replacing central cooling system - opinions please

fac

DIS Veteran
According to DH, our central cooling system is broken and he plans to replace it.
Basically, he called a local company today and prepared to pay an emergency fee to have someone to come in today to look into the AC but his plan is to replace it. I got him to change the appointment to next week, but he isn't interested to get a quote from different contractors, therefore, I will have to look into it myself.

From what I found, I think I can either find a contractor who only does the installation, or I can buy the unit from the contractor. The contractor is supposed to be able to give me a recommendation based on the size of my house and the cooling need. What other questions should I ask? What should I look for? (our current system runs on electricity). I hate to buy a system just because the contractor recommends it.

Felicia
fac is online now Edit/Delete Message

I would get three quotes on the system. The more reliable guys will measure all the windows, ask about the construction of the room/house as far as how much insulation.

Then make sure that they are quoting similar systems (tonnage etc.). I would talk to neighbors and see if any of them have had their system replaced. Ask at work/mom's groups etc. Someone will have a good recommendation.

Dont scrimp on the condenser as it does all the work. Stick with a major brand. See if your local utility does the work as well.

You will probably want to replace the air handler at the same time, most will quote it that way.

Once you have the three quotes you will have alot more information to work with.

My dh installs HVAC (heating, vent, and air cond) systems for a living, and has for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I can't talk to him for a couple of hours. Send me a private message so I can quickly get info to you on how to best handle it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter