Rental car or town car? MCO-Universal-Port-MCO

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
Not sure what to do.

I found a rental car for $214 for 10 days. We will be traveling from MCO to Universal to Port Canaveral to MCO.

Tolls, gas, parking at the port comes up to about $300 , same price basically as a town car.

We would have more freedom with a car, but we've never driven around Orlando and then we have to worry about parking and shuttling at Port Canaveral.

I like the idea of a town car but I'm a little nervous if we get a rude driver, or what if they don't come pick us up?

Opinions?

Rentals are the best, IMO. You have more freedom. I didn't catch. Will you be returning the rental and not leaving at the port? This would be the cheaper option if not. Then do a one way rental the last day. The freedom of a rental is worth it in our mind every time. Need a case of water, someone needs more sun screen. No problem, run to wal mart or target. I have a lot harder time paying for disney's insane pricing if I don't have to.

I am not a happy camper when driving around new areas. BUT..having said that, I love having a rental car especially when cruising. Are you cruising with DCL?? If so, the parking garage is right across the street from the ship....get off the ship, cross the street and into your car. We actually got to the garage early enough a year ago, to snag a ground level spot, just as you enter the garage from the street...took about 10 mins total to walk off with our bags, cross, stow the bags and exit the garage.
It is always nicer to have your own car....you are free to come and go as you please. Since you are doing several legs on this trip, I would be somewhat nervous about the car service always being on time. I have never had one not show up, but I have had them arrive a bit later than expected.

So...how easy is it to drive in this area??? Very. I would do a mapquest search for directions for all the different legs. Then, print 'em out. I imagine that you most likely have either a stand alone GPS or one within your phone. I use the GPS in my phone, but do plug it into the charger so as to not wear down the battery. Why both GPS and printed directions??? I am one of those people who likes to see it on paper first. Then, I can get an idea in my mind before hitting the road. And, a passenger can hold the printed directions to compare against GPS if there is any question.
Orlando, and the surrounding area, is incredibly well signed for tourists. As is the entire state of Florida, truth be told. I have seldom gotten turned around...never lost.

Go with the rental....I think you'll be happier in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter