Resale: For those who have bought less than 150 points

CarnotaurDad

DIS Veteran
I have done several searches but thought it might be best to make sure I understand (sorry for any duplication of information).

Does DVC put any restrictions on you at all as a resale owner with less than 150 points?

Was the process easy to purchase in with less than 150 points or was there any extra work involved?

Is there anything else we should no if considering less than 150 points?

Thanks in advance for your help!

There are no restrictions on point totals if you are buying a resale but there are things you should know. You will be ONLY able to use your points at Disney since you will not have enough points to qualify for an exchange unless you use two years worth of points. I can't remember what the minimum is to exchange, but I know that was the reason DVC didn't offer point packages of less than 230 points at first. Now they have lowered that to 150, but I don't know what the minimum is for exchanging. I would assume it is 160 points which is the equivalent of 1 week in a 1 bedroom at lowest season.

You may have to be patient to find the right contract...and closing costs will add to the overall point cost. If you are looking at half the number of points, you will save money, but if you are looking for 130 points, you may have more luck and not spend that much more going to 150 - a lot more contracts available (and extra points are rentable - if you have extra points). You will probably have best luck if you contact the major resellers and let them know what you are looking for - a lot of small contracts don't hit the web sites.

Going through Disney is QUICK and you can charge it, or get financing. Also there are no closing costs. Through a resaler it takes more time (I bought 50 OKW points) but you can get a better deal, and you need to arrange your own financing. I really did not want 150 points, it was too big of an expense all at once. The small package let us try things out so we could see if we liked it (we love it). If you do you can do small add ons (25 points minimum for cash, 50 with financing) directly through Disney. Depending on which home resort you want will be important. Saratoga Springs and Vero Beach are the only ones available through Disney now (Saratoga Springs gives you 12 extra years on the contract) and the others are only available resale. Good luck and have fun! We are very happy with our small purchase and have already done a 25 point BWV add-on. The other nice thing about small add-ons is that if circumstances change you can grow or shrink your membership incrementally. If it is a 150 point contract you have to sell all 150 points at once.

Thanks for the info.....here's another question (sorry about that):

If I buy 100 points via resale, can I then add 50 via Disney and have it be considered a 150 point contract or do I need to do it via resale?

Does it matter if they are at the same or different resort?

Thanks so much!

Yes, you can purchase your add-on through DVC. In your example, you would actually have TWO separate contracts--one of 100 points and a second of 50 points.

The resort doesn't matter, but note that you can only book at 11 months using the number of points you have at the ONE resort. Thus if you buy 100 OKW points via resale and 50 SSR points via DVC, you can still only use the 100 to book OKW at 11 months. You could always bank / borrow to get more points from that one contract for a single ressie.

As others have said, it may be harder to find at contract of less than 100 pts. The differential cost of your closing will also be higher on a per-point basis. Closing costs typically run $400-500, which would be $4-5 per point on top of the amount you agree to pay the seller.

160 pts gets you an exchange into a 1 Bedroom "Red "(highest season) at II . If you are planning to exchange, that's the minimum I would get.

I think several have danced around the issues but let me try to add some thoughts. First, there is no restriction on exchanging, it's simply getting enough points together to do so. The min is 106, the low season for a studio though 160 would be a more realistic minimum. Frankly, if you want to trade, buy a non DVC timeshare. You could buy less DVC points and another timeshare cheaper than you could buy more points to have for trading. And you'd end up far better off with more choices and less costs in the short and long term.

If you buy less points, you will have less options but you may have all you need. 100 yearly will get you a studio a year for most times or a 2 BR for 5 days (excluding weekends) around 2 out of 3 years. The cost per point may be higher for a smaller package because the closing costs will add up and the smaller packages tend to sell for more.

If you buy 100, you could add on through DVC. Those they have a few points at times for non SSR resorts, SSR is mainly what they're currently selling. If you bought 100 at one resort and added 50 at another, you would only be able to use points for each home resort in the 7-11 months window. You would not be able to combine them unless they were the same resort. If you think you want 150 or so, I'd buy 150 resale unless you specifically wanted SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter