Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably did do everything right, and that’s why this system can be extremely frustrating. People who haven’t been in your situation just don’t get it, and the Disneyland apologists tend to blame the person, not the system. The system, when it works for you, is great. When it doesn’t, it’s an entirely different matter.
You had me until this. Does anyone here actually think Disney is blameless? I don't think I've seen anyone say that, and I certainly don't feel that way.

It's something that's bothered me in this thread. I don't think anyone here is denying that there are problems. We're mostly just here to help everyone get through those problems to have the best opportunity they can to ride the ride.

The app is faulty. The ride has issues. We've drawn up what we think are the best ways to avoid those problems.

But I don't think DL staff, the Imagineers, or anyone else at Disney is an idiot, or somehow willfully trying to ruin people's experience. Are they doing everything they can or should? Probably not. But they're not idiots for not having conceived of every possible situation and worked around it. They're learning, they're making changes, I hope more changes are in store.

As people keep pointing out, Indy and RSR still go down on almost a daily basis. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have built either of those rides, or that they're idiots for having done so. Stuff happens, and it's not like DL staff secretly wants stuff to fail.

In my lifetime, I've had the great luxury of spending a lot of time at Disney parks. Have things always gone perfectly? Not even close. Have I been angry at a Disney park? You better believe it. Have I been upset at a CM? Absolutely. But I always try to keep in mind that (most of) the people involved are doing their best - no one wants me to be upset. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to ride ROTR and love the hell out of it. But we're not there yet.

And all I can do in this situation is hope that they'll eventually get it right.

Today yes. I have been having issues with my Find Out More button turning red. So I experimented today by being in the Find Out More page first, then clicking My Status at 8. This worked the first time, no problem. When I backed out to try again, I got the red error message.

I am so doing this on Sunday.

So for everyone thinking this ride will never be reliable, we were in Disney World when Test Track was first having soft openings. The park would not notify anyone when it was running. It would start up, we would run to the ride, They would load a few people, and you might or might not get all the way through the ride. It was unusual to see the ride run for more than 20-30 minutes with passengers before it would go down again. The tires on the cars could not stand up to the demands of the ride, the software was VERY buggy and crashed frequently, and this was after long delays to get to a soft opening. That was a hot mess of a ride opening.

RotR is actually running very well compared to the early days of test track. It appears that most days they are getting a lot of people through the ride. I understand that everyone wants to ride it, but there have been much worse openings, and test track eventually became reasonably reliable.

You had me until this. Does anyone here actually think Disney is blameless? I don't think I've seen anyone say that, and I certainly don't feel that way.

It's something that's bothered me in this thread. I don't think anyone here is denying that there are problems. We're mostly just here to help everyone get through those problems to have the best opportunity they can to ride the ride.

The app is faulty. The ride has issues. We've drawn up what we think are the best ways to avoid those problems.

But I don't think DL staff, the Imagineers, or anyone else at Disney is an idiot, or somehow willfully trying to ruin people's experience. Are they doing everything they can or should? Probably not. But they're not idiots for not having conceived of every possible situation and worked around it. They're learning, they're making changes, I hope more changes are in store.

As people keep pointing out, Indy and RSR still go down on almost a daily basis. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have built either of those rides, or that they're idiots for having done so. Stuff happens, and it's not like DL staff secretly wants stuff to fail.

In my lifetime, I've had the great luxury of spending a lot of time at Disney parks. Have things always gone perfectly? Not even close. Have I been angry at a Disney park? You better believe it. Have I been upset at a CM? Absolutely. But I always try to keep in mind that (most of) the people involved are doing their best - no one wants me to be upset. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to ride ROTR and love the hell out of it. But we're not there yet.

And all I can do in this situation is hope that they'll eventually get it right.
Nicely said, and I had an issue with the “Disney apologists” line you responded to as well. Thanks for articulating these points.

I rode Splash Mountain during its first summer open, I guess 1989? Anyway, we were getting in and out of line all day trying to ride it. I think we spent a combined total of 3 hours in line that day, and there was never any guarantee that it would reopen. Finally got to ride it very late, just before closing, and it was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had in a Disney park. Totally worth the trouble.

we are on line now. on a good day how long does it take to get through the line and on the ride?
It just took me around 45 mins just there from the indoor part of the line. Definitely loading slower than it has been. I’m guessing some of that was fastpasses from the breakdown though

2nd day trying for a boarding group and got #20 today. (17 yesterday) Outside of the plaza inn. Today’s return time was only an hour which was tight since we were in line for smugglers run when we were notified and it was a loooong wait. They hadn’t even started boarding groups when we got in line so we had no way of knowing.

I’m not sure where you’re going with all of this in regards to what I said. Several people on these boards tend to blame the poster when things go sideways at Disneyland, and not just this thread. That’s the angle from where I was coming. MOST people on this thread are amazing and sympathetic when things go wrong. I could go into more detail with specific examples of when this isn’t the case, but it’s not worth the confrontation.

I truly think the system in place is probably the best they can do at this time, and I’m sure Disney is working behind the scenes to make it better. I never implied the people at Disney were idiots, or that they don’t care about guest satisfaction. So I’m not really sure where all of that is coming from.

I was mostly just trying to be empathetic to the original poster. They didn’t get a regular BG today and it wasn’t because they did anything wrong.

I’m not sure where you’re going with all of this in regards to what I said. Several people on these boards tend to blame the poster when things go sideways at Disneyland, and not just this thread. That’s the angle from where I was coming. MOST people on this thread are amazing and sympathetic when things go wrong. I could go into more detail with specific examples of when this isn’t the case, but it’s not worth the confrontation.

I truly think the system in place is probably the best they can do at this time, and I’m sure Disney is working behind the scenes to make it better. I never implied the people at Disney were idiots, or that they don’t care about guest satisfaction. So I’m not really sure where all of that is coming from.

I was mostly just trying to be empathetic to the original poster. They didn’t get a regular BG today and it wasn’t because they did anything wrong.

I took the PP's response differently than you did. I think she/he was referring to your post about "Disneyland apologists".

You probably did do everything right, and that’s why this system can be extremely frustrating. People who haven’t been in your situation just don’t get it, and the Disneyland apologists tend to blame the person, not the system. The system, when it works for you, is great. When it doesn’t, it’s an entirely different matter.
I am not going to go back and parse the words on every post you or the PP made so I very well may be mis-remembering. But going from my sometimes faulty memory, I found that an odd description. It seemed to imply (to me) that you have an issue with people here who have pointed out (ad nausuem in this lengthy thread) that new, complicated, groundbreaking rides always seem to have similar reliability issues early on. They are saying that some who seem to be saying that the sky is falling with ROTR are exhibiting a very select and short memory. To me that has nothing to do with being a Disney apologist. It is just being realistic. And IMO objective.

A parallel sentiment is the whole idea of Boarding Groups and how BGs are being used at this time to manage the ROTR process. And whether these are fair, confusing, deficient, or in some ways a poor choice by Disney. That is subjective while the previous point was objective IMO.

I am going to be at DLR in 2 weeks for the main reason of riding ROTR. If the technology messes up and I can't ride over our two days there, I will be upset. And even if I know intellectually that the BG process is imperfect, etc., yet maybe the best of all worlds, I will still be upset.

I get why others may be upset. But if the reason others fail is that they are not paying attention (e.g., preparing), then I will not care as much. If they made a good faith attempt to prepare and the process went sideways, then I am right there with them in being upset. Same thing would happen if Disney was using standby lines for ROTR and someone showed up early and waited in line for 4-8 hours and were not able ride. That would suck.

Going back to the PP, I have not gotten a sense that the alternative opinions represent Disney apologists. I think it represents Disney realists.

:wizard:

Last edited:
@durantigger -hugs- I’m so sorry.

Came here to say it looks like it’s down again.They havent give the notice that they won’t reach me yet so it looks like they might be thinking they’ll cap off around 100 since I’m 94

Even if that's the case, I don't know that it's entirely fair to describe it that way. I think in most cases I've seen here, it's less about "blaming" the person, and more just saying, "hey, you probably shouldn't have done that, this might have worked better". That goes for most of the "tricks" at Disney in general. "How was I supposed to know that?" Answer: you weren't, but now you've got more info for the next time. And it's okay to be disappointed that you didn't know.

In part, I was responding to the variety of posts that came out of surfca's screed about their situation on Wednesday. Surfca indirectly called a bunch of people idiots, including Imagineers ("who makes a ride that needs three hours of maintenance a night?") and front-line CMs. If I point out surfca's questionable decision to use an RSR FP in the vicinity of their BG being called, I'm not trying to be a "Disney apologist" - I'm pointing out that half of their anger about the situation could have been avoided if they'd weighed the decision differently. Most of their anger was misdirected - they had every reason to be angry about the situation, but it wasn't Disney staff's fault that the ride was down - it was just an unfortunate night to try to ride. By chance, if they'd gone the day before, they wouldn't have had a problem.

Take my experience. First try, Group 1. I was shocked and elated. I also thought I was now an expert and got cocky. Second day, gray button. While I did manage to snag a late BG, the biggest luck I had that day was that, about an hour after I rode it, the ride died and was down most of the rest of the day. I was "unlucky" that morning, and then was very, very lucky that afternoon, with a lot of very disappointed people later that day. Nobody can predict how it's going to work out. (I might not get anywhere near that lucky next time.)

I would add that, at this point, history should signal that anyone who has a BG after 2:30pm is probably going to face some difficulties, and they should be prepared for that.

(The correct answer to surfca's question about using an FP like that is to wait for the BG and try to use the FP afterward, explaining to the CM at the FP ride what happened - high likelihood that they'll let you pass through. But I personally cancelled a Guardians FP three weeks ago when I had BG 51 because it was looking likely I was going to be called and I didn't want to walk over to DCA to have to walk all the way back. If the point of your visit is to ride ROTR, that should be your priority - the other rides will still be there for another visit.)

I was also reacting to several of the "regulars" who have been pointedly trashing DL over the course of this thread. As I said before, there are a LOT of legitimate complaints about what's going on. But it's not worth people constantly harping on DL's incompetence. It doesn't help things, it doesn't change things, it just makes everyone miserable for no useful reason.

Even if there are "Disney apologists" out there, nobody needs to try to shame them out of it.

Again, it's fine to be angry or disappointed. People will inevitably feel that way until they can get everything straightened out (and probably after that).

Hopefully, a few years from now, we'll be talking about ROTR the way that people talk about RSR.

I took the PP's response differently than you did. I think she/he was referring to your post about "Disneyland apologists".

I am not going to go back and parse the words on every post you or the PP made so I very well may be mis-remembering. But going from my sometimes faulty memory, I found that an odd description. It seemed to imply (to me) that you have an issue with people here who have pointed out (ad nausuem in this lengthy thread) that new, complicated, groundbreaking rides always seem to have similar reliability issues early on. They are saying that some who seem to be saying that the sky is falling with ROTR are exhibiting a very select and short memory. To me that has nothing to do with being a Disney apologist. It is just being realistic. And IMO objective.

A parellel sentiment is the whole idea of Boarding Groups and how BGs are being used at this time to manage the ROTR process. And whether these are fair, confusing, deficient, or in some ways a poor choice by Disney. That is subjective while the previous point was objective IMO.

I am going to be at DLR in 2 weeks for the main reason of riding ROTR. If the technology messes up and I can't ride over our two days there, I will be upset. And even if I know intellectually that the BG process is imperfect, etc., yet maybe the best of all worlds, I will still be upset.

I get why others may be upset. But if the reason others fail is that they are not paying attention (e.g., preparing), then I will not care as much. If they made a good faith attempt to prepare and the process went sideways, then I am right there with them in being upset. Same thing would happen if Disney was using standby lines for ROTR and someone showed up early and waited in line for 4-8 hours and were not able ride. That would suck.

Going back to the PP, I have not gotten a sense that the alternative opinions represent Disey apologists. I think it represents Disney realists.

:wizard:

The PP was going on about Disney employees being idiots and Disney not caring. That’s not what I was talking about. I’m also not talking about people on here who talk ad nauseam about reliability issues and how it’s normal.... everyone should expect those issues. There are several specific posts that I was thinking of when I used the term Disney apologists that really rubbed me the wrong way and seemed to blame the poster. Maybe the term Disney apologist is the wrong term. I am intentionally not being more specific, because I don’t want to get in trouble with Mods and I don’t want to start a confrontation with anyone. But I wasn’t referring to anything you just wrote, or anything the previous poster said.

I think I need a break from this thread. 🤦‍♀️

Hi! Just read through this last page.... :) lol

How about some explanation for a newbie, just found out I will be in DL this coming Thurs 27th and Fri 28th and don't know anything about riding Rise of the Resistance. What do I need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter