Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question has been asked thousands of times already, but how far in advance do you think we should plan to get to the gates? We are staying at the Best Western right across the Harbor Blvd entrance. Do you think getting over to security at 7am for an 8am opening is enough time?

I know this question has been asked thousands of times already, but how far in advance do you think we should plan to get to the gates? We are staying at the Best Western right across the Harbor Blvd entrance. Do you think getting over to security at 7am for an 8am opening is enough time?
An hour before park opening. They are opening the gates a little earlier than normal right now since the esplanade is super packed

Which day of the week? If it is a Magic Morning day, you might want to give yourself a little more time due to the MM/EMH crowds.

Been following this thread for a month before our trip so wanted to share my experience to help the community. I’d been very stressed about getting a boarding group (like many of you) and just want to say if you know what you’re doing and plan ahead, you will almost surely be totally fine! All my stress was very much unneeded, so while we of course got very lucky to get BG17 and BG19, try not to worry too much as you have all the info you need right here!

First time we tried was yesterday (Saturday). We were staying at GCH and left our room just a few minutes before 7am. Security to enter DTD was very easy, which was one of my big fears, and we were at gates by 710. They had 2 bag check lines going which helped immensely.

At the entry gates we first got in a huge line left of the gates thinking that was for EMH/MM but after a minute realized we were in the non-moving regular entry line, so scooted to the middle gates for the EMH/MM line. They really should have greeters or better signage. The EMH/MM line was halfway to DCA but moved quickly. We were inside by 725. We went and rode Mr Toad and Dumbo (no lines) and then at 750 posted up right next to the storybook canal boats and waited for 8am.

The night before I’d had my parents and sister download the app, login to my account, and showed them which buttons to press, so all in we had 5 phones going for 5 people (all iPhones, AT&T). Ended up being unnecessary as I “won” the race. I closed all apps, opened Disneyland app at 758, stayed on home screen of app until 8:00:00, hit find out more, saw the join boarding group button was gray (despite all the times I’d practiced at home it being red) so I hit my status, it refreshed for 2 seconds or so, then I hit join boarding group and confirm. Got in as BG17.

Ride opened around 830, we were called at 845 while we were eating breakfast, we got into queue around 930, 20 minute queue or so and were done by 10:05. Absolutely amazing.

Next day (Sunday) we tried again, leaving GCH around 715. They were already letting people into Main Street when we got to the gates so the lines in the middle of the gates were pretty short. We were in park by 725 again - it was actually much easier on non EMH day to get in despite us staying at GCH. This would of course be different if Disney hadn’t opened the gates well before 730 (my guess is gates were open around 710 if not earlier).

We walked around the hub trying to find good cell service but couldn’t, so decided to just head back to the GCH. My mom was nervous we needed to be in the park but I assured her it didn’t matter. Found a good spot in DTD (outside Catal) with great cell service so waited there for 8am next to another couple. This time my fiancée won the race, getting BG19. She apparently got the red join boarding group button while I again got a gray button and had to hit my status, which took a few seconds to refresh, so dear fiancee beat me. The other couple nearby for BG33 so force was with that spot outside Catal in DTD.

My dad was first to announce “I got it” but actually had not hit confirm (he was on the “select members of your party” screen) so even if someone in your group claims they have it, don’t stop until you see the message that you’ve already joined a BG. And make sure you keep clicking until you seen the confirmation and droid!

Ride opened a little later on Sunday, closer to 9. BG19 got called around 920, but by the time we got there the ride was down (around 10am). We went and rode Winnie the Pooh, then Pirates, when we saw it was back up around 10:45. We went back to ride, and the line was a bit longer than the prior day, presumably due to the backlog from the downtime, but it still took no more than 30 minutes to get through the queue and to the preshow.

The ride is absolutely fantastic, a true experience. My fiancée and parents who had no idea what to expect couldn’t believe it. I’d heard some high level details but still was amazed.

Key notes:
- GCH security line was fine at 7am. Seems like they added staff vs some earlier reports.
- head toward the middle of the entry gates, less crowded than the edges. Especially true on EMH/MM days.
- be ready to hit my status button if Join Boarding Group isn’t red.
- make sure your tickets are all linked properly (try booking a maxpass). If you do that and have decent cell service you should be totally fine
- It’s worth it to keep avoiding spoilers if you haven’t ridden yet!
- try not to stress! If you know what you’re doing, you’ll be fine.

Been following this thread for a month before our trip so wanted to share my experience to help the community. I’d been very stressed about getting a boarding group (like many of you) and just want to say if you know what you’re doing and plan ahead, you will almost surely be totally fine! All my stress was very much unneeded, so while we of course got very lucky to get BG17 and BG19, try not to worry too much as you have all the info you need right here!

First time we tried was yesterday (Saturday). We were staying at GCH and left our room just a few minutes before 7am. Security to enter DTD was very easy, which was one of my big fears, and we were at gates by 710. They had 2 bag check lines going which helped immensely.

At the entry gates we first got in a huge line left of the gates thinking that was for EMH/MM but after a minute realized we were in the non-moving regular entry line, so scooted to the middle gates for the EMH/MM line. They really should have greeters or better signage. The EMH/MM line was halfway to DCA but moved quickly. We were inside by 725. We went and rode Mr Toad and Dumbo (no lines) and then at 750 posted up right next to the storybook canal boats and waited for 8am.

The night before I’d had my parents and sister download the app, login to my account, and showed them which buttons to press, so all in we had 5 phones going for 5 people (all iPhones, AT&T). Ended up being unnecessary as I “won” the race. I closed all apps, opened Disneyland app at 758, stayed on home screen of app until 8:00:00, hit find out more, saw the join boarding group button was gray (despite all the times I’d practiced at home it being red) so I hit my status, it refreshed for 2 seconds or so, then I hit join boarding group and confirm. Got in as BG17.

Ride opened around 830, we were called at 845 while we were eating breakfast, we got into queue around 930, 20 minute queue or so and were done by 10:05. Absolutely amazing.

Next day (Sunday) we tried again, leaving GCH around 715. They were already letting people into Main Street when we got to the gates so the lines in the middle of the gates were pretty short. We were in park by 725 again - it was actually much easier on non EMH day to get in despite us staying at GCH. This would of course be different if Disney hadn’t opened the gates well before 730 (my guess is gates were open around 710 if not earlier).

We walked around the hub trying to find good cell service but couldn’t, so decided to just head back to the GCH. My mom was nervous we needed to be in the park but I assured her it didn’t matter. Found a good spot in DTD (outside Catal) with great cell service so waited there for 8am next to another couple. This time my fiancée won the race, getting BG19. She apparently got the red join boarding group button while I again got a gray button and had to hit my status, which took a few seconds to refresh, so dear fiancee beat me. The other couple nearby for BG33 so force was with that spot outside Catal in DTD.

My dad was first to announce “I got it” but actually had not hit confirm (he was on the “select members of your party” screen) so even if someone in your group claims they have it, don’t stop until you see the message that you’ve already joined a BG. And make sure you keep clicking until you seen the confirmation and droid!

Ride opened a little later on Sunday, closer to 9. BG19 got called around 920, but by the time we got there the ride was down (around 10am). We went and rode Winnie the Pooh, then Pirates, when we saw it was back up around 10:45. We went back to ride, and the line was a bit longer than the prior day, presumably due to the backlog from the downtime, but it still took no more than 30 minutes to get through the queue and to the preshow.

The ride is absolutely fantastic, a true experience. My fiancée and parents who had no idea what to expect couldn’t believe it. I’d heard some high level details but still was amazed.

Key notes:
- GCH security line was fine at 7am. Seems like they added staff vs some earlier reports.
- head toward the middle of the entry gates, less crowded than the edges. Especially true on EMH/MM days.
- be ready to hit my status button if Join Boarding Group isn’t red.
- make sure your tickets are all linked properly (try booking a maxpass). If you do that and have decent cell service you should be totally fine
- It’s worth it to keep avoiding spoilers if you haven’t ridden yet!
I knew what I was doing; I wasn’t fine.

just want to say if you know what you’re doing and plan ahead, you will almost surely be totally fine!
Well... yes and no. It’s great that it worked for you, but that’s not how it goes for everyone who “knows what they’re doing.”

I think that the majority of people who are prepared/have researched do get decent BGs; however, we’ve seen plenty of people post here that in spite of doing everything “right,” they have not gotten a guaranteed BG. And I know people IRL who have also missed out due to app crashes and things of that nature - not due to any lack of preparation or knowledge.

I think this is worth pointing out because
A) People need to be realistic to avoid disappointment if they do miss a BG in spite of preparing well.
B) There’s sort of an implication that people who don’t get BGs did something “wrong” or “didn’t know what they were doing,” and that’s not really fair to them.

I get the good intentions of wanting to de-stress people! And I’d generally say that informed people, in groups with multiple phones, do have very high odds of getting an early group... but there are some caveats.

They have to work through a bunch of FP too given out for the extended shutdown. I'm hoping they will punch through to the low hundred but will see how this next hour progresses.

Agree that even the well knowledged still remain beholden to the Gremlins in the mde app. If one has several phones and iPads or whatever screens for backup, this is the time to employ them in case of no boarding option or a fatal crash error

In summary, today:

4:30 get up
5:10 leave house
6:50 arrive toy story, minimal line of cars, 4-5 rows of lot filled, no wait for buses
7:10 arrive Harbor security, mass of people but relatively short and quick lines.
7:25? In the park, turnstile lines to monorail but moved quickly

Got a fastpass to make sure we were all properly scanned in, wandered around Main Street looking decent speeds. Ended up at flag pole, group 17.

9:15 group called while in line for Casey Jr, then went to Space to use fastpass before heading to ROTR.

9:40ish Once we got there, the ride was down, so we headed to Pooh. By then it was raining pretty good and we ended up huddled under an overhang by pooh corner waiting for it to come back up.

10:30ish headed back to ROTR, very wet but the line was mostly a walk through.

11:20 off ride, headed to Indy then over to DCA for Lunar New Year and then eventually home. We were back home before 5, which is definitely a new record. Super happy but super wet lol.

Well... yes and no. It’s great that it worked for you, but that’s not how it goes for everyone who “knows what they’re doing.”

I think that the majority of people who are prepared/have researched do get decent BGs; however, we’ve seen plenty of people post here that in spite of doing everything “right,” they have not gotten a guaranteed BG. And I know people IRL who have also missed out due to app crashes and things of that nature - not due to any lack of preparation or knowledge.

I think this is worth pointing out because
A) People need to be realistic to avoid disappointment if they do miss a BG in spite of preparing well.
B) There’s sort of an implication that people who don’t get BGs did something “wrong” or “didn’t know what they were doing,” and that’s not really fair to them.

I get the good intentions of wanting to de-stress people! And I’d generally say that informed people, in groups with multiple phones, do have very high odds of getting an early group... but there are some caveats.

Gotta agree with 1999 - we were prepared too and have ridden this a lot in WDW too (thankfully not as time sensitive) and had both myself and wife on our own phones doing all the tips etc and even in different places and still got a backup group.

Our experience was that we were able to get BG29 on Saturday. Loved the ride! Went back on Saturday and went through gates to Disneyland. Decided we would try from California Adventure so we started to get scanned in over there also. A worker at the gates then told us we wouldn't be able to get BG's from over there since it would log us out from Disneyland. We decided not to risk it so we rushed back in the Disneyland lines again with a few minutes to spare. We were lucky to get BG39. Actually loved the ride more the second time than the first time. Hopefully the lines will die down before we are able to go again in May or June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter