cups for 7DMT... but we just tend to sit back, enjoy the opening show, and be mid/back of those that do hug the spokes. It is often a pretty easy experience, so I wouldn't stress too much.

For a 9am park opening, they'll open the front gates 7:45'ish-8am. You are free to roam Main Street up to the Hub/Castle (the Hub "spokes" are blocked). The Main Street Bakery (Starbucks) is open, the Emporium is open, Main Street Vehicles are often (although not always) out, PhotoPass photographers line Main Street. The welcome show will be on the castle stage at 8:55am.

In my opinion the extended "loading" time into the park gives one a lot of flexibility in just how to approach rope drop. Unless you are trying to be first to 7DMT, you can pretty much time arriving to the MK whatever suits you. We like to get there 8'ish and just chill/relax for the hour, grab a coffee, etc. People will congregate around the Hub spokes, particularly the one heading towards Tea Cups for 7DMT... but we just tend to sit back, enjoy the opening show, and be mid/back of those that do hug the spokes. It is often a pretty easy experience, so I wouldn't stress too much.
Thanks for the info. Which ride do you try to get to first?

Is this the current practice at the other 3 parks? They let you in an hour prior to "opening time" and then have a rope drop somewhere inside the park?

Is this the current practice at the other 3 parks? They let you in an hour prior to "opening time" and then have a rope drop somewhere inside the park?

No, it's unique to MK (and only applies to 9am park opening mornings). The other parks do generally let you in / hold you at some point in the park prior to opening to some extent, but it varies by park.

Thanks for the info. Which ride do you try to get to first?

I'm generally a fan of Frontierland at rope drop. So, a first ride on BTMR is often a target. Last time I was in the MK (Memorial Day) we rope dropped HM.

We arrived right at 8 last week. Shortest line I’ve ever experienced at Main St bakery! We wanted to ride Peter Pan, so we headed up to the castle, left side when facing it. Had a lovely chat with the CM there and other guests.

We walked through the castle and were off PP by 9:15.

Wow I'm so glad I found this thread, last time I was at Magic Kingdom they had the train show at rope drop. I didn't even know about this change. I'm glad I found this out ahead of time because I will be doing rope drop at Magic Kingdom in May 2020. Thanks for the information everyone!

We arrived right at 8 last week. Shortest line I’ve ever experienced at Main St bakery! We wanted to ride Peter Pan, so we headed up to the castle, left side when facing it. Had a lovely chat with the CM there and other guests.

We walked through the castle and were off PP by 9:15.
Thanks for the info.
It will be so hard to RD parks when we go. EMH everyday (hs 6am, mk&Ak 7am)! Way too early for my family with my dd2! But we will be trying everyday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter