Renting DVC points

TeresaZ

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had a negative experience renting DVC points? We are looking at going through David's DVC rental.

I have only seen positive reviews :-)banana:) but want a full picture before proceeding with renting for our next trip.

you may find a better answer on this in the dvc board then here. we have rented our points on there but have not points to vacation with.

All I can say is be sure to "get references." We had a problem years ago and have been gun shy to try again. However, I work with a gal who owns DVC and we are renting from her this year. Good luck.

Has anyone had a negative experience renting DVC points? We are looking at going through David's DVC rental.

I have only seen positive reviews :-)banana:) but want a full picture before proceeding with renting for our next trip.

If you do a search on David's DVC rentals on the DISboards you will find lots of feedback.

My neighbors rented with David's and had a very positive experience. I would highly recommend using him.

I have rented for the past 6 years from 6 different people and have never had one single issue. This year I used mousesavers message board to find someone to rent from and was able to get Boardwalk 11 months out for $11 a point. I never rent through a service always directly from an individual.

We rented directly from individuals several times before we bought our own points. NEVER had an ounce of trouble.

All I can say is be sure to "get references." We had a problem years ago and have been gun shy to try again. However, I work with a gal who owns DVC and we are renting from her this year. Good luck.

What problem did you have as we are going on our 11th stay in the last 5 years renting points and have never had an issue...:confused3

Teresa..you will find more positives than negatives and using the advice other pp's have given I say go for it you will never look back...:thumbsup2

We rented several times before purchasing and have had no negative experience but of course, as with everything, there can be problems. Just make sure you have a contract (even though I admit I never have) if you go through an individual. I believe Davids cost is a bit higher per point but you may feel safer using a middle man. I tend to go through life pretty trusting so I always went through an individual and have had no issues to speak of.

Thank y'all!! We typically just go through Disney when getting our rooms
but am thinking about renting points this time. It seems so much cheaper and almost too good to be true!! Lol.

So, when renting, how often do you get the villa of your choice? If you go the 11 months in advance, is it pretty easy to get what you want?

if you want 11 months out then you have to go with someones home resort, otherwise it is 7 months, but let me tell you i m not sure i will ever go back to the traditional way again, i just got my family a savannah view villa at AKL:woohoo: in sept and i would not have been able to afford it at rack rate. i have gone through individuals so far and have had no trouble at all, but go with whatever makes you comfortable, either way you will be glad you did!:thumbsup2

I am an owner and my suggestion is to rent from someone who has been on these boards for a long time. They just enacted a new rule so all for rent posters have to have at least 50 posts the past 6 months. I have rented out points before and never had any trouble. I never used a contract but I always stayed in contact with those that rented from me. As one mentioned above once you stay in a villa, especially a one or two bedroom you will be hooked. Its so nice to have a full kitchen and washer and dryer in your room! Go to the DVC boards and you will get lots of info there. I still cant believe more people dont rent from owners since the price difference is huge.

Thank y'all!! We typically just go through Disney when getting our rooms
but am thinking about renting points this time. It seems so much cheaper and almost too good to be true!! Lol.

So, when renting, how often do you get the villa of your choice? If you go the 11 months in advance, is it pretty easy to get what you want?

Contacting an owner ahead of time so they can book at 11 months out is a good way to get what you need. You might not always get what you want, though because some owners may be a bit quicker on the phone and book up things like Grand Villas at BWV or AKV Concierge villas.

You won't have the same terms as you do with Disney, so there might be no refunds and no cancellation and possibly no changes. It's kind of like Priceline. The member might want full payment to make the reservation. They might not accept Paypal.

And you will not be able to call DVC with requests, to add the dining plan, to add Magical Express, etc. Only the member can call. And if anything goes wrong, Disney will not get involved. If you happen to rent from a member who DVC considers to be a commercial renter, your reservation could be cancelled. It's a risk you take.

You won't get daily housekeeping service with DVC. It's a timeshare, so you only get limited services every four days. If you stay seven nights or less, you'll get your towels replaced and trash removed on day 4. If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and trash removed and towels replaced on day 8. If you want more frequent services or extra towels and shampoo, etc, you will pay extra for those.

Right now you can add the dining plan without getting your tickets through Disney, but you'll have to pay in full when you add it to the reservation. So if you have some pay in advance reservations like CRT or HDD, you'll need to add the dining plan when you need to book those.

It's a good way to get a nice place to stay for a little less, but, there can be complications.

I've done it. Nothing but a wonderful experience and I found my DVC owner on the DIS Boards. I did my homework, checked references....everything outlined in the stickys on the Rent/Trade Board. We rented from her again for our upcoming trip. Almost as good as being a DVC member!:thumbsup2

I used Davids for our upcoming trip and it has so far been a great experience. I only say so far because we haven't gone on the actual trip yet.. but the process of finding a place and getting our reservation was great.

I am a DVC owner who has rented out points before. I would make sure you have a contract. You can save between $2-$4 a point going trough an individual. Look at Mouseowner.com & DVC boards here.

I used David's service last year for our trip. We rented a BCV studio. It was great--very professional, and since he works with a lot of owners he has almost everything available 11 months out, so it's a lot easier to get what you want if you're comfortable booking that early. He added DDP for us when we decided we wanted that; we had no problems of any kind. The cost per point is more expensive, but to me the peace of mind of knowing that I was dealing with a legitimate professional business more than made up for the premium price. Plus, if I was dealing with an owner directly and had a bunch of questions about the villa, I would not feel comfortable pestering them, but I always felt able to just send David an email and ask. And still it was WAY cheaper than paying rack rates. We decided to try a moderate for our next trip, but we will definitely work with David if we ever want to rent points again.
Hope this helps.

Kim from Kansas

I have rented from two different individuals and both trips went off without a hitch. We stayed at BCV for a week back in Sept 2006 and I think I paid $10/pt. Then in Jan 2010 we stayed at BWV for a week and we paid $10.50/pt. This was a substantial savings over booking thru WDW. I found both owners on another board (one specific for DVC owners). David has been around for years and I have never seen any negative feedback on his services. I would not hesitate to use his service but would epect to pay a couple $$ more per point.:thumbsup2

The no housekeeping daily did not affect us, we had free laundry at BCV (we were in a studio), and our own W/D at BWV (2br). I didn't mind keeping the rooms picked up. The only con in my mind (once you find someone you trust) is not being able to readily change your reservation dates or cancel as you could with a regular WDW reservation.

Never had a problem in fact we are doing it again this May. Most we have ever paid was $10.50 per point. Beware though you may never want to go back to a regular room once you have tried dvc. Favorite so far is OKW. We are trying AKV this time. Don't care for BCV, SAB is to crowde, to noisy and to big. Have not tried BLT yet, to many points for my pocket book. Like BWV. SSR and VWL are to much like home. I have enough pine trees and such at home.

We stayed at OKW in a 2 bedroom last December. It was awesome!! I am hoping to get AK Jambo house on our next trip. We've never stayed in a moderate or value. I probably should actually look into buying into the DVC! lol.

Never had a problem in fact we are doing it again this May. Most we have ever paid was $10.50 per point. Beware though you may never want to go back to a regular room once you have tried dvc. Favorite so far is OKW. We are trying AKV this time. Don't care for BCV, SAB is to crowde, to noisy and to big. Have not tried BLT yet, to many points for my pocket book. Like BWV. SSR and VWL are to much like home. I have enough pine trees and such at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter