Rental we picked out can't supply bed rails... what to do...

mommy2paris

DIS Veteran
After 2 months of research, we finally decided on a condo!
Yay! So I thought...

I just found out that the home owner does not have bedrails, the mgmt company does not rent / provide them.

We have 2 small dd's who have to have a bedrail on the twin beds they will be using.

We are flying, so I'm not sure I can bring one from home.

I guess I could try taking ours apart, and putting it in pieces, inside our luggage. Maybe stopping by the local walmart (since we are getting groceries), and buying them there? I just hate to buy them and have to end up leaving them there at the end of the week.

What if the walmart there doesn't have any in stock?
If I did buy them, do you think I could take them apart, put them back in the boxes, tape the 2 boxes together and check them in a
"piece of luggage" with our airline on the way home?
They come in long thin flat boxes, and don't way a whole lot?

Any other suggestions?

I really don't know where you would find them this time of year, but I used the inflatable pool "noodles" to keep my DS from rolling out of his bed. you just slip them under the edge of the sheet and it stops them from being able to roll off the edge. They also take up no room in your luggage and you can always toss them when you are done.

What we've done in the past is move the mattress to the floor. I don't know how much room you'll have, but it worked. If our DS fell out of the bed it was only a few inches. I do like the idea of the pool noodle under the sheet, but I think my DS would have rolled right over it!

How about A Baby's Best Friend? I'm assuming you're talking about doing a condo near Disney.

Their website is www.abbf.com. I've used them in the past for refrigerators. Not sure if they have bedrails, but I would try them.

How about A Baby's Best Friend? I'm assuming you're talking about doing a condo near Disney.

Their website is www.abbf.com. I've used them in the past for refrigerators. Not sure if they have bedrails, but I would try them.

I second that recommendation - I have used them in the past with excellent service. More recently my SIL used them for a full size crib and a few other misc toddler items and had good service. The items were new and or in good shape and clean.

They do have bed rails :)

TJ

get 4 of the water noodle type things (ya know what i mean......?) and just put them under the sheets on either side of the bed. That should keep then in bed no problem. OR....just take the matress off the bed and put it on the floor, that way if they fall out...it's only a few inches.

How old are your little ones? We took a trip recently and the kids were in twins. I put pillows next to my ds and he did fine. So well that I took the bedrail off his bed when we got home! But, he is 3. If they are much younger I might not make that choice.

The pool noodles sound like a good idea, and in FL I would think they would still have them in Walmart.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Our oldest will be almost 4, so I think that she may be okay w/out one if it comes down to it, even though she is still using one at home. Or we could line the pillows up on the side.

The one I'm most concerned about is our youngest, who will be 1 yr 10 months when we travel. She WILL not sleep in a pack n play, so I am definetely going to need something on her bed.

Unfortunately the twin bedroom in our rental is the smallest room, and I'm not sure that there is space to put the mattresses on the floor. I"ll have to take a better look at the pictures. At least each bed is against a wall, so that helps out on one side of each.

I did check out ABBF, the only downside was a min of $50 rental, and 2 bed rails for a week was only $30... I hate to pay $50. I might give them a call to see how they work those things out.

If I can't seem to find a solution, I may end up packing ours in our luggage (it comes apart into several smaller pieces, so it may not be too bad), and then looking for one more at the walmart in florida. We can always leave it at the condo we rent, and maybe it will help someone else out in the future.

Thanks again!!

Does your rental house have dining chairs? Turn them around and have the backs next to the beds - or even place the chair with the chair bottoms against the bed - if they roll they will be on the chair seat. I've done that before at a friend's house when I was afraid my son would fall out of bed.

If you put a tightly rolled bath towel UNDER the fitted sheet at the edge of the bed that will work! Someone gave me this tip recently and I just used it at my mom's for ds's first night at her house not in a crib. Worked like a charm! And if 2 kids are sharing a bed you can put a pillow in the middle also to give each their own 'space'.

Have a great trip!

Or you can push both beds together with an inflatable pool float or a car windshield sunscreen standing between them (the weight of the beds will hold it up). Then put the nightstand or dresser against the 4 yo's open side.

I rearrange the furniture in condo bedrooms for my kid's safety all the time. (And move the knickknacks, too.) I recommend taking a digital photo of the room as soon as you arrive, so that you can put everything back exactly where it was before you leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter