Ride Chicken looking for ride advice

thegameksk

Earning My Ears
I am looking for ride advice. I have been to Universal in Florida and Hollywood. In Florida (1st ever visit) I did all simulators (Kong wasnt open yet), Forbidden journey, and Gringotts. I was fine on everything. Only the beginning of Gringotts really bothered me. When they turn the track and drop you I was petrified. I hate the stomach feeling. In Hollywood I did all the simulators, Forbidden Journey, and flight of the hippogriff. I want to try a new ride but dont know what I should try. The new Harry Potter ride looks like too much. idk how ill take the straight backwards drop. Ive been watching alot of Mummy youtube videos and am thinking of trying that. Does it give you the stomach feeling? Looking for any ride advice! Thanks!

I used to feel the same way you do, but I have slowly (over years) worked my way up to doing all of the coaster type rides at Universal (I've only done the Jurassic Park water ride, because I don't like getting drenched)...this year I even rode Rip Ride Rocket for the first time! I will say this about The Mummy: it IS a coaster. There may be some slow/show parts between the coaster parts, but there are small drops...it will FEEL more intense (like the Gringott's drop, which is very small, actually) because it's dark, but the track has more emphasis on banking turns instead of straight on drops. I LOVE the ride, but I did not like it the first time I rode it. You go backwards for a very short time, which also contains a very small drop (more like a dip), so be aware of that. As far as Hagrid's coaster, no major drops without banking (curving), and the straight-up into the backwards part isn't bad the further back you are. The main focus on that coaster is speed. It slows then launches 7 times. I was nervous the first time, but rode it two more times and LOVE it now as well. I also despise straight down drops (like Tower of Terror), but the drop on Hagrid's in the Devil's Snare part is so very minor it didn't bother me at all. The anticipation is what kills me before I ride any coaster. Once I've done it, I realize it is never as bad as I thought it would be. After saying all this, I must admit, I will NEVER ride any coaster outside of Universal or Disney World - these are my threshold rides!

If you can handle Gringotts you should be able to handle the Mummy. The main difference between the two (other than the fact that it has a launch and it goes backwards briefly, perhaps only 10, maybe 20 feet) is that the duration of the roller coaster is much longer, where as the two Gringott's roller coaster segments are much shorter.

Then from there Hagrid's is an amped up version of that due to the duration of the backwards segment being much longer and there being several launches.

As @autismmom1 said it's probably the anticipation more than anything. Also, unknowing what is going to happen is part of that as well. For example, the beginning part of Gringott's petrified me the first time I went on it. However, if you pay attention once you disappear into the darkness you do not keep dropping, but rather go forward, before the coaster does it's thing with it's twists, drips, and turns. That being said, I'm not a huge drop fan, but I have been able to easily do all the coasters for quite a few years now. It's about knowing what's happening, being prepared for it, and after awhile you get desensitized to it.

I'm a certified ride chicken. I won't ride the big coasters (Hulk, RRR, either of the HP coasters). I also won't ride the Simpsons or Jimmy Fallon (both make me sick). Other than that, I ride everything. There are parts of the simulator rides where I need to close my eyes (like the down part on Spiderman), but I can keep them open for most of it. I can do the Mummy, but only once a day.

The Gringott's drop still unnerves me at first, and then I realize it's a lot shorter than I thought. I am only bothered by forward drops, not backward ones. I don't think Mummy has a drop bigger than Gringott's, but it does have a launch. I think the anticipation of the Gringott's drop bothers me more than any drop on Mummy. The Mummy drops are continuous roller coaster drops, except for a very short backwards roll. Mummy is one of my favorite rides at UO. I have only ridden Hagrid's once from the side car. I don't think the drops were very big. It's more like side rolls, kind of a bigger/larger version of the side rolls on Flight of the Hippogriff. There is the one straight down drop on Hagrids, but it's actually really short. It's also a true drop, ie completely vertical, as opposed to the track going down a drop. I like Hagrid's and didn't feel it was too intense.

I used to feel the same way you do, but I have slowly (over years) worked my way up to doing all of the coaster type rides at Universal (I've only done the Jurassic Park water ride, because I don't like getting drenched)...this year I even rode Rip Ride Rocket for the first time! I will say this about The Mummy: it IS a coaster. There may be some slow/show parts between the coaster parts, but there are small drops...it will FEEL more intense (like the Gringott's drop, which is very small, actually) because it's dark, but the track has more emphasis on banking turns instead of straight on drops. I LOVE the ride, but I did not like it the first time I rode it. You go backwards for a very short time, which also contains a very small drop (more like a dip), so be aware of that. As far as Hagrid's coaster, no major drops without banking (curving), and the straight-up into the backwards part isn't bad the further back you are. The main focus on that coaster is speed. It slows then launches 7 times. I was nervous the first time, but rode it two more times and LOVE it now as well. I also despise straight down drops (like Tower of Terror), but the drop on Hagrid's in the Devil's Snare part is so very minor it didn't bother me at all. The anticipation is what kills me before I ride any coaster. Once I've done it, I realize it is never as bad as I thought it would be. After saying all this, I must admit, I will NEVER ride any coaster outside of Universal or Disney World - these are my threshold rides!

I was terrified when they slanted the track in Gringotts. I just closed my eyes and told me wife "This was a mistake" lol. I dont even know how bad the actual drop was because I was so terrified when they slanted the track. Im hoping to be brave enough to at least try the Mummy but idk. lol

If you can handle Gringotts you should be able to handle the Mummy. The main difference between the two (other than the fact that it has a launch and it goes backwards briefly, perhaps only 10, maybe 20 feet) is that the duration of the roller coaster is much longer, where as the two Gringott's roller coaster segments are much shorter.

Then from there Hagrid's is an amped up version of that due to the duration of the backwards segment being much longer and there being several launches.

As @autismmom1 said it's probably the anticipation more than anything. Also, unknowing what is going to happen is part of that as well. For example, the beginning part of Gringott's petrified me the first time I went on it. However, if you pay attention once you disappear into the darkness you do not keep dropping, but rather go forward, before the coaster does it's thing with it's twists, drips, and turns. That being said, I'm not a huge drop fan, but I have been able to easily do all the coasters for quite a few years now. It's about knowing what's happening, being prepared for it, and after awhile you get desensitized to it.

I hate the stomach feeling. I was having that once they slanted the track in Gringotts.

I am not a roller coaster fan, and I love mummy and even Hagrids. I find Grigots not even that fast. Only real speed is at start and end. I find Hagrids a very smooth ride. Even enjoyed the bike, though I never thought I would. Just plain fun, all three rides. And no, I will not do Hulk or RRR.

Hello, all! I figured this thread might be the best place to ask my question since I, too, am a chicken but not necessarily for thrill rides. I love coasters! My problem is that I’m extremely terrified of spiders. (So much so that I cannot even handle It’s Tough to be a Bug in Disney.) I’m going to US/IOA for the first time next summer. I’ve heard there is a portion of the Forbidden Journey ride that involves spiders. o_O I haven’t watched any videos nor have I seen any pictures of the ride—assuming there are any. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect? Seriously, I am petrified of them. Are we talking spider animatronics? Digital screens? How in-your-face are they? AKA how long do I need to keep my eyes shut?:laughing:

Hello, all! I figured this thread might be the best place to ask my question since I, too, am a chicken but not necessarily for thrill rides. I love coasters! My problem is that I’m extremely terrified of spiders. (So much so that I cannot even handle It’s Tough to be a Bug in Disney.) I’m going to US/IOA for the first time next summer. I’ve heard there is a portion of the Forbidden Journey ride that involves spiders. o_O I haven’t watched any videos nor have I seen any pictures of the ride—assuming there are any. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect? Seriously, I am petrified of them. Are we talking spider animatronics? Digital screens? How in-your-face are they? AKA how long do I need to keep my eyes shut?:laughing:
They are definitely prominent in the ride, but just for one section. It's immediately following the part where the dragon blows steam on the bench...the robotic arm swoops you into the next "scene" and there is a spider animatronic first thing. This whole section is filled with "webs" and spiders. It's also the section where your photo is taken (right after Herminone says something to you, I forget what exactly)...it's at least half a minute to a minute long. Also, there's a part in The Mummy where a projection of scarab beetles swarm the wall in front of your ride car, I don't know if that would bother you, but I thought I'd mention it!

I was terrified when they slanted the track in Gringotts. I just closed my eyes and told me wife "This was a mistake" lol. I dont even know how bad the actual drop was because I was so terrified when they slanted the track. Im hoping to be brave enough to at least try the Mummy but idk. lol
If you are sitting in the front car, in the very front, you can see where the track dips when you're tilted, which made it waaaaay less scary for me...it really IS a very small drop. If you're sitting in the back, all you see is a black hole...super intimidating!

They are definitely prominent in the ride, but just for one section. It's immediately following the part where the dragon blows steam on the bench...the robotic arm swoops you into the next "scene" and there is a spider animatronic first thing. This whole section is filled with "webs" and spiders. It's also the section where your photo is taken (right after Herminone says something to you, I forget what exactly)...it's at least half a minute to a minute long. Also, there's a part in The Mummy where a projection of scarab beetles swarm the wall in front of your ride car, I don't know if that would bother you, but I thought I'd mention it!

I’m not going to lie... I got anxiety just reading your response. Lol. But you are a life saver!!! I really want to ride this and not let my fear keep me from doing so, especially knowing they’re not real. But geeze that sounds terrifying! Thanks for giving me a heads up!

I’m not going to lie... I got anxiety just reading your response. Lol. But you are a life saver!!! I really want to ride this and not let my fear keep me from doing so, especially knowing they’re not real. But geeze that sounds terrifying! Thanks for giving me a heads up!
No problem! It is a fantastic attraction and so much fun, I would hate for any Harry Potter lover to miss out! I tried watching a POV video to nail it down for you, but they're really grainy...the best I can tell, wait about 3 seconds after Hermione says, "Watch out for the whomping willow!" and you'll be clear.

I'm just posting because I want to follow this thread. We're going to UO for the first time ever in a few weeks! AND I'm not the best with rides :scared1:

I am looking for ride advice. I have been to Universal in Florida and Hollywood. In Florida (1st ever visit) I did all simulators (Kong wasnt open yet), Forbidden journey, and Gringotts. I was fine on everything. Only the beginning of Gringotts really bothered me. When they turn the track and drop you I was petrified. I hate the stomach feeling. In Hollywood I did all the simulators, Forbidden Journey, and flight of the hippogriff. I want to try a new ride but dont know what I should try. The new Harry Potter ride looks like too much. idk how ill take the straight backwards drop. Ive been watching alot of Mummy youtube videos and am thinking of trying that. Does it give you the stomach feeling? Looking for any ride advice! Thanks!

Now that you know the Gringott's first drop isn't much of a drop at all, would riding it again give you the same anxiety?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter