Return of the Zombie Pre-Trip Report: October 3-8, 2010 (Updated 9/15, Completed!)

So, since my last post I've managed to finish my costume for MNSSHP. I'm going to be updating with pictures of the complete costume either later tonight or tomorrow (I have to have Nigel work the camera, so we need to sync our schedules), but for now I figured I'd regale you with a picture of the completed bodice.

aviharness1.jpg

The rest of the outfit consists of the previously pictured bloomers/shorts, the previously pictured aviator's cap and goggles, the blouse you see here, a pair of cream crocheted tights, knee-high brown leather boots, and a few random accessories/jewelry bits. I'm looking forward to doing the dress rehearsal tonight, as I'll also be wearing this costume--and another one I'm currently working on--as part of a professional photoshoot this coming weekend. So excited!

Beyond that, the date of my WDW vacation is really sneaking up on me, so I'd best get to finishing this PTR before we leave! Next up is our Day Three, or Epcot itinerary. Please let me know what you think!

Tuesday, October 4th: Epcot
Get up at 7:00 AM and eat breakfast in room
Head to Epcot for Extra Magic Hours
Head to the Land Pavilion
  • Get fastpass or ride Soarin'
  • Ride Living With the Land
Cross to Mission Space
  • Get fastpass for or ride Mission Space
  • Get fastpass for or ride Test Track
Head back to Spaceship Earth
  • Ride Spaceship Earth
Head to the Seas Pavilion
  • Ride the Seas With Nemo and Friends
  • See Turtle Talk With Crush
  • Explore the Seas
Cross to the Imagination Pavilion
  • Ride Journey Into Imagination if desired
Explore Innoventions East and West
Head to Mexico in the World Showcase
  • Ride Gran Fiesta if desired
Continue to Norway
  • Ride Maelstrom
Continue around the World Showcase, eating from Food & Wine kiosks as we go!
Eat dinner at 6:45 PM at San Angel Inn
Find a spot for IllumiNations in Mexico after dinner

You may have noticed that my reservation for San Angel Inn has changed. That's because I was finally able to get an ADR before 8:00 PM. I'm still sort of ambivalent about eating there, especially since we'll be grazing from the Food & Wine festival stands all day, but Kate really wanted to eat there so I'm keeping the reservation. If it happens that we thing we're too full for a TS meal the day we're there, I'll cancel the reservation.

It has definitely been a while since I last updated. Partially, this is because the fall semester started a couple of weeks ago and I've been busy with classes and adjusting my schedule. I've also been sewing like mad for myself and other people since Dragon*Con was this past weekend. Now, with the con behind me, and a couple of days to recover for both my mental and physical health, I'm ready to move forward to our vacation... which is now less than a month away! :banana:

So let's see... as of my last update, I had completed my costume for MNSSHP and promised you pictures. Well, I definitely have some pictures for you!
aviatrix2.jpg

aviatrix1.jpg

These were taken at a steampunk-themed photoshoot by Apple of AppleBlossom Photography. In case you missed my picture in the introductory post, that's me in the middle in the first one, and on the left in the second. And, yup, that's the costume I'll be wearing to MNSSHP, minus the wings.

I also managed to finish Nigel's costume in time, but only have pictures of it on the dressform for the moment. We did a photoshoot at Dragon*Con, but those pictures will take a while to surface. Here's something to tide you over, though: the Hook coat and hat--minus a few buttons.
hook2.jpg

Beyond completing our costumes for MNSSHP, we've also gathered a few "supplies" for the trip. We've purchased our (4-day, no park hopping) tickets from Undercover Tourist at the old reduced rate, which saved us a bundle. I also just bought our tickets for MNSSHP, so we're set for both parks and party. Nigel and I have also invested in new pairs of shoes: a pair of Airwalk sneakers for him and a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups for me.

I wasn't having much luck finding the Fitflops in my area. The places that carried them, inevitably, didn't have them in stock in my size, so I finally broke down and purchased the Shape Ups. I can't say I've regretted my decision, because I can wear these things forever and they are probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

Our next purchase is going to be a cooler, which we will fill with food and drinks for the ride down, and for the fridge in the hotel room. We're planning on eating a cold breakfast in the room (bagels, cereal, muffins, etc.) to help save money on food. The cooler will be necessary to keep everything fresh on the 8-hour ride down, however.

So that's what's been going on with our trip planning lately. I'll add the itineraries for Wednesday, October 6th, and Thursday, October 7th soon!

So this is going to be a crazy-long update, which is sort of all over the place, so bear with me! We're less than three weeks out from our trip, so we're hammering out all the fine details. And, I have been very busy with school, so I've only been able to do most things in snatches. Thus, the reason for my scatterbrain posting. :rotfl:

Remember I promised you pictures of Nigel's Steampunk Captain Hook costume for MNSSHP? Well, Rebecca of River Critter Designs and Photography was kind enough to do a photoshoot with the costumes for us and here is one of the results:
panhook2.jpg

I made the coat, hat and vest Nigel is wearing in the picture. He made the hook himself, but I'm a little concerned they won't let us take it through the gates. The hook part of the 'hook' is actually made out of metal. It's several inches thick and not even remotely sharp, but I realized they might consider it a weapon. Which means, we may have to buy him a little costume hook or something while we're down there. Nigel will be disappointed, but it's better than not being let into the park!

In other news, I finally purchased the cooler that we will be using on the trip to transport the breakfast/snack food/drinks down to Florida. It's fairly compact, but deep, so it should hold a good amount. I also suggested that we use it to transport our souvenirs when it's empty, on the way back. Now, the only thing I have left to buy for the trip is actual food. But I'm going to wait until the Saturday before we leave to do that.

And, because I'm running out of time to put all of these up, you get a bonus itinerary for Disney's Hollywood Studios! Notice I did not say Islands of Adventure. Nigel and I talked it over and he decided he would much rather wait until the crowds die down for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter than try to attempt it on this trip. Yes, it's yet another change to the itinerary! At this point, they're getting to be old hat. ;)

Wednesday, October 6th: Disney's Hollywood Studios
Get up @ 8:00 AM
Eat breakfast in room
Visit Disney's Hollywood Studios
Walk toward Sorcerer Hat
Turn right in front of Sorcerer Hat onto Pixar Place
  • Obtain Fastpass for, or ride Toy Story Midway Mania
Return to Sorcerer Hat and head toward main gate
Turn left onto Sunset Boulevard toward Tower of Terror
  • Obtain Fastpass or ride Tower of Terror
  • Obtain Fastpass or ride Rock 'n' Rollercoaster
Return to Sorcerer Hat
  • Ride the Great Movie Ride
Eat lunch at Starring Rolls Cafe
Continue down Commissary Lane toward Star Tours
  • Ride Star Tours if open
Continue to Streets of America
  • Watch Muppet Vision 3-D
  • See Lights! Motors! Action! Stunt Show
  • Take Backlot Tour
Return to POFQ to rest and change for anniversary dinner
Drive to Animal Kingdom Lodge
Eat dinner at Jiko at 8:35 PM

So, my DISer friends, we have reached the end of the line, as our intrepid group leaves for WDW approximately one week from now. So far, everything has gone according to plan and it looks like we're on target to have a wonderful vacation. This week, I finish packing and start purchasing the food we'll be bringing with us. I also have two tests and a paper to finish before we go, as well as another costume for MNSSHP, this time for my friend Katy (who is going to be there around the same time). She's planning on being Vanessa Doofinschmirtz for MNSSHP on the 3rd.

Today, I gave the friend who will be dog and house sitting a walk through of everything she needs to know and introduced her to the dogs. Fortunately, they seem to love her, so I think we're all good there. I need to make sure to give them their flea and heartworm treatments before we leave, but I know they'll be well taken care of.

I also went ahead and completed the online check-in process, to make checking into POFQ as smooth as possible. I'm going to mention it to Mike for his room, but it's really up to them if they want to do it that way. For myself and Nigel, however, we're all about the convenience of having everything done before we get there. I was talking to a friend about the trip this weekend and realized that part of the reason why I plan so much, is because I like to have everything handled so I can just relax and enjoy my vacation. Having tickets purchased, hotel paid for and ADRs scheduled, as well as a good game plan for park touring eliminates the stress of actually having to make decisions while I'm on vacation. By the time I get there, the decisions have already been made, which lowers my stress levels considerably. :laughing:

So, before I sign of, I leave you with our touring plan for Animal Kingdom and the promise of a trip report once I return. For those of you who've been reading, thanks for coming along for the ride!

Thursday, October 7th: Animal Kingdom and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
Get up @ 8:00 AM
Eat breakfast in room
Visit Animal Kingdom
Walk through Oasis toward Tree of Life
At the hub, bear right into Asia
  • Get fastpass for or ride Expedition Everest
  • See Flights of Wonder if possible
  • Explore Maharaja Jungle Trek
Continue counter-clockwise to Africa
  • Get fastpass for or ride Kilamanjaro Safaris
  • Explore Pangani Trail
Return to Discovery Island
Have lunch at Flame Tree BBQ
  • Explore Discovery Island Trail
Continue to Camp Minnie Mickey
  • See Festival of the Lion King if possible
Continue to DinoLand USA
  • Ride Dinosaur
  • Ride Primeval Whirl
  • See Finding Nemo if possible
Return to hotel to rest before MNSSHP
Grab quick dinner at POFQ's Sassagoula Floatworks
Head to the Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP
  • See Villains show
  • Boo to You Parade
  • HalloWishes
  • Ride any rides that strike our fancy and trick or treat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter