Robbed at BWV

Folks are reminded to re-read the DISboard guidelines .

Pointing out spelling or title errors is both rude and unacceptable behaviour.
Either read the thread/post as the originator has posted or move on to another thread.

Posters who continue to engage in fights that should be kept off the board will not be made welcome here.

OP don't be so hard on yourself I probably would not have grabbed the bag either! Glad to hear I were able to get them back!

If it was on the valet cart it would fall within the valet's responsibility regaurdless if it was sitting out or not. The valet took possession (which they did) with the promise (implied or not since it is the valet's duty or job) to deliver to the room safely without loss.

I guess there would be some questions as to what exactly was in the bag, but regardless it is Disneys/Valets fault for losing items that are placed on a valet cart and possibily any related inconvenience that the loss of the items caused.

I occasionally do work in support of conventions. I bring my desktop computer and associated equipment to the hotel. While I don't give the bell services people a death stare, I do stand there politely and patiently until my work equipment is moved into locked storage as they have promised to do. I can't afford to lose that equipment so I'm vigilant "with a smile." I also slip in an extra tip for the extra care they're taking.

North of Mouse said:
:sad2: You are kidding, right? They were compensated even when Disney doesn't seem responsible. What more compensation should Disney give them, when it was their fault. You *don't* leave cash laying around, and GC's are like cash. She took her purse, and admitted she should have taken her bag also. We must take some responsibility for our own selves. It could have been a very costly *mistake* on *her* part, but it turned out well.

The first thing some people seem to think about is what can I get out of this from Disney! :sad1:

This best post in this thread

:sad2: You are kidding, right? They were compensated even when Disney doesn't seem responsible. What more compensation should Disney give them, when it was their fault. You *don't* leave cash laying around, and GC's are like cash. She took her purse, and admitted she should have taken her bag also. We must take some responsibility for our own selves. It could have been a very costly *mistake* on *her* part, but it turned out well.

The first thing some people seem to think about is what can I get out of this from Disney! :sad1:

I agree that the OP should have been more careful but that does not absolve Disney. If they take 8 bags and only deliver 7, it's their fault. It doesn't matter that it was a contractor, the contractor is working on behalf of Disney in their hotel.

I'm glad that you were compensated, it is always a good reminder regardless of whom we deem at fault, wholly or partially.

And I stood there and death-glared at the little person at the luggage desk for a good 20 mins while my friends shopped in the store and got a bite to eat from the quick-service place. Then, after about 20mins or so, the little person at the desk took my bag and locked it in a numbered cage in the luggage room. He had left the podium several times, gotten other people's luggage, and left our bags entirely unattended. I had stayed within eyeshot though and was giving him the death glare at every chance.

You can generally tell how nice a person is by how they treat people in the service industry. I'm sorry, but you are not a nice person.

mousermerf said:
The point was to imply that it's your stuff, your responsibility, and the people who work there don't necessarily give two craps about what happens to your luggage.

Heck, we have some admitting they'd give worse service intentionally - you know, things that would get them terminated if their employer found out. :groom:

So no, I don't think my death glare was even noticed, but my luggage also wasn't just left sitting alone in the middle of the busy lobby for a long time because I watched it until the "little person" did their job the way they were supposed to a full 20 minutes prior.

Why in the world are you referring to the worker as a "little person"?!??

I don't care if they are subcontracted or not, you were violated and I'm sure that was awful. We are Disney lovers and tend to defend the company. You were violated. It sucks and I am really sorry that happened to you.

There is no way to know who was responsible though.

Im so sorry that happened to you...it totally sucks to have things stolen. Thank you for warning us, I will definitly be on the heads up in future about what I put on those luggage carts. Glad things turned out in the end for you.

Disney is responsible. And why does it matter to everyone whether it's a suitcase full of clothes, a laptop, a roll of cash or gift cards. Whatever the valet employed by Disney takes possession of he is charged with ensuring that it is safely delivered to your room.

Surely you wouldn't argue that it's a passengers fault when an airline loses their luggage. The same principle applies here.

Bottom line, Disney and the valet should treat your property that they have in their custody just as you would.

Hope the rest of your trip is better OP! :)

I agree, it doesnt matter what is in your bags, if you turn it over to the valets they are 'taking responsibility' that you will receive those items in your room. I just dont understand sometimes how people on here want to blame the poster and not anyone that has anything to do with Disney. And saying their first thought was what can I get from Disney? Just wow

while I would make sure to have important and valuable items with me, that's not the point.

we always wait at the pool, resort, unti our room is ready.. some people like to go to the parks. they should feel safe leaving their I pads, lap tops, etc. with the resort, as is advertised.

the OP admitted she was remiss in leaving the gift cards in the plastic bag. I agree this was a silly mistake. how many of us have NOT made a silly mistake on vacation, when you think you have all your I's dotted and T's crossed, and in the flurry of arriving and checking in you, gee, by golly, don't think of something (ususally the most obvious thing).

of course, Disney can
t guarnatee you safety from theft. If I were a crook, I would prey on stupid, unassuming people at disney
however, If I pull up to a Disney resort, and am told to check my belongings with them, they will keep them until my room is ready, and then deliver them, I assume they will deliver ALL my belongings.
while I will keep our bag with medications aside, and our bag wiht money, gift cards, folders with itinerary, etc. I'm not happy to hear that once we check our luggage, it's "there for the taking", hanging out there in the lobby.

not that my clothes are really worth anything , but if luggage carts are just hanging out in the lobby with no one watching them.... well, it I'm a thief, I'm thinking, I'll just stroll past and nonchalantly grab a bag and find out later if I got anything good or not.

Disney is responsible. And why does it matter to everyone whether it's a suitcase full of clothes, a laptop, a roll of cash or gift cards. Whatever the valet employed by Disney takes possession of he is charged with ensuring that it is safely delivered to your room.

Surely you wouldn't argue that it's a passengers fault when an airline loses their luggage. The same principle applies here.

Bottom line, Disney and the valet should treat your property that they have in their custody just as you would.

I agree, it doesnt matter what is in your bags, if you turn it over to the valets they are 'taking responsibility' that you will receive those items in your room. I just dont understand sometimes how people on here want to blame the poster and not anyone that has anything to do with Disney. And saying their first thought was what can I get from Disney? Just wow

:thumbsup2

That's terrible, OP! I'm glad you were compensated, and I totally understand why you felt so discouraged. We all make mistakes on vacation, and not just at Disney! Sure, it's smart to keep your valuables with you, but when you're all flustered trying to get everything in order it's easy to space something.

Again, the problem is proof. If the OP has claim tickets for 7 bags, or however many she had, then she has proof one was taken. If not, then it is the same as saying something was taken from your room. You would hope Disney would do something, but unless you have proof of having that item to begin with they have no legal obligation to do so.

Airlines know how many bags you check. If Disney doesn't know how many bags the OP started with, that is different.

Again, the problem is proof. If the OP has claim tickets for 7 bags, or however many she had, then she has proof one was taken.

Correct; the number of items on the luggage cart are noted on the receipt.
When the bell person unloads the luggage cart in your room, he counts the number of items, which should equal the number on the receipt. Which leaves me wondering what happened in the OP's case, as they would have realized right then that one of their bags was missing.

OP wasn't in the room when the luggage was delivered (is what I inferred from the original post) and conked out on arriving there after a late dinner - so wasn't aware of the most likely misplaced store bag until the next morning.

Chances are it's somewhere in the luggage storage room. It doesn't sound like the OP's luggage was delivered immediately or quickly, and while there are a reasonable number of carts at each resort, there isn't nearly one per room. The OP's luggage likely didn't stay on that cart from arrival to delivery.

kaytieeldr said:
OP wasn't in the room when the luggage was delivered (is what I inferred from the original post) and conked out on arriving there after a late dinner - so wasn't aware of the most likely misplaced store bag until the next morning.

Chances are it's somewhere in the luggage storage room. It doesn't sound like the OP's luggage was delivered immediately or quickly, and while there are a reasonable number of carts at each resort, there isn't nearly one per room. The OP's luggage likely didn't stay on that cart from arrival to delivery.

See if I knew I had gift cards in a bag I gave other people I do not care how tired I was that would be the first bag I checked. It makes her story a little fishy. I would never give gift cards to luggage at all, but then let alone do that and not make sure that bag is there when delivered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!