Review of the Rose and Crown Dining Room

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
After Blizzard Beach, Mike and I decided to head over to Epcot to see a presentation on vegetable gardens and to possibly meet up with two of our friends. One of the friends was sick and had to go home early, so we decided to stay and see the presentation and possibly eat dinner. We wandered over to the UK pavillion to see if the Pub was still closed (it is, until July 4 2004). While we were there, we looked over the menu for the Rose and Crown Dining Room, noticed that it wasn't TOO much more than a standard restaurant and said, why not, and made priority seatings for 5pm. We went back to listen to the presentation, and returned to the UK at 4:30. Mike watched a show in the streets while I checked out the shops. At 4:50 we went over to the podium, checked in, and requested an outdoor seat. We were sat on the lower tier of the "porch," with a table between us and the water. Our table would have been great for Illuminations, if there weren't bushes on a little "island" in the water right in front of us.

We sat down and discussed the menu before our server, Jamie, arrived. He was incredibly friendly and talkative, and actually convinced Mike to order an alcoholic beverage, which he never does when he goes out. I ordered the Welsh Dragon, and Mike ordered the English Rose, just to be different. The drinks arrived, brightly colored. I had had the Welsh Dragon in the past, but it was much better this time, with a noticeable mint flavor (the ingredients included pineapple juice, Midori, and creme de menthe). Mike's English Rose (including gin, apricot juice, vermouth, cranberry juice) was not overly fruity, and he said that it tasted "just right." Neither were too strong, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

We decided to split the Mushroom Medley, and Mike ordered the Harry Ramsden's Fish and Chips (apparently a lot of people think that these are Lays potato chips, according to Jamie), and I ordered the English Pie Sampler with chips instead of green beans. I hate green beans, even though many people have said the green beans inthe World are very good. Jamie brought us out potato rolls with honey butter, which were delicious. Mike raved about them, even. The honey butter was interesting, it seemed that there were tiny pockets of honey which opened up when the butter was spread on the bread. The only thing that could improve the rolls would be for them to be either warm or hot - they were lukewarm to cold. Later during our meal, we were discussing various restaurants around the World with Jamie, and he told us that the rolls here were baked in downtown Orlando.

Soon after, our Mushroom Medley arrived. It was brought out in a bowl with two spoons, and a triangle of seasoned puff pastry on top. The mushrooms were large, fresh, and delicious. The cream sauce they were in was reminiscent of a homemade cream of mushroom soup. The puff pastry went very well with the mushrooms, though it could have been a lot larger! The dish needed a touch of salt, and would have been perfect if there was just a bit more garlic. But then again, we are garlic fiends. We used the last of our bread to sop up the extra cream.

Our entrees arrived soon after. Mike's fish and chips was presented as a single HUGE piece of battered fish, with chips, tartar sauce, and ketchup. Thankfully there was malt vinegar already on the table. Later, as we were leaving, we noticed that other tables had HP sauce, and we wished we had asked for some! I don't like fish, but Mike said that the fish was very flaky and tender, with a light and not greasy batter - he said it was perfect. The chips on both of our plates left something to be desired. They resembled American french fries more than other chips that we've had in the past at other English/Irish restaurants, and were just solidly average. Mike loved the peas, though. They were fresh and sweet, with no noticeable extra butter, if there was even any used.

My pie sampler looked delicious. It consisted of pork pie, cottage pie, and chicken and leek pie. The pork pie was completely encased in a round-ish dark brown pastry, with a terrific brown gravy on top. Inside the pork was ground, and in a round ball. I couldn't tell exactly what kind of herbs and spices were in it, though. This was definitely my favorite of the three, and I could have made a meal out of a larger portion. Next was the cottage pie. This consisted of ground beef and carrots, topped with piped mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. There was a bit of grease on top of the cheddar cheese, but it still tasted good. I don't eat beef, so this was a little unusual for me, but the pie was very good as well. I didn't finish this one as I was too full at the end. The chicken and leek pie was last, and was very interestingly shaped. It appeared to be a round flaky pastry that was pinched up like a purse. There was a delicious creamy sauce on top, and inside were chunks of chicken and what I think was celery. It would have been better with more leeks in it, and the pastry was slightly tough at the top, but flaky and tender at the bottom. It's my own fault, but I wish I had ordered a different vegetable instead of the chips. They were the only slightly disappointing part of the meal.

We had saved just a bit of room for dessert, and we ordered the sticky toffee pudding after hearing so much about it. I had my camera on the table when Jamie brought out the dessert, and he asked if we wanted our picture taken. I then told him about my website-to-be, and the three of us started discussing restaurants around the World. He told us that his favorite restaurant in the entire resort was Boma, and that he was returning this Friday with his parents. We asked about Artist Point, and he raved about it. He also said that he really enjoyed the Rose and Crown, and that his favorite dessert was the Irish Creme Brulee. By this time, we had been talking for about 20-30 minutes! He had to get back to work at that point, but after his recommendation, I ordered the creme brulee. It was fantastic - the caramelized sugar was perfect, and the custard was dense and sweet. There were noticeable vanilla bean specks in the custard, and thankfully the Bailey's flavor wasn't very strong, it just gave it an interesting flavor. The sticky toffee pudding was also wonderful. It was a steamed pudding that resembled a mini bundt cake, with a butter rum sauce in the middle and it was surrounded by a vanilla custard. I can't wait to go back to order it again! The pudding was perfectly moist, and the entire dessert was not too sweet.

Our experience at the Rose and Crown was just wonderful. It was an impromptu decision that turned into a great evening, especially because the service was wonderful. If anyone is going in the near future, I recommend asking for Jamie. He gave us great advice on other restaurants around the World to try, and was great conversation. This has been one of our better dining experiences in the resort, and we will definitely return.

Edit:Yahoo photo gallery

Thank you for the terrific, detailed review! I've been considering giving the Rose & Crown a try on my next trip and I think you've convinced me! :teeth:

Thanks for the great review. We always eat at R&C on every trip, it is one of our favorites. We have had the fish & chips and pie sampler many times and always enjoyed both dishes. I just love the fact that you can eat outside in the beautiful Florida nights.

What a great review! I love the details. Thanks for posting it. I've been wanting to try this restaurant again for a long time. You made it sound so much better than I remember. I'll have to give it another try.

P.S. Did you ever get another Fiesta Margarita?

Originally posted by Tiziminchac
What a great review! I love the details. Thanks for posting it. I've been wanting to try this restaurant again for a long time. You made it sound so much better than I remember. I'll have to give it another try.

P.S. Did you ever get another Fiesta Margarita?

Thanks! It was better than the last time I went, too.

And no, I didn't get another margarita. I had that drink with dinner and the DBf convinced me to "save" my calories for next week and spread it out. Trying to lose another 20-30 lbs. Going to Disney so often makes it difficult :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great review, we have PS for Mother's Day evening - hope to catch Illuminations!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! Mom & I love it here!

Allison

Thanks for the review! I am going to have to try the sticky toffee pudding this summer. It sounds delicious!

DH & I are planning to eat there next week. We've also been trying to lose weight and thought we'd share meals to keep portion sizes small. DH loves fish so we're planning on sharing the fish and chips. You said the meal only had one piece of fish? Will there be enough to share, or should we plan on buying another entree? Also I thought it might be healthier to substitute a vegetable (like the green beans) in place of the chips. Were you charged an additional fee for your substitution?

Thank you. I enjoyed reading your review.

Originally posted by 1Venus
DH & I are planning to eat there next week. We've also been trying to lose weight and thought we'd share meals to keep portion sizes small. DH loves fish so we're planning on sharing the fish and chips. You said the meal only had one piece of fish? Will there be enough to share, or should we plan on buying another entree? Also I thought it might be healthier to substitute a vegetable (like the green beans) in place of the chips. Were you charged an additional fee for your substitution?

Thank you. I enjoyed reading your review.

The single piece of fish was very large, approximately 10-12 inches, I believe. I took pictures with a disposable camera as I'm awaiting my new digital camera in the mail, and I should have pictures by tonight. DBf considered it plenty to share. And we weren't charged anything to substitute, so substitute away! That's one of our favorite things to do, make sure we have a healthy side with a not-so-healthy entree.

Edit: here's a picture of our entrees. Warning, I haven't had a chance to resize this, so it's very large. DBf says that you might want to have a side salad in addition to the entree, or an appetizer to round it out, to make it large enough for two people.

Thanks for the review, and for the picture. It sounds like we need to head to the Rose and Crown on our next trip!

Thanks for the photograph! That IS a very large piece of fish. I think we should have no problem sharing. (Of course DH may have a different idea!) But I do think I'll add another side or appetizer as you suggested. Thanks again!

Thanks for the picture, I love to see what things look like ahead of time! DD and I will be able to share that with no problem!

As a lover of black and tans, I'm smitten with the R&C :cool: As for eating there, however, I'd only do so outside. As others have noted, it's a not-so-hidden secret that one of the best ways to watch Illuminations is to dine outside near the lake at the R&C at around 7:45 p.m. , which means you're just finishing up dinner when Illuminations starts, and you've got a prime, seated view.

I don't particularly care for indoor dining there, though. The bar is exceptionally busy, and as a result the entire establishment has that kind of sour beer smell. Not really conducive to a dinner experience that costs that much. As I said, though, I'm typically one of those at the bar contributing to the smell, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. :teeth:

One more bump - pictures added in the review. Sorry there are so few, we were relying on a disposable until my digital camera arrived.

Originally posted by rejobako
As a lover of black and tans, I'm smitten with the R&C :cool: As for eating there, however, I'd only do so outside. As others have noted, it's a not-so-hidden secret that one of the best ways to watch Illuminations is to dine outside near the lake at the R&C at around 7:45 p.m. , which means you're just finishing up dinner when Illuminations starts, and you've got a prime, seated view.

I don't particularly care for indoor dining there, though. The bar is exceptionally busy, and as a result the entire establishment has that kind of sour beer smell. Not really conducive to a dinner experience that costs that much. As I said, though, I'm typically one of those at the bar contributing to the smell, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. :teeth:
This indoor dining problem may disappear with the remodeling that is currently underway. It was reported that one of the changes would be a clear(er) separation between the dining room and the pub area. In the original configuration, there is a large opening (more even than a double doorway) with just a velvet rope separating the two areas. Another problem with this arrangement is the sound from the pub, particularly on nights when there is entertainment (nothing wrong with the entertainment itself, just that it adds to the noise level in the dining room). In any case, the new configuration may involve a solid wall.

Ralph

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter