Disneyland Moonlight Magic

DisSocal81

Earning My Ears
What are you thoughts on the Disneyland's (DCA) Moonlight Magic? Do you think this enticed some West Coast folks to buy into DVC when the Villas at the Disneyland Hotel opens?

Last edited:
I'm sad that our first chance of trying to make it to one (as new members) was at a really bad time of year for us so we missed it.

I think the biggest fight VDH has is the point charts and the price. If it's a high price and/or a bad chart, I'll just buy more VGC on the resale to fill my west coast DVC needs. If the chart is amazing, I'll be very tempted. If they really wanted to push DVC on the west coast, bring back the premiere passport (good at both WDW and Disneyland), allow those with existing magic keys and WDW passes to trade into it (cash out a reasonable value of used or all of unused passes), and offer it at a solid discount. The cheers would be heard from coast to coast and even across the pond(s).

I'm looking forward to the new lounge this year and other DVC fun and free gear. I hope the guides still have a lot to hand out during our welcome home trip in a few weeks to VGC.

Side note - join the party in this waiting for VDH thread. We have lots of fun there -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...el-dvc-thread-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/

What are you thoughts on the Disneyland's (DCA) Moonlight Magic? Do you think this enticed some West Coast folks to buy into DVC when the Villas at the Disneyland Hotel opens?
As a west coast person growing up, I’ve heard of DVC but always thought of it as a Florida thing. There’s almost never anyone at the DVC booths until like a week ago I see someone hanging out at the booth across from the grand Cali entrance. DVC is super low profile here. I had a decent time at MM but also it was my first experience and have no prior parties to compare to. I don’t think it’s enough to entice people to buy in though. Most of us live near by and come to dland at least weekly already. It’s just too convenient. Saying that though, I am planning on buying points when they drop but that’s cuz I have addonitis and also can’t get a room at Grand Cali. 😅

I'm sad that our first chance of trying to make it to one (as new members) was at a really bad time of year for us so we missed it.

I think the biggest fight VDH has is the point charts and the price. If it's a high price and/or a bad chart, I'll just buy more VGC on the resale to fill my west coast DVC needs. If the chart is amazing, I'll be very tempted. If they really wanted to push DVC on the west coast, bring back the premiere passport (good at both WDW and Disneyland), allow those with existing magic keys and WDW passes to trade into it (cash out a reasonable value of used or all of unused passes), and offer it at a solid discount. The cheers would be heard from coast to coast and even across the pond(s).

I'm looking forward to the new lounge this year and other DVC fun and free gear. I hope the guides still have a lot to hand out during our welcome home trip in a few weeks to VGC.

Side note - join the party in this waiting for VDH thread. We have lots of fun there -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...el-dvc-thread-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/
I miss my premier pass 😭

I don't think it enticed people to purchase into DVC. The people there were either already DVC members or guests of DVC members. I think this is an event more for locals. I flew in from a neighboring state so that I could experience it and it just involves too many working parts to attend - I paid for a plane ticket, and because the event was announced with little notice, most of us who have VGC as their home resorts couldn't even stay there using our DVC points. So I used my (non-Disney) points to stay at a hotel off Disney property. Because it was in the middle of the week, I took 2 days off work. So that's why I think it's more of an event for locals. If I lived nearby, then I would be more inclined to attend again. Some of the more popular rides like Radiator Springs Racer still had long waits, but rides like Goofy's Sky School had practically no wait.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

Last edited:

We were fortunate enough to attend the recent Moonlight Magic at DCA.

We had tickets to one back in September 2022, which was cancelled because of Hurricane Ian, so this was our first moonlight magic event.

Here are some observations, no real flow or theme to them, so I'll use bullet points.
  • When the park closed to regular quests Radiator Springs had an 80 minute wait, most other attractions had low wait to no wait times. I walked right on to Incredicoaster, and Spiderman Web Slingers. We looped back around to Radiator Springs and the line was down to around 35 minutes, which as accurate.
  • We made a noob mistake, and saved our food coupons for later in the event thinking we could use them at the Lunar New Year carts, which had all closed up by the time we went to use them at 10 pm or so. The remaining food carts had pretty crazy lines (churro carts etc), so we never ended up using them.
  • I think our favorite part of the event was having the stores on Buena Vista Street pretty much to ourselves, so nice to be able to wander around at our own pace and not feel crowded.
  • Picked up the red DVC Spirit Jersey at the front of Elias & Co, they had a nice windbreaker and lounge fly as well.
  • ALSO, since I love taking photos, having the parks almost empty (since everyone apparently lined up for the food!) I was able to capture some great night shots around the park.
Conveniently we will be staying at Riviera in May and will hopefully snag tickets to the Hollywood Studios event.

As a west coast person growing up, I’ve heard of DVC but always thought of it as a Florida thing. There’s almost never anyone at the DVC booths until like a week ago I see someone hanging out at the booth across from the grand Cali entrance. DVC is super low profile here. I had a decent time at MM but also it was my first experience and have no prior parties to compare to. I don’t think it’s enough to entice people to buy in though. Most of us live near by and come to dland at least weekly already. It’s just too convenient. Saying that though, I am planning on buying points when they drop but that’s cuz I have addonitis and also can’t get a room at Grand Cali. 😅
I would have to agree! I am a local as well and have Magic Keys. We stay at VGC for 1 night almost every month. We like the feeling of staying and being part of the park and that is why we will still buy in at VDH even though we only live 40 miles away.

For how much? $2500? :scared:
I mean, I think I paid $2100 for mine pre-COVID. $2500 doesn’t seem that far off. 😅 But for that price I would want zero block off dates for all parks and zero reservations. I added my 2 pass together though and I’m currently paying $2600 for both coasts. I did save $20 on my Magic Key with my DVC discount 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter