Room charge dispute-what do you think? Update on page 5

I was not even aware it was possible to create a credit on your room to deduct from, since Disney hasn't yet been able to figure out how to apply gift cards to an account (before there is something to apply them to).

Every once in awhile I’ll be confused by an amount being charged to my credit card, however, when I investigate the charge I tend to find the charge was for something that I forgot I bought :)
Sometimes charges don’t immediately hit the hotel bill. Thus something bought a few days earlier like at DS or whatever, may not actually be charged until later, even after you’ve settled your bill. To verify that OP did indeed not get the correct amount refunded OP would need to add up every item they purchased (including food & tips) through out the entire stay - not just the last day - and compare that to what they actually were charged.

The $20 charge was a cash pay out to themselves. It is very clear what it is from the invoice and they admit that but say they are entitled to the money because the CM made an error in counting my cash.

I was not even aware it was possible to create a credit on your room to deduct from, since Disney hasn't yet been able to figure out how to apply gift cards to an account (before there is something to apply them to).

They can apply a cash credit and gift card credit once there are charges on the account. Personally, I won't do it again.

They can apply a cash credit and gift card credit once there are charges on the account. Personally, I won't do it again.

I agree. I was just expressing my surprise that you could apply $50 or whatever it ended up being above the amount of the charges actually present.

How do they know it was your transaction that the CM messed up? Maybe CM kept the money. Maybe the $20 was short for another guest, where maybe they didn't count out the money. If you have a receipt, CM keyed in they received the full amount from you and it should not appear as shorted. They don't have anything to support what they are doing. Just on principle that I would not let it go. Send copies of the receipt etc to the Manager of the Resort and Corporate, with CC noted so Manager of Resort knows you aren't leaving it just to them to resolve. They need to know this in case they have a "problem" on the front line, or in the deposit process or back room. This may be happening to lots of folks who just let it go.

I agree. In my last email I asked to be put into contact with a manager. Haven't received a response since yesterday afternoon. I have no idea how to reach a manager directly on my own since there are no hotel email addresses and everything goes through the central phone number. I will wait.

Update: I received a reply from the billing department saying that they have credited my CC on file $20 due to my "disappointment." I had asked to be put into contact with hotel management which they didn't do but said that they passed my feedback on themselves. So I'm happy to have my $20 back but must say not happy with Disney's service in this case and that I can't access a manager.

Update: I received a reply from the billing department saying that they have credited my CC on file $20 due to my "disappointment." I had asked to be put into contact with hotel management which they didn't do but said that they passed my feedback on themselves. So I'm happy to have my $20 back but must say not happy with Disney's service in this case and that I can't access a manager.

You can bypass them if you want, plenty here send their complaints to corporate to make sure their issues are heard.

I agree with don't let it go. Even if you don't push getting the money back...at least speak your mind!
My husband & I are excellent tippers. We would go to this one curbside place in the summer and order the same food every week. We then would mix it up a little by traveling to the same curbside place but in another town. We noticed our meal was like $2.50 more at the other food place. We looked at the menus..same prices....tax percentage....same.

Here the lovely server was tipping herself beforehand & then getting our tip again when we paid the bill!!! Yeah you can say it was only $2.50...but that adds up when you consider other people she is doing this to.
This CM could be doing the same. Plus she could have started out at $2 or $5 and no one batted an eye so she worked her way up. $$:confused3

Wow.

I've become a very vigilant person at the cash register. We use a lot of coupons and store apps. Well, let's say I watch when they do coupons so that nothing sticks together and get missed. I also watch and listen for the scanning beeps. Sometimes cashiers double scan items and don't know, so you have to let them know. I've actually had some challenge me at the register to which I lean over and actually show them on their screen where they did it.

I wish that at grocery stores and such they could alternate the pitch of the tones used for when an item is scanned (ie, lane 2 doesn't have the same sound as registers 1 and 3, so that you can hear when items are scanned).

So what happened with the server? Did you pursue anything?

Glad to see you've gotten a small resolution. I'm sure that there's someone here who has the resort info you're looking for and could PM it to you.

When did they start allowing you to put money onto your account ahead of spending it? i wanted to put a gift card in Feb on my room and was told that you cannot put a credit on - you can pay down each evening if you want.

When did they start allowing you to put money onto your account ahead of spending it? i wanted to put a gift card in Feb on my room and was told that you cannot put a credit on - you can pay down each evening if you want.

Ever since they started the trial of going cashless at AKL gift shop, sundry shop, restaurants, etc. Since they started that trial they have been allowing guests to put down cash and gift cards towards the room to satisfy those who do not do credit cards. The trial started about 6 months ago.

Ever since they started the trial of going cashless at AKL gift shop, sundry shop, restaurants, etc. Since they started that trial they have been allowing guests to put down cash and gift cards towards the room to satisfy those who do not do credit cards. The trial started about 6 months ago.

Ah, interesting. I was not able to in Feb at Sports.

But given this poster's experience, I think I'll stick with just making a simple visit to the front desk every night to pay off any charges. Or just using my gift card at restaurants or stores and eliminating the charge back to the room thing all together.

OP said upthread that they purposely overpaid the room charges in cash so there would be a balance to use on the last day. They paid $600 cash, but owed a lesser amount. The $20 was deducted from the extra they had pre-paid in cash. So hypothetically (since it was never specified what was owed), they owed $550, but paid $600 so they could charge $50 worth the following day and have it covered. The hotel deducted $20 from that, leaving him with only $30 to spend the next day vs the $50 it should have been. There's no credit card company to lodge a dispute with as it was paid in cash. The receipt however should be all the proof needed. If the hotel made an error counting the money and writing out the receipt, that's on them. There's no way to prove that an error was made at this point, so they have to go off the receipt and should refund the $20.
What I don’t understand if the OP overpaid with cash why was the extra cash not refunded when checking out?

What I don’t understand if the OP overpaid with cash why was the extra cash not refunded when checking out?

Because they cashed out $20 to themselves before checkout which actually put me in the hole a bit and I ended up with a $10 charge to my CC.

So what happens if a guest leaves behind a credit? I know I've had some trips where I'm trying to get on the road, I didn't get my checkout email yet but I really don't want to get in that big line up front anymore. So I am more focused on leaving ........ I could see myself taking off and not getting money back I left on account. Is Disney going to issue some time of refund and mail it to these guests or is this going to just be income until such time a guest remembers and attempts to get it back?

I have had trips where I paid all in cash, and with MB this might be tempting, especially if at a cashless resort.

This is why I use a credit card to pay for rental cars, hotel rooms, large electronics and appliances. You get that extra protection in the event there is an issue. I know, I know...Dave Ramsey says credit is from the debil, but if you use it responsibly, it can be helpful. All I can suggest is write to guest services. I have found no matter the issue, DWD is bending over backwards to make sure customers are satisfied after a complaint.

i would add this to reason #312 why you should never pay cash for ALMOST anything.

Paper trail rules all.

I get it. If you are that against paying the 19% interest on a credit card, pay your $600 cash up front to your credit card company. that way you have a credit with your self and are not relying on Disney to handle a large cash transaction properly.

lol....that is an absurd thing to ask for over $20.
Funny, just a few days ago a local grocery store wanted to review camera footage because my wife reviewed the receipt and noticed an item for $3.88 that we didn't buy (or receive) LOL

OP, glad you got a credit in the end but I might send some feedback to guest experience anyway.

lol....that is an absurd thing to ask for over $20.
I beg to differ! No it is not.
YOU may think $20 is nothing but to many people it is a lot. Someone else may think $50 or $100 is “nothing” in the grand scheme of things since they just spent a small fortune on their trip.
Not the point, the OP was given credit for a certain amount on her hotel folio & it was adjusted in Disney’s favor with no explanation.
There are cameras at the desks for a reason, those cameras are watching guests AND staff.
Disney has had plenty of dishonest employees over the years.
Disney isn’t right simply because they say it’s so!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter