Rian Johnson to Write and Direct 'Star Wars: Episode VIII

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From Huffington Post:

Rian Johnson to Write and Direct 'Star Wars: Episode VIII
Posted June 20th, 2014 3:30PM
by Drew Taylor

Well, this is both shocking and truly amazing: "Looper" writer-director Rian Johnson, known for his esoteric, often existential low-budget genre movies, has been handed the keys to the biggest franchise in the galaxy. That's right: he's going to write and direct "Star Wars: Episode VIII" and write the treatment for the ninth film as well (early reports, from Deadline, that he would write and direct both, have been debunked by The Hollywood Reporter and The Wrap). While Johnson didn't comment on the news, he did post a clip from "The Right Stuff" that perfectly captures his state of mind.

This is a really great move by Disney and Lucasfilm. Johnson is a ridiculously talented director, having only directed three very small films: the high school-set film noir "Brick," the crime caper comedy "The Brothers Bloom," and the slightly larger time travel thriller "Looper" (starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt), which was Johnson's biggest box office hit to date and had the largest budget. With that film Johnson proved himself to be a filmmaker who could handle complicated visual effects while putting the story front and center. It's a wonderful, dizzyingly clever film and if anyone wants to know why our excitement for the "Star Wars" franchise just spiked, all they need to do is watch it.

With this announcement, Disney is clearing up some dangling question marks for the franchise: namely, would Abrams return to the franchise after completing work on "Star Wars: Episode VII," which is currently filming around the world. The answer: no, no he is not. (We have a feeling that Johnson may still be swayed to direct the ninth film, even if he's not officially attached right now.) Johnson joins the ranks of the recently assembled "Star Wars" dream team, which now includes "Godzilla" filmmaker Gareth Edwards and "Chronicle" director Josh Trank, who have both been contracted to helm one of the stand alone "spin-off" movies that will exist in between canonical installments.

Honestly, this is an absolutely wonderful sign of the franchise heading in the right direction, with clear leadership and a commitment to creative excellence. This is very good news, indeed.

"Star Wars: Episode VII," which features original stars Harrison "I Broke My Leg!" Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill, along with new cast members John Boyega, Lupita Nyong'o, Daisy Ridley, Gwendoline Christie, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, and Domhall Gleeson (who we saw at a party the other night and just said: "I'm really excited about 'Star Wars!'"), will be released on December 18th, 2015.

What is this: "...who have both been contracted to helm one of the stand alone "spin-off" movies that will exist in between canonical installments."

What is this: "...who have both been contracted to helm one of the stand alone "spin-off" movies that will exist in between canonical installments."

Disney/LucasFilm is going to produce stand alone Star Wars films that will not be connected to the main story line. These films will be released between episodes VII and IX. It's rumored that the first three films will focus on Yoda, Han Solo, and Boba Fett. The first film should be out sometimes in 2016. It has not been announced which character will be featured in the first of the stand alone films.

Disney Going All In On 'Star Wars' With Another Spin-Off Movie Announcement: http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...ars-with-another-spin-off-movie-announcement/

That might explain why I saw smaller Lego games based on the Star Wars universe just the other day.

Abrams isn't staying? I wonder about that.

Yariv said:
Can anyone guess why J.J. Abrams is off the project?

I don't really understand. He seems like the perfect director for the task, the Steven Spielberg of our time. Once the new movies take off it would hard to understand why someone should follow in his foot steps so soon.

Maybe he wants back to direct the new Star Trek movies, but it doesn't make sense. I truly believe someone else can handle the Star Trek movies after he established the first two. Directors such as Brat Bird could do a terrific job and they both collaborated on the Mission: Impossible movie.

Johnson's Looper is nice, but I don't see how his style fits Star Wars.

To sum it up, I hope it's just a false rumor.

Johnson's agent confirmed it. My sci fi geek friends say he's good. Abrams was only hired to do the first movie. Two years between movies is a little tight for one director. Didn't the Harry Potter movies do this too.

Johnson's agent confirmed it. My sci fi geek friends say he's good. Abrams was only hired to do the first movie. Two years between movies is a little tight for one director. Didn't the Harry Potter movies do this too.

Eh, sort of. Chris Columbus did the first three movies, then Alfonso Cuarón directed the Goblet of Fire. Mike Newell had the one after that, then the franchise belonged to David Yates until the final film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter