REVAMP of Whispering Canyon Cafe BEGINS

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
1) Thea, the WL General Manager, has said in meetings that she does not like WCC.
2) The talk of a new theme for WCC has been rumored for a couple of months.
3) Although the new theme is not known, the destruction of Whispering uniqueness has started.
4) Effective Immediately:
. . . no more yelling by waitstaff (like for water or ketchup)
. . . no more tossing of straws onto the table
. . . no more throwing or waving of napkins
. . . no more "broomstick pony rides" for the little kiddies until after 10:00am

AND SO, IT BEGINS . . .
Or rather, the tear down of WL eateries continues, since the new Artist Point chef has already changed enough recipes to downgrade the AP experience. AP had made a major quality come-back after years of decline, and I even recommended it again. It is now off my personal recommended eateries list, and I have advised other folks to go elsewhere for a "Signature" meal. (Of course, the new Character Breakfast at AP might be worth a try when it starts.)

1) Thea, the WL General Manager, has said in meetings that she does not like WCC.
2) The talk of a new theme for WCC has been rumored for a couple of months.
3) Although the new theme is not known, the destruction of Whispering uniqueness has started.
4) Effective Immediately:
. . . no more yelling by waitstaff (like for water or ketchup)
. . . no more tossing of straws onto the table
. . . no more throwing or waving of napkins
. . . no more "broomstick pony rides" for the little kiddies until after 10:00am

AND SO, IT BEGINS . . .
Or rather, the tear down of WL eateries continues, since the new Artist Point chef has already changed enough recipes to downgrade the AP experience. AP had made a major quality come-back after years of decline, and I even recommended it again. It is now off my personal recommended eateries list, and I have advised other folks to go elsewhere for a "Signature" meal. (Of course, the new Character Breakfast at AP might be worth a try when it starts.)
Maybe folks who aren’t happy with this should be giving Thea a call to voice their displeasure.

Ugh. Last August, my DS requested to eat at WCC three times because he had so much fun. We had the same server each time and each day the playfulness and silly stuff increased a bit, because my son loved it so much. It was never obnoxious or rude, just fun. Small mason jars of water, lots of straws and napkins, a huge tablecloth as a bib and, of course, ketchup. It's what made WCC so unique. Honestly, the food isn't great, so the kitsch and antics kind of made up for it!

I'll have to disagree with you on AP! We've eaten there about 4 times and our best meal there was on our last trip in Dec. 2017. It was head-and-shoulders above all other signatures we experienced on that trip.

This is disappointing. We have eaten at WCC a few times when we needed a meal that would apply to pretty basic tastes for a large group, but that was still good food, and everyone always enjoyed it. I never minded the antics to be honest and I won't eat in the 50s dining room because of the antics there.

I totally disagree about AP though, we were just there last month and it was a great meal, everything we had was delicious. We hadn't been back in a few years because we didn't love our first meal there, but our most recent experience was top notch.

Very interesting news. Noticed AP reservations are not yet available for early November. Just late to load or possibly related to character meal changes?

Why would Disney hire a GM to work at a restaurant that they do not like? I'm very sad about these changes. Any clue where WC fans can voice their concerns. As with most things the negative feedback must have been greater than the positive.

Actually we had a delicious meal at AP on our October trip while the meal we had there in 2013 was not very good. I've always thought having that loud restaurant off the lobby was a mistake anyway since WL is considered a deluxe resort. If it was located somewhere else in the resort, it would make more sense. I kind of wonder if that's the reason why it's being toned down. I've stayed at WL twice and will again in about 11 days and the noise does grate on you if your spending anytime in the lobby area or in the sitting areas on the floor levels. I can hardly complain because I don't care for noisy restaurants anyway :duck:and I don't know yet what the changes will be.

I more upset about the FOF Dragon catching fire.:sad1:

Last edited:
Why would Disney hire a GM to work at a restaurant that they do not like?

1) She is the GM for the hotel, not just the restaurant.
2) Maybe, WDW wants a lot more revenue from WCC, and this is her goal?
3) But,
. . . it takes too long to commute from MK for a lunch or afternoon break
. . . one EMK days, the eater opens too late for folks who want to get to any of the parks
. . . there are too many other dinner options than to come back to WCC for dinner
4) So, other than the AP Character Breakfast, how does one increase revenue for WL or WCC?

And when will it be starting?
5) No dates as of yet for the AP Character Breakfast

We loved our meal at Artist Point last month. Looking forward to going again for dinner, and to trying the new character breakfast when it's available.

Why would Disney hire a GM to work at a restaurant that they do not like? I'm very sad about these changes. Any clue where WC fans can voice their concerns. As with most things the negative feedback must have been greater than the positive.

Would like to know also the best person to email, as our kids loved the antics, and had recommended it to many others, and have friends going this fall that will cancel after they hear this. They should hear that many enjoyed it, and they will lose business as this made it unique, and a reason to make the trip over to WL. There should be an option to choose not to participate, which could easily be accomodated, but changing it completely makes no sense.

I'm interested in the idea of a character breakfast at AP. If one starts before our trip later this year we may have to give it a try.

3) But,
. . . it takes too long to commute from MK for a lunch or afternoon break
. . . there are too many other dinner options than to come back to WCC for dinner

I disagree. It is no more difficult to get to WL than it is to get to say AK Lodge and eat at Boma, Jiko, or Sanaa, and there are "too many" options everywhere, if anything I would think that would be a reason to keep the more unique antics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter