Resort room/category available 2 single nights but not a 2 night stay?

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
Figure this one out.
Trying to add on a couple of nights to our trip next month.
I can book 1 night and then another night but not 2 nights in a row
Same resort, same room category, available night of 5/24 and then night of 5/25 but not nights of 5/24 and 5/25 together
Any clues? I don't really care about booking 2 separate nights. I'd do that vs calling, since I gotta pay it sooner or later it won't matter to me if it's at booking vs. check in and I'd even be ok if we had to move
Yeah, I hate calling them that much.
But can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing this
Any guesses?

Wow that's strange. I can't think of any reason why that would happen other than the website being wonky - which it certainly has been this spring with the updates to the system.

Unfortunately I think you will probably have to call. But be warned the wait times are extra long because of the free dining offer - I had to call and had a 40 minute wait. The person I spoke to today said that that had a lot of calls with people adding free dining to their ressie or booking because of the free dining.

My assumption is that there are two rooms that are both available for one night but no rooms that are available for two. So maybe room 2143 is available on 5/24 and room 2472 is available on 5/25, but neither room is available on BOTH 5/24 and 5/25 which is why it's showing as fully booked when you put in the stretch of both nights. So yes, there is a room available for two nights, but not the same room, and since Disney wouldn't book a reservation for you and then make you switch rooms halfway through the reservation, it's coming up as unavailable for you.

My assumption is that there are two rooms that are both available for one night but no rooms that are available for two. So maybe room 2143 is available on 5/24 and room 2472 is available on 5/25, but neither room is available on BOTH 5/24 and 5/25 which is why it's showing as fully booked when you put in the stretch of both nights. So yes, there is a room available for two nights, but not the same room, and since Disney wouldn't book a reservation for you and then make you switch rooms halfway through the reservation, it's coming up as unavailable for you.
That really can't be it as Disney does not assign rooms prior to just before arrival

They do not assign rooms, but they have a number of rooms to hold. They have to have a system that keeps up with availability of rooms based on reservation overlap. It is basically inventory analysis.

Simple example: using 5/6-5/8 as dates wanted and 4 rooms available

Reservation 1 - 5/1-5/7
Reservation 2 - 5/3-5/6
Reservation 3 - 5/4-5/8
Reservation 4 - 5/5-5/9
Reservation 5 - 5/8-5/10
Reservation 6 - 5/7-5/9

There would be 1 room available 5/6-5/7 between Reservations 2 & 6 and a different room between Reservations 1 & 5 for 5/7-5/8.

That really can't be it as Disney does not assign rooms prior to just before arrival

While this is true, if you reread and think about it in terms of blocks of rooms available it sort of makes sense.

My thinking is more along the lines of Disney having a room algorithm in place to fill up their rooms.

So for example, Disney has May 22-25 available, but you want the 24th and 25th. Maybe it's easier for Disney to sell it as a four night trip or individual nights, but harder to sell it as a two night trip mid week, so if they offer it to you for two nights, they could get stuck with the other two nights.

Just a guess. That's why you'd probably have better luck calling.

Eh, like I said, I hate calling. I'd book 2 single nights before I bother with that. I gotta pay for 2 nights anyway, I'll just do it at time of booking vs. 1 now and 1 at check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter