• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reservations Help

spay2499

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney for my first trip in August and I have two kids 5 and 1 and I wanted to know if reservations are a must. I have the dining package with the Sit down meals but I am not really sure what days I am going to what parks and did not want my dinners to make that choice for me. So can I walk up and get a table at most of the restaurants and get a table.

Not really, not if you want to eat at normal meal times. If you do walk in you can expect to wait a long time if you get in at all---even with ADR's you can wait 15-20 minutes.

But, I don't think you need to plan most things 6 months in advance. I am just now finishing making the ADRs for our Memorial Day week trip and haven't had any trouble getting what we wanted...breakfasts in the 8 oclock hour, and dinners between 5-6 pm for parties of 5-7.

If you don't want to make reservations your best option would be to go counterservice.

Make reservations 180 days in advance. With kids that young you will want early dining times, otherwise it will be a nightmare. The last time I went in August, it ended up being free dining so the sit down restaurants were totally packed. If you don't want sit down restaurants every night the dining plan may not be worth it for you (unless it's free). Take a look at the park hours and go from there. They also have a counter service dining plan. If you have park hoppers it is a bit easier. With children that age I would DEFINITELY make those ressies.

Since you have the DDP I would highly suggest NOT walking up. I have seen signs at the park entrances that state "ALL restaurants are booked for the day, no walk ups will be accepted"....sort of sign. Especially in busy seasons and free dining promos.

This being your first trip one thing I do recommend is pick which days you are going to what parks....this is a must. You don't have to get all commando and know what you are doing every minute of your day, but at least know which park on which day and then plan a meal close to that park. If you have hoppers it isn't as necessary to eat close, but with little ones you will want to.

I know it sounds crazy but it is a fact that many people's vacation experience there revolves around where they are eating and the restaurants. So adr's are really a must.
You can look at the menus online and pick out places you think you will like based on what is served.

But I can't stress enough......make your ressies, not being able to get in a place at the park or resort you are at and having to run around to different places to get one........well that could take hours. At least you will have control of the time you can eat, with kids it is difficult to have hours to wait because you don't have a reservation.

I agree with all the pp's...you need reservations, esp with the DP, and esp in August. You and your kids will be happier. My kids are similar in age and even though the 5 year old might be able to tolerate a wait, the little one has a different agenda! Why not try a character meal? You would definitely need reservations for those, particularly if there's a Free Dining promotion. I think your kids would love breakfast at the Tusker House at AK. Imagine being able to go into the park 30-45 minutes before the park opens and getting a great shot of your family in front of the Tree of Life without the crowds...definitely worth it!

I am going to Disney for my first trip in August and I have two kids 5 and 1 and I wanted to know if reservations are a must. I have the dining package with the Sit down meals but I am not really sure what days I am going to what parks and did not want my dinners to make that choice for me. So can I walk up and get a table at most of the restaurants and get a table.

You don't say when in August, but Free Dining is likely to start on the 15th. If that is the case, the TS restaurants will be packed. It will be difficult, if not impossible to get seated by walking up.

Remember, when you are buying the DDP, you are PREPAYING for your meals. If you truly do not want to make ADRs, then you should consider not buying the DDP.

I agree with the PP who said that you do not need to do anything yet. But you will regret it, if you do not make ADRs at some point. I would recommend no later than 3 months.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter