Researching DVC Ownership: Is this allowed?

CapnCrunch

Mouseketeer
Hello all -
The family and I just enjoyed a short weekend stay at HHI. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa and loved the space and amenities. We are considering joining DVC but are still in the research stage and will probably stay at some other DVC resorts before we make a final decision.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere or has been discussed before, but I was wondering if this was an allowable strategy?

Do resale contracts still get the same 11 month booking advantage at the home resort?
Could I not purchase a smaller contract direct through DVC (like 100-150 points), then purchase resale contracts at different resorts to;
a.) have the benefits of having a DVC "direct" membership?
b.) have more points to borrow/bank from?
c.) obtain the 11 month booking advantage at other resorts?

Thanks for your help!

yes resale gets the same booking advantage.
150 pts is minimum direct. If you had the same resort direct and resale with the same use year then yes that would work. You can’t combine points from different resorts at the 11 month window.

Do resale contracts still get the same 11 month booking advantage at the home resort?
Could I not purchase a smaller contract direct through DVC (like 100-150 points), then purchase resale contracts at different resorts to;
Yes.

only the points bought direct would have that benefit, so if you ever sold your direct contract, you'd lose those benefits. Functionally, the access to discounts, the sorcerer's pass AP, and other things you'd have, regardless of how many resale contracts. but the resale contracts couldn't be exchanged for disney collection, disney cruise, etc., nor could they be used to book Riviera, DLT, and future resorts.

Yes. Just keep in mind resale points can't be used at Riviera, DLT, and future resorts.

If the resale contract was also at HHI, you could use all direct + resale points to book 11 months at HHI. If the resale contract(s) were a different home resort, you could use the HHI Direct at HHI at 11 months and the home resort of the resale contract at 11 month, and then you could combine them at the 7 month mark.

Hello all -
The family and I just enjoyed a short weekend stay at HHI. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa and loved the space and amenities. We are considering joining DVC but are still in the research stage and will probably stay at some other DVC resorts before we make a final decision.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere or has been discussed before, but I was wondering if this was an allowable strategy?

Thanks for your help!

You've got the 11 month advantage no matter how you purchase but I think you've got it backwards on purchasing direct first. We purchased our first 25 pt HHI contract first to get our foot in the door then added on direct. This way, the minimum 150 pt requirement goes away with your first resale purchase (as of now). One thing to know about purchasing HHI is that SC requires an attorney so closing costs are a little higher.

We then added on a combination of direct and resale points at 2 other resorts to give us the blue card and home booking advantage. We just found it easier to budget and pay cash for our purchases by doing it in small chunks. Just FYI....You only get the 11 month advantage with the points owned at that specific resort. You can't use them together until the 7 month window.

Hello all -

Thanks for your help!
Just FYI, HHI has cheaper purchase price, but higher maintenance fees if you are interested in HHI.
My home resort is HHI for the 11 month booking window, but we have used the 7 month booking window at WDW resorts as well.
We bought resale due to Disney requiring 150 point minimum. We saved about 30% buying resale over direct.

All the feedback is appreciated. I'm trying to find the "best bang for my buck" while not being locked into just 1 home resort but also have enough points to accommodate a large group (most of my family vacations include up to 12 guests; 6 adults & 6 kids).

Especially now that the Blue Card is close to worthless, it's not worth it to buy direct for most people. Read up on the boards, do your own math.

We are mostly talking WDW here, which is a closed environment. HH is a whole different beast. If you are looking into HH in particular, I would consider competing timeshare companies. HH is clearly not Disney's focus at the moment.

I found this math helpful:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-spring-2021/

When you're considering that home resort, narrow it down by resorts that you would like to stay at most. We purchased HHI because of how difficult it is to book summer there. We also used those points at the 7 month window at WDW for years. We then purchased BRV because of how difficult it is to get at Christmas and then BWV because of how difficult it is to get during F&W. So do some checking and figure out which resorts would be your top choice. Then you can always look at availability at 7 months to mix things up.

Edited to add: I disagree with RoseGold on HHI not being Disney's focus. They've just added outdoor kitchens with gas grills and the resort is due a refurb in 2022.

My only advice is to make sure you choose a home resort that you don't mind staying at if you can't trade out at 7 months. Owning multiple resorts will get you nights there during the home resort period, but can't be used elsewhere, no matter what else you own.

It is the points, not the owner, that carries the booking rights. Now, some will buy multiple resorts and use the bank/borrow method to alternate stays, or do split stays. For direct, as mentioned, it is 150 point minimum

If you go resale first, you will be allowed to add on less than that direct. However, to be eligible for membership magic...blue card, you have to reach 150 direct. Right now, there seems to be inconsistent application of the rules for the Sorcerer AP. DVC says only blue card owners should be getting it, but after a month of sales, we are seeing those not officially eligible being allowed to activate at the parks. While this is happening, I would not assume it will continue until we see an official change to the language.

The other aspect is that no resale points can be used at RIV or future resorts. If that is of interest for you, you may want to look more closely at the pros/cons of direct, because some of the resorts bought that way can be pretty close to resale prices for other ones.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter