Road Trip Apps? (For planning, not for entertaining the squids)

BarbMike821

Painting the Roses Red
So to help us save some cash, were going to make the 18+ hour road trip to Disney. I've been trying to find road trip planning apps that'll help us map the route, find rest stops, food, interesting things along the way, etc.

I don't mind paying for one if it's good. But I haven't had much luck searching for an app that fits the bill.

Any suggestions?

Depends where you are coming from. I have used the I-95 ap when traveling up the east coast. It lists all of the exits and what gas and food are at each exit. That was very helpful traveling with 2 picky eaters.

GasBuddy is great for road tripping. It uses your location & gives you a map of all nearby gas stations & the current prices.

Depends where you are coming from. I have used the I-95 ap when traveling up the east coast. It lists all of the exits and what gas and food are at each exit. That was very helpful traveling with 2 picky eaters.

We are coming from the Midwest, so we'll be on the 70 to 55 to something else to get us SE. But this is good to know they have interstate specific apps!!

There is an app called Roadside America. It's not free and you have to purchase it by regions. I tend to run routes on mapquest and then use tripadvisor and plan before we leave. I no longer leave hotel rooms to chance because I'm getting pickier as I get older. ;) I also look at state websites to see where construction is and use waze (free!) when driving.

The single two apps I ALWAYS keep ready on my phone are Waze and Google Maps. Google Maps is better at finding the shortest path between point A and point B, so I always use it to trip plan. But Waze is a community driven app. People report accidents the minute they happen, let you know about speed traps, animals on the road, horrible weather and holes in the road. (Don't laugh about holes in the road. I live in Louisiana and travel in Mississippi. New holes that could wreck your car are an actual problem.)

I haven't used it recently, but the Roadtrippers app worked for me in the past as far as finding interesting things to see along the way.

For mapping/GPS, I use Waze. It's good for routing around backups on the fly and also lets you elect to avoid toll roads if you choose.

I like Gas Buddy for getting gas prices as we go.

I like TripAdvisor for finding places to eat/things to do in towns. Road Trippers is supposed to be good for finding neat things as you go, but I've never used it.

Are you a AAA member, because they have an app. I haven't used it, but I've seen it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter