Restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
I'm looking for feedback on the restaurants (sit down and cafeteria sytle) at the Swan and Dolphin. We will be staying there this trip, and have never been before.

At the Swan, Gullivers (at dinner)/Garden Grille(at breakfast)-we've done Gullivers several times. Food is very good and they also offer a buffet that changes daily (that's good too), some of the desserts are delicious! Timon and Rafiki rotate with Pluto and Goofy as the characters at the dinner.

We've had lunch at the Splash Grille inside, but there are places to sit outside by the pool) a few times which was also good. We haven't eaten at Palios which is a little more upscale (offering Italian fare).

At the Dolphin, Tubbi's is a convenient buffeteria style restaruant. Great for a quick meal or just to fill up your refillable mug. We've eaten at the Dolphin Cabana Grille outside, they have some tastely lunches. But, be aware this is opened according to weather since it is mostly outside.

We've had ice cream, lunch and dinner at the Dolphin Fountain, a fun very casual open 50s themed restaurant. They have yummy shakes! The Coral Cafe serves breakfast and lunch and they have a character breakfast on Sundays (I believe)...we haven't been to either of these meals.

Shula's Steakhouse is also located at the Dolphin. I've only heard great things about this restaurant but it is quite pricey.

Thanks, we can't wait to eat, oh wait I mean go!

We ate at Palio's 2 - 3 years ago, food and service were excellent, worth every penny. They do have a childrens menu.

steve

I had a bad dining experience at Palio, not once, but twice, mostly service related. Too bad, because the first time we ate there it was an absolutely incredible experience.

Shula's was quite good, although quite expensive. I'm sure we'll go back at some point in time.

Anne

We just had dinner at Palio's three weeks ago and it was superb!! The food and the service were great. We had PS so we were seated immediately. The service was not rushed since the meal is one to be enjoyed. If you're looking to get in and out in a hurry, I wouldn't go here. But, if you want a great meal to take you're time over, then head over to Palio's.

On our last trip we decided to try mostly restaurants we'd never been to before. Our favorite was definitely Palio! Service was phenomenal. We had our 93-year-old meat and potatoes grandpa with us and they made him a beautiful mildly seasoned chicken breast with mashed potatoes and veggies. He was thrilled. We also had our cousin's 3-year-old son and the waiter really loved surprising him with little "snacks" and making funny animals out of napkins and such. We only picked Palio because we got a 20% discount as DVC members, but we'll go back because the food, ambience and service were all wonderful!

Originally posted by kathyg
[B The service was not rushed since the meal is one to be enjoyed. If you're looking to get in and out in a hurry, I wouldn't go here. But, if you want a great meal to take you're time over, then head over to Palio's. [/B]

This is a good point, Palio's advertises authentic Italian cuisine. My son has been stationed in Italy for 2 years and told us it's quite common to spend 2 - 3 hours or more when going out for dinner.

I believe our dinner at Palio's was about 1-1/2 hours and very relaxing.

steve

Another Palio lover! Had a lovely dinner there in June and have been dreaming about the veal ever since! Had a very unrushed dinner with DH and DS there, DD (17) didn't join us as she wanted some down time with no family around. She missed a great meal and has since wished she had come to dinner with us that night!

We also ate, late at night, at Tubbi's. It filled the spot and the burgers were good.

Debbie

I think you all may have convinced us to try Palios. We love italian food and always seem to pick one or two relaxing and lingering spots to eat dinner in WDW.

I'm sure we will hit Tubbi's, oh about 10 times during the trip, late night pizza seems to call my kids!

I would love to go to Shula's. The menu looks great. My DH REFUSES. Something about Jets fans should not step foot in this establishment and over my dead body, etc.

Thanks again!

We've eaten the character breakfast at both Garden Grille in the Swan and Coral Cafe. Average breakfast fare -- mickey waffles were hard as a brick last time. I suppose sometimes it's luck of the draw. We like the made-to-order omlette station. Service is always prompt and friendly and you get plenty of time with the characters because it never seems to be crowded.

We've had lunch and dinner at Gullivers in the Swan (same location as Garden Grille, but changes name for some reason for dinner). The Caesar salad is SO good. I look forward to one each and every time!

We *LOVE* Kimonos in the Swan and will actually go out of our way to eat there.

We've also eaten at Tubbi's in the Dolphin but were disappointed by the price vs. quality of the food. The only thing good there in my opinion are the Krispy Kremes and Starbucks coffee.

Shula's in the Dolphin is by far the best steak on property. Although pricey, it is no moer pricey then the YSH if done right.

Gullivers grill I thought was lousy.
Coral Cafe is ok. Nothing special but not bad for a decent but non-exciting meal.
Palio's is outstanding.
Have't been to Shulas but have heard it's great just expensive.
If you like Sushi...Kimonos is great!

One nice thing about Gullivers is they have a seperate buffet line for kids--with several kid offerings and good desserts. The kids also can eat from the regular buffet line that had a nice variety. At the character meals there are only 2 characters and they switch off, but it was still fun.

Brilliant Thread!! We are off to the Dolphin in October and I have now updated my plan with all the restaurants in this thread!! I've persuaded DH and I've just made PS for us to dine in Shula's! Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter