Renting through VRBO - how does it work?

Live2Plan

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of driving down for March Break :cool1: and have found availability for some 2 bedroom condos on vrbo for a good price. We've only stayed onsite before so are wondering how it works if you use vrbo?

I know that these are rentals by owners, but how would you guarantee that the deal will go as planned? Is it just by trust? Also, I'm wondering about getting keys, etc. - on some of the other rental sites I've seen it mentioned that you get the keys in an offsite location. I'm envisioning myself driving all over town to pick up keys, etc. :rotfl:

Any advice and information about using vrbo would be greatly appreciated!

the times I have used vrbo(Orlando twice,Myrtle beach once) I would send a deposit, they would send me the info about two weeks before and I would pay them the balance. Once, when I rented in Myrtle Beach it was last minute so I paid everything at once and then was sent all the paperwork by email.

Yes, there is some trust involved in this. I've heard there is a way of checking with the county (?) that they still own their house and are not in foreclosure...something like that was on here a couple of times.

Most of the time it's a keypad combination that you get and that gets you into the home/condo. Oh, I was mistaken, I also rented in Destin,fl.....that one, he gave us a combination to a key box and there was a key inside.

All transactions went very well and without a hitch. Let me tell you, there is nothing like going straight to your condo/home and walking in and never waiting in some check-in line!! THAT part I love!

At WH we rented from Laza properties....if you do a search you will find them. They own at WH and Vista Cay. Husband and wife own here, this is not a management company. It turned out that the guy worked some with my BIL. Small world! They were VERY nice and the condo was beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

VRBO and homeaway (the parent company) have a guarantee against fraud that you can buy when you used any of the homes listed on their pages:
http://guarantee.homeaway.com/vrbo/

You can check the county tax records to make sure of ownership and also zillow.com to check and see if the house/condo is listed for sale.

Ask the owner about key pick up procedures. Most of the time it's a coded lockbox with the key in or a coded entrance system. We've only had to pick the key up at an agency once.

Check in isn't until 4 o'clock usually but if there was no one in the house prior to your stay then the owner may let you check in earlier. You can ask.
We've done this many times and everything has been fine.

Thanks for the help - I knew I could get answers from my fellow DISers! :worship:

Since our trip is such a short time away I think I'm going to book through lmt instead but next time will definitely try vrbo!

thanks for asking this question if we dont get free dining for november we have to stay off site....and have never stayed off site b4. I am hoping for free dining but staying offsite is starting to get a little excited also! What happens if there is something wrong with the place? like its dirty or there are critters in the beds or just any problems like that? I try to look for the the ones that have the most reviews (and the most recent ones also)

thanks for asking this question if we dont get free dining for november we have to stay off site....and have never stayed off site b4. I am hoping for free dining but staying offsite is starting to get a little excited also! What happens if there is something wrong with the place? like its dirty or there are critters in the beds or just any problems like that? I try to look for the the ones that have the most reviews (and the most recent ones also)

Everyhome should have a local management company that looks after the home and both both the guests and owners interests.You should receive their contact details when the owner gives you all the home information you need to find and access their home-if it isn't there ask for it as the MC is your contact during your stay.The MC will deal with any problems that arise during your vacation and should deal with it promptly and efficiently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter