Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which hotel? Which bag check? Saturday is a MM/EMH at DL (which I assume you won't have?), so give yourself plenty of time (more than you think you'll need) just to be on the safe side. The lines to the gates have been backing up heavily on Saturday mornings.

We'll be about a mile away, so I think we'll just use uber since it's only a 5-6 min drive. We'd be coming in through the Harbor entrance. Was thinking about leaving the hotel at 7a. Would that be cutting it too close?

It’s a totally non-holiday Friday morning in January. No MM. There’s no reason for there to be enough people in the park to kill the back-ups.

My favorite mornings to rope-drop Disneyland during the school year are (in order): Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Sundays are currently very impacted by ROTR because people have Sundays off, obviously, so the “ROTR effect” is huge (and unfortunately, Sundays have operated terribly so far, with zero back-ups taken on a Sunday yet!) But Wednesday and Friday? At this time of year? These are magical times to rope-drop DL. (Fridays do get busy later. But the morning is a different story.)

The BGs/backup timing is an interesting way to track morning park attendance. I wish we knew for sure how many people were in a BG.

My strategy on Monday is going to be launching the app fresh at 10 seconds before the top of the hour (it takes like 6 seconds to actually launch) and then clicking Find Out More. Who knows if it will work or not.

I'm also going to bring along another phone this time. My son has my old Galaxy S7 and I'm going to install the app and log in using my account on his so I at least have 2 phones to try from. I plan to have his launched and on the home screen and will click Find out more at 9am.

2 different strategies. Hope one will work.
Good plan. I have my wife's old S7 as well and if I do go, you can bet I'll have that sucker on the wifi and wielding my phones John Woo style...

The BGs/backup timing is an interesting way to track morning park attendance. I wish we knew for sure how many people were in a BG.
My educated guess is 80. Because...
10 vehicles holding 8 people each is 80. Folks counting say between 75 and 100. But 80 makes a lot of sense because it allows the people crunching the numbers to easily track how many vehicles are moving through the attraction. 80 groups loaded? That's 800 vehicles through the attraction.

In fact, I would like to get a viral rumor going that March 7-8 will be horribly crowded and everyone should just stay home...

:wizard:

ls0uamF.gif

It’s a totally non-holiday Friday morning in January. No MM. There’s no reason for there to be enough people in the park to kill the back-ups.

My favorite mornings to rope-drop Disneyland during the school year are (in order): Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Sundays are currently very impacted by ROTR because people have Sundays off, obviously, so the “ROTR effect” is huge (and unfortunately, Sundays have operated terribly so far, with zero back-ups taken on a Sunday yet!) But Wednesday and Friday? At this time of year? These are magical times to rope-drop DL. (Fridays do get busy later. But the morning is a different story.)

I agree with you on your days that are best to rope drop. We usually go Sundays because the mornings are typically very slow. Not so much now though.

I do wonder about this Sunday, due to the Super Bowl and the fact that the 49ers are in it this year, having more impact on locals who may be fans. My husband is a huge 49ers fan and if he was home, we would definitely not be at Disneyland this Sunday.

I'm thinking of maybe trying it this Sunday because we also have Monday as an option. Not sure yet what we will do.

I didn’t realize your two days were a Saturday and a Sunday. May the Force be with you!

(I’m sure you’ll be fine - will you have outside the park assistance, too?)
Yep. I have ability to flex to week days but two of my three sons who are coming with me do not. So we are powering out on Saturday and Sunday. I have a DAP and March 7 is my last open Saturday for a long time!

My educated guess is 80. Because...
10 vehicles holding 8 people each is 80. Folks counting say between 75 and 100. But 80 makes a lot of sense because it allows the people crunching the numbers to easily track how many vehicles are moving through the attraction. 80 groups loaded? That's 800 vehicles through the attraction.
there are 4 integration rooms each loading 2 vehicles of 8 for 16 people. It’s about a 5 min cycle for each room

In our experience in getting groups, the optimal is launching the app a few minutes before, clear any push notifications (like that pesky Play ad!), double check tickets are all loaded and situated -- and then minimize the app at the home screen.

Come 8:00 -- open app, > Find out more > Join boarding group. If greyed out, hit My status > Join boarding Group.

If unable, close app quickly and relaunch and repeat through quickly ---i've only had to do this last step once from home when playing along and it worked to 'reset' the app -- which takes precious seconds, but still only ~6 secs in time.

I agree with you on your days that are best to rope drop. We usually go Sundays because the mornings are typically very slow. Not so much now though.

I do wonder about this Sunday, due to the Super Bowl and the fact that the 49ers are in it this year, having more impact on locals who may be fans. My husband is a huge 49ers fan and if he was home, we would definitely not be at Disneyland this Sunday.

I'm thinking of maybe trying it this Sunday because we also have Monday as an option. Not sure yet what we will do.
This Sunday is my husband’s birthday, so we were thinking of going and trying for a BG since he hasn’t ridden yet, but we’d have to be out of the parks by mid-day to watch the game, soooo... probably not?

If you go, I hope the accursed Sunday ride performance changes.

ETA: I have been checking for Sunday Lamplight Lounge brunch reservations every hour since Wednesday, and I just scored 9:10am! Soooo, we’ll be there. Probably we will try for a BG? Assuming my husband wants to wake up early on his birthday... Decisions, decisions...

Unfortunately you will have to read back through many posts in this thread to piece this together. The general consensus seems to be:
  • to move into the park as much as possible
    • but some people have had great success in Town Square or up on the Train Station (usually folks who barely made it thru the gates before park opening and this was their only viable option)
  • move away from large groups of people as much as possible
  • have an app or website open on your phone to check your speed - the "ping" time seems to be more important - and find places where the ping is a short as possible and the overall speed is as fast as possible
  • folks have reported good luck in Frontierland near the shooting galleries, near IAWS and in TL near or past BLAB
Many other pieces of advice exist and lol I have a bookmarked list of 8-10 posts in this thread which I refer back to for each gem. I can dump the bookmarks here if you would like to see them. :thumbsup2

I'm fairly new to the forum (about a month) and I have read all pages but I didn't know you could bookmark posts. I would love to see which ones you've saved.

We're planning on going Wednesday the 5th. DH and I will have the so Cal 3-day tickets, my DD will still have her AP (which expires on the 9th). For lots of reasons this will be our only shot to try for RotR for a few months.

I've played from home 3 times now and have been successful each time. With Galaxy S10 and T-Mobile, opening the app at one minute before park opening (had an alarm set) then watching for my phone clock to turn from :59 to :00 then clicking the Find Out More button and getting the orange Join Boarding Group button each time. Of course I know it will be different fighting with all the others in the parks for 4G access. That's the rub isn't it.

Presidents Weekend is going to be busy, no doubt, but I'm wondering if its going to fall victim to people being scared of crowds and not going and perhaps be not quite as bad as everyone fears? It's still wide open all weekend for Flex Pass reservations whereas nearly every weekend for the Nov/Dec holiday season as well as ROTR opening weekend/MLK were Reservation Unavailable weeks ahead of time...

Or am I just making excuses for trying to talk myself into going that weekend... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter