Riverside accessible room

Michigan

Mom of the Rolling Crew
We are making a quick trip to WDW on our way to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. I was able to get an accessible room with a roll in shower at Riverside. Can anybody give me any details about the resort?

Thanks
Cindy

it's been a long time since I stayed there, but I just visited the food court on 1/2 for breakfast, so I can start you off with some things about that area.
The food court, a sit down restaurant, bar, large shop, arcade and the check in area are all in the same building. The rear and side exits of the building go out onto a boardwalk along the water. Some of the door have steps to lead to the boardwalk, but look around a bit and you will find the ramped exits. I don't recall them being marked in any way.
The ladies room in that area has a large handicapped stall (one of the ones with a sink and ample room for manouvering - I didn't go in that stall on this trip since DD wasn't with me, but I did go in the restroom and it didn't appear they had changed that stall).
The food court area is down a ramp from the check in area. you order the food at about 4 individual "shops", but there is a central check out area for paying. There are refrigerated cases with prepacked salads, fruit, juice. The food ordered from the shops is presented on paper plates with clear plastic "bubble" covers (so could be balanced on a tray or lap without spilling.
There are some large round tables that we've found are great for DD while sitting in her wheelchair.
Some people in the past have found that the boardwalk is kind of rough to drive over - we haven't had that problem, DD thought it was funny.
The main pool is in the same area. We walked back there, but didn't really look around. I know it's not zero entry, but I don't know whether or not it has bump steps.

Thanks for all the information Sue. It's just a quick trip only going to the Magic Kingdom but it's better then nothing.

Not sure what time we will get there the night before or if it will be warm enough to go swimming but the pool won't be a problem. My oldest DD will just get down out of her chair and get in the pool off the edge. I don't think I mention it on the boards but Megan is a freshman this year and she decided to go out for the swim team at her high school. She is the first athlete in a wheelchair on a school team and out of the 9 freshman girls on the team this year 7 of them got their varsity letter and Megan was one of the 7. It's been an eye opener for a lot of people that someone with no leg function at all could swim will nothing but upper body.

Thanks again
Cindy

Glad to help. Hope you have3 a great trip.

I do think you mentioned about your Megan before when she joined the team. Congratulations to her for getting her letter.

Michigan said:
We are making a quick trip to WDW on our way to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. I was able to get an accessible room with a roll in shower at Riverside. Can anybody give me any details about the resort?

I spent almost four months in a wheelchair due to a leg injury and surgery to repair it. While I was temporarily disabled, I found the folks here on the disABILITIES! board to be almost like my own personal band of angels. I learned so much from them that I took that vacation and had the time of my life.

During my two-week WDW vacation, one of the resorts I stayed in was Port Orleans - Riverside. I have a few photos posted of my handicap-accessible room: click here. I could not walk or stand, so the roll-in shower was the greatest gift that anyone could have given me. I probably went through three sets of razor blades shaving my hairy leg (I know, too much information!) in that shower. Oh, happy day!

I had a really lovely stay at the Riverside. It was a brief one, but I did write about it in one of my trip reports: click here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter