Requirements for proof of time

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
Does rD require proof of time for races to be on a USTAF approved/certified course? Or is chip time that they can look up online enough?

I'm working on improving my time, hoping for a better corral in my next rD half. There's a local club race this weekend that is chip timed, but I'm pretty sure it's not a USTAF certified course. Trying to determine if it's worthwhile to do the race (it's cheap since it is a club race) in an effort to get a better proof of time.

For what it's worth, there's a company doing the chip times & you can look up those times online.

The language on the website is certainly ambiguous:

"Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2014."

It says "certified" but not 'USATF".

My take is this: USATF certifies courses, not races. Since Disney doesn't use the word course or USATF, I take their statement to mean: "Proof of time must be provided from a race with a timer and published results and not your own stopwatch on a course you measured in your car."

As comparison, here is what ATC's website says for Peachtree qualifying times:

"..on a USATF certified course.."

The language on the website is certainly ambiguous: "Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2014." It says "certified" but not 'USATF". My take is this: USATF certifies courses, not races. Since Disney doesn't use the word course or USATF, I take their statement to mean: "Proof of time must be provided from a race with a timer and published results and not your own stopwatch on a course you measured in your car." As comparison, here is what ATC's website says for Peachtree qualifying times: "..on a USATF certified course.."

That makes sense. Thanks for that perspective.

FYI - here's the reply email I received from runDisney/Track Shack. Not exactly helpful with regard to what is a certified race, but I think it does clarify that a measure race course for a race held by a local running club with a separate company doing chip timing should be okay.

"In identifying a race that meets the proof of time requirement, there are two criteria you want to consider in addition to being the required distance within the timeframe.

1. A certified race. If it is not certified, then it needs to be one step short of that, which is a measured course. The course has been measured with specific measurement devices to confirm the course distance. For example, you want to ensure that you are running a 6.2 mile race not a 5.8 or 6.5.

2. We do not accept self-timed, training or virtual runs. The race needs to be timed by race management and that typically means with a chip or tag device. The race management will report to you your finish time and display results on a website where it can be verified."

Oh, sweet - thanks for this!!

I figured it just had to be a run that was time managed by an official source, but it's nice to know. There are roughly a dozen different 10ks where I'm at in the two weeks before I want to submit final time, so I think I'm just going to run as many as I can to get the best corral I can get.

Oh, sweet - thanks for this!! I figured it just had to be a run that was time managed by an official source, but it's nice to know. There are roughly a dozen different 10ks where I'm at in the two weeks before I want to submit final time, so I think I'm just going to run as many as I can to get the best corral I can get.

Yes, that's pretty much my plan, too! :)

FWIW, I was not able to register for a half-marathon for proof of time in 2013 on a certified course, but runDisney accepted my time. It was a medium sized measured course, but not certified. No problems.

FWIW, I was not able to register for a half-marathon for proof of time in 2013 on a certified course, but runDisney accepted my time. It was a medium sized measured course, but not certified. No problems.

Good to know. Thanks!

Big update (ok maybe not that big) on the proof of time requirements. Disney has changed the verbiage as follows: "Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2014 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time."

To Disney :worship: Thanks for clearing that up.
The rest of us should feel a little like :dogdance:.

Big update (ok maybe not that big) on the proof of time requirements. Disney has changed the verbiage as follows: "Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2014 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time."

Finally!!!!

Just to clarify, the date after which a race must have been run varies depending on which rD race you are running. For W&D for example it is sometime in November 2013 (I am not on my computer right now) - seems to be roughly no more than two years old.

Yeah, for the PHM POT it now has to be a race you ran after 2/1/14. Exact quote from Active.com:

Within the coming weeks, a link will be available on runDisney.com, in which you will be required to provide your proof of time and other related information from an officially timed race reflecting results after February 1, 2014.

Bummer because I was planning to use my 1/2 marathon results from 1/26/14, which was better than my ToT 10-Miler results from October 2014. Oh well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter