Rental cars and drop fees?

K3kelly

Earning My Ears
I hope someone can help... this is our first cruise (Apr. 12 on DW :banana: ). We are travelling from Canada to Orlando on Apr. 10 to visit SeaWorld before heading to the Port on Sunday am. We are staying at the Renaissance Orlando resort at SeaWorld for Apr. 10 & 11.

Here's the problem... our DD and DS are 5 and 2 so we need transportation with car seats. There are 5 of us in total travelling (3 adults, 2 kiddos). There is no shuttle from MCO to our hotel so we need transport from:
- MCO to hotel in Orlando on Apr. 10, then
- from hotel in Orlando to Port on Apr. 12

DH looked into rentals but was told the drop fees if we picked up the car in Orlando and dropped at the Port were astronomical! :confused3 Anyone have any experience with rentals and the drop fees? We are getting the ME from Port back to WDW after the cruise for a week at the WL so transport is no problem there.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

We were not charged a drop fee by Avis in August to rent from the port to the airport for a one day rental.

Avis, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar, Hertz & Enterprise all have drop off locations in Cape Canaveral & offer complimentary shuttles to/from the port. We were not charged a one way drop off fee from Avis or Budget. I think the drop off fee for Thrifty/Dollar was 15.00, which even with that fee sometimes they are the least expensive. Check out mousesavers for rental car discount codes.

we used enterprise and picked up our vehicle at the huge convention hotel near the Nick suites (it was about 3 miles from POP) and dropped it off at the rental office right down the street from Port Canaveral and we were not charged a drop or one way fee either. Actually, our rental was about $60 and that incl all the ins (so we didn't have to deal w/ worrying about dings or scratches, it was literally almost brand new) I really liked enterprise and will use them again. :goodvibes

The only company that I know charges a drop off fee at Port Canaveral is Thrifty ($15). I know for sure that as of a month ago Budget did not charge a drop off fee. We typically pay under $50 for a one way rental from Budget using available discount codes....sometimes much less. CHeck www.mousesavers.com and www.rentalcodes.com for discount codes.

I thing rentals in general are astronomical but the ony rental that charges a drop fee is Thrifty and as mentioned it is only $15.

That said, in October we used Thrifty and it the cheapest option for us even with the drop fee.

We have also used Budget and Avis at different times as they the cheapest at the time.

MJ

I thing rentals in general are astronomical but the ony rental that charges a drop fee is Thrifty and as mentioned it is only $15.

That said, in October we used Thrifty and it the cheapest option for us even with the drop fee.

We have also used Budget and Avis at different times as they the cheapest at the time.

MJ

How easy or difficult was it to use drop off and then pick-up at Thrifty rental at the port. (shuttle, location, etc.) We are staying a week before and a week after our 7 day crusie in May and Thrifty is the least expensive (by a lot) than Budget or Avis.

Thanks.

Dollar also charged a $15 drop fee. They were the cheapest though still using the codes from mousesavers.

How easy or difficult was it to use drop off and then pick-up at Thrifty rental at the port. (shuttle, location, etc.) We are staying a week before and a week after our 7 day crusie in May and Thrifty is the least expensive (by a lot) than Budget or Avis.

Thanks.

Very easy.....as I mentioned in my other post even with the $15.00 drop fee Thrifty was the cheapest for us at the time.

Dollar and Thrifty are the same company, that is why Dollar also charges a drop fee and I think you can return to thrifty at the port even if you picked up the car a Dollar location (but call to double check).

MJ

We are flying from Nova Scotia to Orlando. We are briging our own booster seats because West Jet allows them for no extra charge. This way we do not have to pay the rental fees.

We are flying from Nova Scotia to Orlando. We are briging our own booster seats because West Jet allows them for no extra charge. This way we do not have to pay the rental fees.

If you are using Budget for your rentals, they will hold your car seats for you at their office while you cruise (so you don't have to take them on the ship and store them). Obviously, this is an optional service--you are welcome to take your care seats to the ship as well. We've always had great service at the Port Canaveral office.....less so at MCO where we encountered a long line on our recent trip. However, we got great rates, no drop off fees.

The only way to know who has the best deal is to price all of the companies using every discount code you can find for YOUR dates. Prices vary widely by date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter