Restaurant, not in Disney, for 12 adults?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by SteveH, Dec 8, 2018.

1. SteveH

SteveH Earning my Mai Tai

I will be taking a group of staff and volunteers for a large conference this summer staying around the Convention Center. I've starting to explore the area on Yelp for a couple of nice restaurants to take everyone out to. The group will range from about 30 to 70 years old, I'm looking for a non-chain type of restaurant, at least trying to avoid the Outack, Red Robin type. I know that Mortons & Ruth Chris are very close and they a possible option. In the past I've taken this group to some great BBQ and even Guy Fieri Diners, Drive-In and Dives locations, all to great reviews. So I'm looking for something that is unique and within a reasonable Lyft/Uber ride away, it doesn't have to be in the immediate area.

Any recommendations from this group? Thanks!

2. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Buca Di Beppo. It is a chain, but the food is decent to good, the atmosphere is fun, prices are reasonable, and the place can easily handle large groups.

SteveH likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Roy's at the Gardenwalk could also handle a large group.

SteveH likes this.
  5. ParkHopper1

ParkHopper1 DIS Veteran

We did Splitsville in DTD for a large group connected to a convention and all had a blast.

CateinPhoenix and SteveH like this.
  6. wingednike

wingednike Mouseketeer

SteveH likes this.
  7. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Stonefire Grill in Fountain Valley (pretty much straight down Harbor if you don't take the freeway) serves Calfornia style BBQ, family style. Always receives raves, not a single complaint from any group we've taken there. It is a chain, but a small, family owned one. If price isn't a problem, look into Pizzeria Mozza in Newport (the patio seating will be nice in summer). Lucille's BBQ in Orange is a chain, but is very popular with groups. Park Ave. and Il Garage in nearby Stanton might work. And for fancy steakhouse that isn't a chain, try The Ranch on Ball Rd. Michael Jordan, who was at NR and was pivotal in starting the Food & Wine Festival at DCA, is now there. For German food, Jaegerhaus on Ball Rd. is fun -- casual, but so friendly and warm, with good service.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    SteveH likes this.
  8. SteveH

@MillauFr thanks, Buca Di Beppo is one on my list, since we don't have one here. I'll check into Roy's I like that is close.
    @ParkHopper1 thanks, never even thought about something like that!
    @wingednike thank you! I'm not sure how I missed Mama Cozzas
    @theluckyrabbit wow thanks, I'll check those places out, I appreciate the list and comments about each!

wingednike likes this.
  9. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Have you considered Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner? Not a chain. Well equipped fro large groups.
    Close to the Convention Center in Orange Circle is Francoli a nice (non-chain) Italian place. Good service, good Northern Italian food and a great location. Really fun to talk an after dinner walk around Orange Circle.

SteveH likes this.
  10. Miss SD

Miss SD Mouseketeer

How about The White House? It’s an Italian restaurant run by a wonderful gentleman whose organization delivers meals to the motel kids of OC and LA. (Pretty upscale too.)
    http://www.anaheimwhitehouse.com/

MillauFr and SteveH like this.
  11. Iceman93

Iceman93 DIS Veteran

I second the idea of the Anaheim White House. Also, look at The Hobbit for a truly spectacular, unique dining experience.

SteveH and MillauFr like this.
  12. ParkHopper1

ParkHopper1 DIS Veteran

Does not meet the criteria of not in the parks, but if you wanna knock their socks off book a dinner at 21 Royal Street!

13. starry_solo

starry_solo DIS Veteran

Bubba Gumps! :)

I think mrs. Knott's is a good choice too

14. SteveH

@StageTek thanks I will check that out, sounds fun! @starry_solo thanks for your feedback too
    @Miss SD & @Iceman93 thanks going to check that out!

LOL @ParkHopper1 I think that's just a tad out of my budget! Though I'd love to do that. I was a bit shocked that conference didn't include any Disney events, my hope is to take my staff to the parks on Sunday though, then my wife and I stick around for 3 days on our own. :)

15. WebmasterMaryJo

WebmasterMaryJo Techarita Staff Member Administrator

He (Bruno) feeds needy children for free, so I'd recommend the White House because he has a good/generous heart in addition to good food.

I also like Mrs. Knotts. That is a Southern Californian, non-chain, location. Only thing - no reservations, so go at non-peak time. :)

SteveH likes this.
  16. SteveH

That type of mission fits well with our team!

17. WebmasterMaryJo

WebmasterMaryJo Techarita Staff Member Administrator

Here's some info on him. I remember hearing about him in the early years. Local radio station just had their annual fundraiser for him.

http://www.chefbrunoserato.com/

upload_2018-12-10_12-1-26.png

18. Miss SD

Miss SD Mouseketeer

That’s right. KFI raised about $400,000 for Caterina’s Club, if I remember correctly. And tons of pasta/sauce also was donated.

WebmasterMaryJo likes this.
  19. pblack

pblack DIS Veteran

A prior poster mentioned Mama Cozza's which has been on DDD and was going to be my suggestion. I've eaten there a few years ago and from what I remember it was pretty good.