Resort ideas for 3 & 12 yr olds?

beautybelle

DIS Veteran
My kids are so spaced apart and Im trying to decide on a resort that will please both of them. This will be our first time onsite. We usually stay in a villa in Lindfields but we thought we'd splurge this time.
Here are the resorts we have in mind:
Wilderness Lodge
Beach Club
Coronado Springs
AS Movies
and maybe possibly Animal Kingdom Lodge
Now for mom, I want Beach Club.
Dad wants Wilderness Lodge
Son hasnt really said one way or another
and daughter, I know, would like either AK or ASM.
But what would be best for both the kids together?

If swimming at the resort pool is important, then definitely go with Beach Club. Stormalong Bay is a mini-water park and probably the best resort swimming facility on WDW property.

We just returned from WL (me and DD5) and LOVED it. If you any questions, feel free to ask.

Stayed at two of your resort choices in Aug (WL and BC) and would vote for WL. This is amazing resort, great pool, boat to MK, nice room, good housekeeping. Lobby is amazing! My older kids and younger one LOVED this resort. Roaring Forks had much better quick service meals than BC Marketplace. Theming was better here too. BC was nice but felt more like a regular hotel to me.

We did enjoy BC, too. Walking to Epcot's back door was a quick and easy way to go. The location around the lake was pretty. On the negative side, not a lot of easy choices for a quick meal and did not love SAB for my little one. The pool area is crowded and large and the pool entrances are of various depths (deep as 8 ft) so did not feel one bit relaxing for me.

All in all, felt WL was a better value for the price, too. Good luck deciding!!!:)

I have stayed at all the resorts on your list(except the BC which we will be at in Jan but have been to many times)and I would vote for AKL! Savannah view especially. There is nothing like waking up and going on your balcony and watching giraffes or zebra and the other animals. It is so beautiful, serene, and peaceful. My kids are 5 years apart and a boy and girl so I also have to think about places that would entertain them both. This place certainly did. The pool is great, and there are so many wonderful activities for all ages at the resort. The lobby is amazing, there are great restaurants and counter service options. The animals are so interesting to watch. The only negative for me is that it is a bit far from the parks and you have to take the buses everywhere. With the BC you are right within walking distance to 2 parks. On the other hand with BC there is no counter service place and the pool area, while great, is hard to keep track of your kids at because it is so huge. I don't know when you plan on going but keep in mind the pool will be closing in sections for a rehab I believe starting in Jan. We will be there the end of Jan and received a letter stating that.

If AKL wasn't an option then my second choice from your list would be the WL. It is beautiful, great pool, marina with boat rentals, boat to MK, counter service and great restaurants. You can also go over to FW and do the campfire or other activities, and you could also take a boat over to the CR for meals or to hop on the monorail to go to Epcot! Both my kids love just riding the monorail around! LOL

Out of the Resorts you listed I would go with the Wilderness Lodge because they are close to the Magic Kingdom, so it might be the park you spend the most time at.

CSR!! I love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR offers a spa, salon, full menu room service and fitness center not to mention a terrific main pool area and the best transportation that is not shared with any other resort. It's like taking two vacations in one. Queen beds too!

CSR!! Great main pool area, awesome transportation, and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info. CSR now has queen beds too!!

Photo by steery1
11kfg3p.jpg

ostjs3.jpg

2igcfa0.jpg

2vijc02.jpg

I have a DS13 and a DD4, so I understand your concerns. We just returned from WL in August and the whole family really enjoyed it there. We did MK and EPCOT the most, so transportation was easy on the boat to MK and the bus to EPCOT - we had great bus service the whole time - I think the longest we waited was 15 min in 9 whole days. We choose WL because of the bunk beds cause with the age difference they really didn't want to sleep together in the same bed. Both kids loved the boat and the pool.

WL has a separate "baby" pool which I really liked because although the zero entries are nice, it is also nice to have a separate area for the littler ones where I can keep an eye from a chair on the edge rather than having to be extra sure she doesn't wander in too deep. Also with big brother off in the "big" pool she couldn't see what he was doing (the slide etc.) all the time so she wasn't constantly wanting to go where he was and he had more freedom from little sister.

Another plus was that the whole resort is under one roof (don't know if BC is like this too?) but it was nice to send the older one down to get sodas or whatever without worrying about him going out into the rain etc.

I cannot speak to the other resorts you mentioned as the only other resort we have stayed at is Poly - which was also very nice - but WL definitely fit our needs well and we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

We stayed at the Beach Club in July with a 12 year old and a 6 year old and they both loved it! The pool is awesome there. In the moderate category, CSR is our favorite. AKL and WL are beautiful resorts with a lot to offer also, such a tough decision.

My vote would be WL. I think with the easy transport to MK, plus the theme, it would be great for both age groups. IMHO, the spacing in our family is 14 years apart and I as the oldest was easy to please. In fact I quite liked doing "kiddie" things and having a little brother gave me the excuse to do it but still "be cool". I might ask the oldest which one s/he prefers once you narrow it down to two, and then go with that (unless of course you KNOW what one you really want).

there is also
VWL, BCV, AKV, BWV, OKW, SSR - Disney Vacation resorts

would go with BCV - just because this is not your first visit. BCV (or BC) you can walk or boat to Epcot and Studios. It definitely has the best pool. the activities are for both your children.

the studio has 1 queen bed and a double sleeper sofa, except OKW which has 2 queen beds.

the 1-bedroom has king in the master, queen sleeper sofa in the livingroom, full kitchen (small), whirlpool tub, shower stall, washer/dryer in the room. (AKV also has a chair bed - so it's occupancy is 5 not 4)

the 2-bedroom is a combination of both (there are some dedicated with 2 queen bed no matter what resort)

would go with renting from a member - unless you got a discount code for staying onsite.

all the dvc resorts have a balcony. So do the deluxes.

CSR does not - with your family and being used to villa - would think this is a must.

Oh gosh, I still cant decide. They all have great things to offer that appeals to us. Actually Im leaning towards Animal Kingdom. I think both kids would love waking up and seeing the animals. Does the AKL have a toddler pool?

Out of all the resorts you listed I would pick the Beach Club. Beautiful grounds, close to Epcot and great pool.

I'd whatever hotel your 12 yo would like. He will be gone from home before you know it-my son is 33 today and it seems like yesterday that he was 12. Your son might not want to go on many more vacations with your family. Make this one that he'll always remember. You can take your daughter again when she's older and do the same for her.

AKL has a kiddie pool. It's a tuff decision! Out of the resorts you have mentioned, we have stayed at AKL 4 times, and BCV once. We love AKL, it's our favorite resort. DS, who is now 15, still likes AKL, but he prefers BC due to SAB, the ability to walk to EPCOT and STUDIOS. He also stated that the arcade in BC was rather "awsome".

I don't think you can go wrong with any resort that you choose, if you are staying long enough, how about a split stay?

Everything is amazing about this beautiful resort.

We are staying there again this Christmas, and I cannot wait!

In August 2006, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and it was lovely, too. But there is something so magical about seeing the animals from your balcony and the big picture windows scattered throughout the resort.

I have never stayed at Beach Club, but the previous poster made it sound pretty good. I wouldn't yet want my 12 year old son walking to Epcot or Disney Studios by himself. However, in a few years, you may want to give Beach Club a try for that reason. I imagine that would be really cool for a teenager--a little time to explore the parks by himself. Also, by that time, your daughter will be older, and it won't be quite so scary for her at Storm Along Bay.

The AKL has a nice toddler pool and zero entry in the big pool. The theming is absolutely gorgeous. You cannot go wrong with any of the choices, though. They are all special places!

I'd pick AKL. Like other posters have said, it has a great pool area. But another reason is that the kid activities are terrific. Our sons are 8 years apart, and there were always programs that they wanted to do: animal tracking, flamingo study, crafts, scavenger hunts, etc. They liked collecting the beads earned for each activity. And the disney cartoons on tvs in the lobby can be a big help with a toddler during check-in or waiting for your dinner table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter