Rollins College?

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by mom22boys, Apr 20, 2018.

1. mom22boys

mom22boys DIS Veteran

By chance do any of you have experience with Rollins College? My oldest DS's guidance counselor recommended it to him and of course, he is very intrigued by the idea since it is so close to WDW. However, being from the north, we have very limited knowledge. Any insider information would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. arminnie

arminnie <font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br

I never read on this forum, but the "Rollins College" caught my eye. Rollins is an excellent school. Really top rate.

I have been on several boards at Tulane University so am fairly familiar with other Southern schools. While I've never been to Rollins I am very aware of its reputation.

Whether this is the right place for your DS is not something I can assess. It's a small school so the experience is going to be very different from going to a mega school with 80,000 students. My undergraduate class at Newcomb College (women's school) at Tulane was about 300 people as was my MBA class at Stanford. I loved knowing all of my classmates.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    mister morrow likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mom22boys

mom22boys DIS Veteran

Thank you!

5. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

I graduated undergrad from Rollins.

Is there something specific you're looking for regarding the school that you can't find online?

As for "close" to WDW - it's only close as in that it's in Orlando. It's on the opposite side of downtown Orlando and is a good trip down I-4 to get to the parks, so it's not right next door. Winter Park is a beautiful area, but the college itself is very small - which is a perk to some, but a con to many.

Is there a specific major he's interested in that would make Rollins a potential undergrad spot for him?

It's also private, so I would look into what tuition is like these days. I was on academic and athletic scholarship, but this was back in the early 2000s.

6. mom22boys

mom22boys DIS Veteran

Yes, the website has been so helpful! As for "close" in our book since we live so far away from WDW, for us Rollins is very close to WDW!;) :)

I guess I was just wondering if they had an inside scoop. Just wondering if students are happy there.

7. BrinkofSunshine

BrinkofSunshine DIS Veteran

A friend of mine graduated from Rollins and it seemed like she really enjoyed her time there. It's usually rated as one of the top schools in the southeast. The campus is seriously stunning, and the city of Winter Park is charming as well.

8. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Give me 95 degrees everyday

Visited this past week. It is a small campus and is stunning in architecture. It is also very busy and I found driving a car to be challenging due to small roads/traffic. But, Winter Park is gorgeous!

9. Curtis Foley

Curtis Foley Earning My Ears

My cousin has just gradutated from Rollins, he had also enjoyed his time a lot.

10. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I doubt anyone will be able to say if your ds will be happy there. Each kiddo's college experience is very different. My dd went to a small university in RI. She loved it, it was perfect for her. Yet, there were others that hated it there. Some left after freshman year, saying it just wasn't big enough. Others just didn't like the school for their own reasons. It's all in what you make it. Just be careful. My dd really wanted to go to school in NYC, as she was a theater major. But, we figured that if she was there, she wouldn't be going to class but doing other theater type stuff. So, if you think your ds might be close enough to WDW to make frequent trips there, it may not be the best option!!! And if he is thinking about getting a p/t job there, or doing DCP while at college, be aware that it isn't a quick ride down 4!!!!